N(u)AD aka I Will Soon Own A Marshall Origin 5c. A Couple Of Questions.

Is the Origin 5c as bad as Internet echo chambers make it out to be?

• Yes, it's ruddy awful and Marshall should apologise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Great it isn't. Awful it isn't either.

• It's a 'meh' amp

• It's limited, but can be fun once you've dialled in to it

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • In the field of single-ended cheapies, it's pretty good

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Why did I buy a second-hand Marshall?
Why an Origin 5c, maybe the least liked Marshall all-valve amp in recent history?
Am I an idiot? ( This isn't up for debate. The answer is 'yes' The question rhetorical )

I'm not usually keen on the little Marshalls. The older DSL5 and 15 combos were not to my taste. Frankly, my Hotone Purple Wind through a 10" cab blew them into the weeds tonally, if not volume wise. The Hotone is something of an outlier though.
I watched a few Youtube videos, and some -very- fine sounds were being produced when it was mic'd properly! The driver isn't centered. This point was lost on a lot of reviewers. A fair few videos sounded just like a halfway decent amp driving a Celestion Eight-15 that hasn't been given the time or thrashing it needs to soften out the harsh edges.

Anybody own one?
Anybody swapped the output transformer to allow 4/8/16 Ohm loads instead of the stock 16 Ohm only?
I'm not that bothered about swapping out the stock speaker as the Eight-15 is OK, I have cabs to drive with it anyway.

There seems to be an Internet consensus of echoed wisdom that it's a bit of a lame duck. I view such herd condemnation ( or indeed praise ) with a skeptics eye unless all concerned have owned or at least played through pilloried equipment.

If nothing else, I can play it for a while and probably flip it without loss.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I really don’t think that they are not liked. I think that the opposite is true. I picked up a floor model Origin 50C at a good price and I really liked the amp. The Origin’s power reduction worked great and it had good bass and sound at low volumes. I have no experience using the Origin at band volumes but I’m sure that it would do okay.

I’ve since sold Origin and bought another vintage Marshall, but I have no regrets, whatsoever with buying the Origin.

Congratulations on your new amp.

TIM5150

TDPRI Member
I used to own one. I didn’t have it very long. I wanted to love it, but it really wasn’t very good.
I thought it would be an updated, better version of the class 5,which I’ve always kinda liked,but I think Marshall really took a step back with this.
It could’ve had such great potential.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I cannot speak for the 5, but I have a 20 head which is superb. I think much of the perceived dislike comes from the fact people don't realise they are not meant to sound like the Marshall's we know and love, but the blues breaker era type, and so people don't hear what they expect to hear and think it's a problem with the amp sound.
For me I love the cleans u can get out of them, I think they are a cool amp, hope you like yours

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
If you're used to Fenders getting a fat tone can be challenging. I think the O5 doesn't have Tilt but the rest of the preamp is the same.

Treble about 9-10 o'clock, mids 3-4 o'clock, bass dimed. Presence fairly low.

As @gimmeatele says, you won't get Plexi or jcm tones. You'll get Beanno/Clapton dirt.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
you won't get Plexi or jcm tones. You'll get Beanno/Clapton dirt.
For fat ( phat? ) Fender-ish, I have a Joyo AS and a lovely selection of Champ-a-likes. I just wanted something different. My Hotone Purple Wind does 70's/80's Marshall tones to a tee. Its FX out into a power stage ( FX in ) of a valve amp is more than lovely. Schenker/Raymond-like in an instant.
If not buyers regret, I developed a rapid and deep sense of doubt. Marshall dropped the 5c quite quickly. Perhaps blinkered vision meant that after paying, I only found critical reviews from 'users' and the usual gushing praise from press outlets.
It does make one question one's choices.

'Beano' tones?, heck yeah. I'll go for that.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Yea I used to have the 50 head. I loved it. Once I learned it. It seemed to be pitched/told as a modern “Plexi” yea get that image out of your head. I bought it looking for that. Not happening. But once you open it up. It is a very solid amp that definitely holds its own in the Marshall lineup IMO.

The tilt feature is cool. I guess that’s where the “plexi” myth came from. Of course you have EQ. But the tilt makes it respond more like a bright/normal channel. Like the old plexi channel jumping. But that’s where the similarities ended.

Can’t speak for the 5C. But if it’s anything like my 50. You’ll have fun

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
For fat ( phat? ) Fender-ish, I have a Joyo AS and a lovely selection of Champ-a-likes. I just wanted something different. My Hotone Purple Wind does 70's/80's Marshall tones to a tee. Its FX out into a power stage ( FX in ) of a valve amp is more than lovely. Schenker/Raymond-like in an instant.
If not buyers regret, I developed a rapid and deep sense of doubt. Marshall dropped the 5c quite quickly. Perhaps blinkered vision meant that after paying, I only found critical reviews from 'users' and the usual gushing praise from press outlets.
It does make one question one's choices.

