NACHOCASTERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bill Hullett, Sep 25, 2012.

1. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

$4,500 for a Tele? I'll pass too.

2. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

Didn't someone make Nacho himself a replica of his old blackguard? I seem to remember a thread around here somewhere...

3. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

An impressive simulation was achieved, AND it sounded great too.

4. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

Nacho made one for the OP...which no doubt started the ball rolling

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NO, Nacho built (with a little help?) a replica for Bill Hullett because Bill kindly gave him his Nocaster 0514..

6. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

ME

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have been neutral on the idea of relicing, in the good sense of the word. I played a reliced Fender Tele (I don't know the types or terms) a few years ago and was I in for a shock. Even though I knew that it was a new guitar than had been built to create the effect of a guitar that has been played over the years, and played in some pretty funky places, at that. But I really, truly, no exaggeration, found that it just settled into my body and hands. It seemed easier for me to get around on the neck and fingerboard than almost any guitar that I have played that I didn't already own. It felt mega-comfortable and ready to go.

In my youth, I had a 54 Strat with a worn maple fingerboard and it reminded me of that. I have never much cared for new fingerboards, as all of my other guitars were older, as well. It is almost like a matter of trust. I don't feel that I can trust a new fingerboard and neck to help me play expressively. A worn instrument appears to have paid its dues, and has a lot of experience with someone's hands on it.

Well, I'm going a little overboard, but I'd just like to go on record as saying I was majorly surprised at how much I liked playing a Fender (is it called Roadworn?) Tele.

Maybe it is a simple matter of getting rid of the tackiness and uniform smoothness of the frets and fingerboard, which encourages a mechanical way of playing, whether we are aware of it or not. I feel so strongly that there seems to really be something there, that I hope someone does a research project into this phenomenon, if that's what it is. For example, there are studies that show that people can be fooled or coaxed into experiencing something, or feeling something even when they are aware of the ruse. So, even though I know a reliced guitar is not old and worn, my musical self believes that it is, and I play accordingly. Maybe many other people experience the same thing, which would explain the unlikely plausibility that a reliced guitar is, in some significant way, a better guitar than a non-reliced one.

Whoa, nellie. I went a little overboard with my claims and suppositions. Time to reel those in a little and come back down to earth.

8. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you're going overboard at all Larry and you probably are on to something...I've always preferred broken in guitars rather than brand new squeaky clean ones...they feel more comfortable...I've got a 90 AVRI strat that had to be re-fretted it had been played so much by the previous owner..but the first time I played it it was like an old pair of slippers that I'd known forever...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

Thanks for the post. Nice guitar. I personally prefer the lightly reliced look. As someone said 'a little goes a long way'. But I will fight for your right to heavy-relic.

10. rbrown

rbrown Tele-Meister

That is sooo freakin' beautiful, nice fiddle Mike

11. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

That horse has been rode hard.

12. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

..or has it.... :D

13. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister

Mike, very nice to see you post here. Good to know you're reading some of this from time to time!

Thanks for all your work and commitment to great stuff.

14. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Nobody knows/cares what PUs are in the Nacho? You would think that would be the very first question around here...

15. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

It would be strumming wear (simulation) you can see several of Keef's guitars are worn in the same area.
    [​IMG]

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

More importantly, what is it? It's a nice pic, but what's the connection to this thread?

I'm still waiting for the answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bill Hullett's had PUs from Ron Ellis in it.

17. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Do Want!

18. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Yes Bill apparently loves Ellis, but wondering what Nacho likes....cannot believe
    this hasnt been part of the discussion, it seems to be all looks first and foremost...way over done and fakey IMO but whatever! jeeez...whats the pickups?

What it looks like doesnt translate into sound yes? Or at least I hope so....:D

19. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Set The Record Straight

Whoa!!!!! I've got set something straight here ... I had a 51 Nocaster that I owned for apx 28 years!!! Sold it about 10 years ago...A few years later Nacho found it and bought it (I'm sure he paid dearly for it) Then after writing the Blackguard book he was insnspired to try his hand at building a relic....I think he did 2 or 3...BUT He made one that was a nick for nick sctratch for scratch duplicate of my original....AND Was nice enough to gift it to me!!!!! (The Nachocaster.....He still owns my original 51).....I am being 100% honest when I say that the guitar he gifted me is a better guitar than the original IMHO......Mine has Ron Ellis pups and It wouldn't suprize me if he had a set in the demo guitar but I'm only speculating..
    Bill Hullett

20. jeff mercer

jeff mercer TDPRI Member

+ 1 !!

Funny, isn't it ! 10 or so years ago, I would've just thought "what a gorgeous ol' blackguard!!" Nowadays I wouldn't have the faintest idea what I'm looking at unless
    someone provides the info as to what it actually is..Original ? Relic ? Buggered if I can tell from just a picture anymore :oops: !
    It's beautiful, Mike..but what IS it. :?:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.