1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

N3 vs N4 (Telecaster)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by umut, Mar 16, 2017.

1. umut

umut TDPRI Member

hi ,
    i have an american deluxe telecaster with n3 pickups,
    i m thinking about n4, what are your experiences,
    is it worth changing them?

thank you

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

I don't have enough experience with the N4 to say much, but I realllyy disliked the N3. Is there a reason you're just thinking of the N4?

3. umut

umut TDPRI Member

Because of 60 cycle hum... I really enjoy n3 but
    I wonder if n4 could be a better choice?...

4. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

There's a lot of noisefree options on the market that are discussed on the TDPRI if you haven't seen them before.

5. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

The N4 bridge is really good! Neck is good too, but the bridge really stood out! I stuck with Bardens but the N4s are a step up from N3s IMO.

6. umut

umut TDPRI Member

so maybe I should try the N3 neck and the 4th gen bridge?

teleNtweed likes this.
  7. Hackweed

Hackweed TDPRI Member

I have a new Tele Elite with n4's.My other Teles are equipped:1 with Dimarzio Twang Kings, the other CS Texas Specials. They all deliver for different reasons and while at home I prefer the Twang Kings ...but for live gig volume the n4's really make up for some loss of frequencies (compared to the TK's), with a completely noise free environment. In live settings nobody will miss some of those frequencies. I have no comparison to n3, but this is my n4 experience.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I did not like N3s I have heard. Not sure about the N4 stuff yet.

9. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

I have N3's on mine and was thinking about the same thing - "upgrading " to N4's. I know there's not a lot of love here for the N3's - I don't mind them at all personally but, like many, I've always been looking for something "better". "Better" is really just "different" and I have come to the realization that the only person that notice's incremental changes is the player. If I need or want a different sound, I just use a different guitar. I am lucky enough to be able to choose between a couple of Tele's and a Strat. And I've found I can get different sounds by working on my playing instead of my guitar...

10. umut

umut TDPRI Member

I agree with what you say. But I do not use the n3 to get the traditional tele sound. They are something else. I need a more traditional smelling but modern feeling. Obviously I am happy with the N3's. I thought that I could go even further with n4. Still not sure :)

11. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

...I know what you mean but it may be a case of diminishing returns - better but not enough to warrant the cost. I really don't know...

68Telebass likes this.
  12. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Actually if I was going to be a risk taker, I would try an N4 for the bridge and a Vintage Noiseless in the neck. I remember really liking that neck pup. However, I have not tried this so please don't interpret this as me encouraging you to do this! But if you do...I'd be REALLY curious how it turns out! :)

13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I had N3s in my Deluxe Tele and although I really like the N4s went with the Custom Shop Blackguards. Let those transients run free and a tele sound like a tele. The Nx anything tend to exude the sound of compression and sometimes you want to cut through. I can compress on a pedal if I want it. As far as noiseless, I've always felt they were a bit of compromise.

I bought a new volume, tone, switch plate and built the standard wiring. That way I can switch things back if needed. The S1 switch was just a little boost in the middle pickup position which was not all that useful. So rather than try to make that work with the new pickups I just replaced everything.

The noiseless pickups just sound too homogenized for my tastes. Love the CSBs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.