'Beano' tones?, heck yeah. I'll go for that.

I can't speak to the Origin5 but I love my Origin20 combo. It's not a JTM clone by any means, but it's voiced closer to a JTM than a Plexi. The 20 sounds great clean and has a wide sweet spot of edge-of-breakup/just-breaking-up/low gain tones.

Of course there are a million ways to get that classic Marshall tone, but the Origin20 certainly has it in spades if you're not too scarred from your bad experience with the 5.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Love my 50H. Edge of break-up blues tones reign supreme, up to and beyond GVF/Crowes/Whiskey Myers.

Takes pedals really well, and I don’t use the boost as at loud volumes I really don’t need to.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
It arrived!
Bright and early!
I'm not bright when it's early!

It's an Origin 5c. It looks identical to all other unmolested Origin 5c amplifiers.
Here's an image I blagged from the Internet.
marshallorigin5c.jpg

This is an ape drinking a beer

beerspong.jpg

First impressions :

It looks nice.
The control knobs feel cheap.
The pots feel cheap.
Access for the mains lead, loop and footswitch lead me to believe a head version was planned. I may have to buy another 90deg IEC connector.

None of that matters though.
Sound. Sound is what matters. I had doubts when confirmation or critical biases were tweaked. Internet wisdom isn't kind to this amplifier. I'm old enough to know better than to be swayed by Internet wisdom when the spouters themselves haven't tried the item in question.
The speaker. Yes, it's a Celestion Eight-15. Like the Ten-30 and Seventy-80, it is a better speaker than 'wisdom' would have you believe. If the label was changed to 'Custom Celestion V-Type', it'd fare a lot better. Witness many amps with such a speaker not being criticised for their driver while the non-fluff named models are written about in a most derisory manner. Eye-listening. Me-too bandwagon surfing.
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Eight-15 in low power amps once it has had a few hours of stern playing
Bedding the speaker in, rounding the spikes out if you will, knocking those high-spots from the note attack and you're rewarded with a perfectly functional speaker. It isn't thirty year old Jensen AlNiCo good, but it makes a nice enough sound. Heck, I used to gig with a solid state amp and a pair of Seventy-80 speakers and no-one ever had a bad word to say about my tone.
The basic Celestions reproduce what they're fed with little colouring.
I was really impressed by the sound on first power up. This amp may well have had a fair few hours of loud use. I'm a fan of tiddler amps. 5 Watts is really 4 too many for my use these days.
I started with the boost off. Bass 10, middle 4, treble 5, tilt 8, low power, volume 2. Using the neck pickup on my 50's Classic Vibe, the amp responded beautifully. I played about with the tone controls a little, but was quite happy with where they were to begin with. I just took the values from my Hotone...
The bridge pickup required a roll-off of the guitar tone control to control the ice-pick, but that's normal.

Boost on.

Even on the low power mode, it gets 'bedroom' loud. Very controllable from the guitar. The bridge pickup icyness seems lessened when the 'boost' is active.

Volume to 8
LOUD!
Lovely!
I'm impressed. Very controllable from the guitar. A sound I can easily live with.

I haven't tried the loop or any pedals yet. A touch of delay to fatten things out and maybe the Spring King in the loop for some clangy goodness and dry surfing. I may try my compressor to see if I can bring a little more top end sparkle, but otherwise, I don't have buyers regret.

I did connect it to a 1x10" fitted with a Jensen MOD 10-50 As is to be expected, the 1x10" sounds an order of magnitude 'personal preference better', but I'm not going to spend any money replacing the on-board Celestion just yet.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
This is how I run my Origin50H

Pres 6
Mast 5
Trble 6
Mids 6
Bass 3
Tilt 7
Gain 8/9 (no boost)

For a great classic rock tone. Works well for a Blues tone too. Into a 212 fitted with Celestion G12 Vintage 30s

Neptical

TDPRI Member
This is how I run my Origin50H

Pres 6
Mast 5
Trble 6
Mids 6
Bass 3
Tilt 7
Gain 8/9 (no boost)

For a great classic rock tone. Works well for a Blues tone too. Into a 212 fitted with Celestion G12 Vintage 30s

Almost identical to how I'm currently running my 50h as well - with the exception with Bass on 5, Boost Pulled ( adds some nice low end) and Full Output. Boosted with a Boss SD-1 in to a RAT II and a FatRat.

Such a rich, organic tone with some super nice glassiness. I play them through a V30 Soldano 4x12 and JCM 800 1960 G12T75 4x12. I was so excited over the first 50h that I bought another one. Of course, that lead me to a 1987 clone that is on the way.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I like my 50W combo with a Swamp Thang speaker in it.

Try rolling all the knobs all the way up and make adjustments with the guitar.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
I remained somewhat ambivalent about it. Sure, I could get some very nice sounds from it. A slapback delay up front and my SpringKing in the FX loop fattened the sound up nicely, but I always seemed to be adjusting it. I sort of would have liked a tone bypass on it, or just a simple treble cut, but it is what it is.
I jury rigged an FX loop volume control with a 100K log pot and the working ends of a couple of broken patch cables, which works very well, but even better is my attenuator twixt it and the speaker. Got to get that OT saturating.
I initially considered replacing the OT with one with 4&8 Ohm taps. I have a couple of spares that'd work just fine, but decided 'sod it, I'm too lazy' Although it's limited to 16 Ohms, the attenuator can be used for impedance matching, should the need arise.

I did, however, make one rookie error.

I was browsing the Hotrox site; browsing the Jensen speakers, when I happened upon the MOD 8-20 in 16 Ohms. I didn't mean to buy it. The Celestion isn't that bad, but a few things niggled me. There were treble spikes when I made squealies. It's sound just fine, then a banshee entered the room for a second, made its presence known, then left. It was unbalanced.
It wasn't the amp. I ran it into a MOD 10-50 1x10" cab with no ill effects. Being curious, I connected my Hotone Nano to the Celestion. The odd spikes remained. Hmmm. It also showed just how damn fine those tiddlers are, sonically, too.

Hence browsing Hotrox.

The MOD 8-20 arrived this morning. Not sure how that happened. It's easy to replace the speaker in these, but beware the lack of cabinet depth.
I'd posit the issue is the Celestion and cabinet don't match each other, or rather they do, in a bad way. To my ears. The Jensen however....
Oh boy. A match made in heaven! For want of a better term, it responds in a more linear fashion. Artificial harmonics, no matter where they're pulled, sound like squealies now. No odd pockets of frequencies. The response across the volume range doesn't have me altering the tone controls. Tilt full clockwise, set a basic tone stack and play. Full power, volume up to '7', attenuator keeping the peace and control the clipping from the guitar. No unexpected strident honks, like a goose being goosed, just a really nice sound.

The stock valves in mine are JJ for all three. I played around with V1 and found the differences to be marginal. A 6n2p-EV with an adapter was front-runner, until I went to swap it out and the adapter remained in the socket. Much cursing and piggling later, I retrieved it. An ancient, and very used ( daily use from 1962 to mid 2010's in an FM tuner, so light but extended duties ) was creamier than Cornish clotted, but it's already earmarked for a Champ build. I pulled the JJ 5751 I have in a Champ-a-like, and may well buy another for this.
V2?, everything sounded the same. Likewise with V3.

Out of curiosity, I fitted the Celestion into the cab I have for the Champ build. It sounds pretty good in it too when driven by the Origin. This adds further weight to my enfeebled mind that that speaker and the Marshall cabinet weren't made for each other. while some very nice sounds can be made, there are some odd artefacts too. The Jensen swap seems to have eliminated that.

Onward!

KirkDahnke

TDPRI Member
Why did I buy a second-hand Marshall?
Why an Origin 5c, maybe the least liked Marshall all-valve amp in recent history?
Am I an idiot? ( This isn't up for debate. The answer is 'yes' The question rhetorical )

I'm not usually keen on the little Marshalls. The older DSL5 and 15 combos were not to my taste. Frankly, my Hotone Purple Wind through a 10" cab blew them into the weeds tonally, if not volume wise. The Hotone is something of an outlier though.
I watched a few Youtube videos, and some -very- fine sounds were being produced when it was mic'd properly! The driver isn't centered. This point was lost on a lot of reviewers. A fair few videos sounded just like a halfway decent amp driving a Celestion Eight-15 that hasn't been given the time or thrashing it needs to soften out the harsh edges.

Anybody own one?
Anybody swapped the output transformer to allow 4/8/16 Ohm loads instead of the stock 16 Ohm only?
I'm not that bothered about swapping out the stock speaker as the Eight-15 is OK, I have cabs to drive with it anyway.

There seems to be an Internet consensus of echoed wisdom that it's a bit of a lame duck. I view such herd condemnation ( or indeed praise ) with a skeptics eye unless all concerned have owned or at least played through pilloried equipment.

If nothing else, I can play it for a while and probably flip it without loss.
I bought the 20H and love it now that I watched this video for settings. Dont know if it'll translate to the 5C. If I had the 5C I'd run it into a 1x12 with a greenback. Which is what I use with my head and it sounds great.

Last edited: