1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

N(O)GD... Guild D-40!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AxemanVR, Mar 20, 2017.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Some of you may remember a thread I started back in Jan of this year (2017) where I stopped by Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse Wisconsin while I was in the neighborhood...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/going-to-daves-guitar-tomorrow.703263/

Daves A.JPG

...and while there I checked out this guitar...

IMG_8321.JPG

It's a 2007 Guild D-40 "Bluegrass Jubilee". Don't let the "Bluegrass" part throw you off - It plays like butter and has a tone so rich that I should have bought it right then and there, but I decided to wait until the excitement wore off, figuring that if I still wanted it later (and it still hadn't sold) then it must have been "meant to be"...

Well, it must have been meant to be, because today I pulled the trigger and am happily awaiting my latest acquisition.

I was going to drive there myself but I couldn't find the time right now and, besides that, I actually end up saving almost $90 in taxes by having it shipped for free!

I'll send picts when I get it...

`

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    xafinity and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  2. AxemanVR

`
    It has arrived!

D40 Rcv'd 03-21-2017a.JPG

Unfortunately...

D40 Rcv'd 03-21-2017b.JPG

Sorry for the buzz-kill!

Anyway, a quick story while we wait...

Back in 1999 I was looking for a new acoustic guitar. My old Takamine had a cracked bridge that I didn't want to deal with, so off to guitar shopping I went!

I tried everything I could get my grubby little hands on: Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Seagulls, Washburn... you name it. They all played well and sounded great, but didn't quite have "That" sound, if you know what I mean.

Then I picked up a Guild D-25 with a tobacco sunburst and I fell instantly in love!

It was sweet, it was smooth, it was delicious... it was also $1400, so I continued looking and stumbled upon a Fender DG22CE with a Blueburst finish and I'll be damned if it didn't sound and play as sweet as the Guild! Plus it was only around $500, so I got that instead (and still love and cherish it to this day).

But all the while that Guild hung in the back of my mind, so when I found this D-40 it was like deja vu. The sound, the feel, in fact everything except the sunburst finish was there.

After much contemplating on whether or not I really "needed" the D-40 (since my DG22CE is still amazing) I decided "what the hell" and the rest is history!

Anyway, that's my sappy little love story...

`

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    richiek65 likes this.
  3. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Those would literally be the worst 24h of my life!

AxemanVR likes this.
  4. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

I bought a brand new Guild D35-NT in 1971, local store was going out of business and had a half price sale. Pretty close to the D40, except no inlay on the headstock. Paid $135 for it.

64Strat and AxemanVR like this.
  5. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha.....yes, that would be a tough 24 hours to endure.
    I always liked Guild and the acoustic in my avatar is a 1973 Guild D-40 Sunburst.
    I purchased it in April 1978 for $300 cash.

Have fun at the Christening tomorrow. :)

AxemanVR likes this.
  6. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

So.... when it wintertime and the old Bluegrass boys(pick a band) was a-tourin'...... 6 to a sedan and all that.... rollin' up and down the back roads across the Appalachians in all kinds of weather... and they had their gear stowed on the roof, or in the trunk... and drove for hours and hours betwixt gigs.... their (prewar!) guitars musta gotten cold as ice. Then they arrive at the gig, everybody hauls their gear in, they change clothes, tune up, smoke a cigarette, pass the bottle around, and start
    a-playin'.
    Where was this 24 hour waiting period in the olden days...?

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Just last week, my brother-in-law picked up a 1981 D-25, at the Syracuse NY GC, for $550 (4 for the guitar, 150 for a new Roadrunner case). He says it's immaculate, no scars at all.

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

`
    I actually bought a D-35 off eBay in the early 2000's for something like $450 but it got crushed during shipping. I got my money back but I think it soured my Guild quest for a while after that (even though that was the only bad experience I've had with eBay).

I'm just sorry I didn't get a chance to hear how it sounded...

`

9. AxemanVR

`
    LOL

Yeah, I hear you, and I'm really not all that worried about it (since the weather here isn't that cold right now), but it does supposedly have an all nitro finish and I've seen what happens when they check, crack and start literally flaking off, so I'm just going to be patient and wait til tomorrow to open her up...

`

10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I played a couple Guilds at a local shop over the weekend and they were very nice. Actually had me thinking of selling one of my electrics and picking up a quality acoustic. All my flat tops are beaters. Congrats! Looks like a cherry.

AxemanVR likes this.
  11. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I've always liked those Guild dreads, but I've never timed things right. When a guitar is offered for sale, I don't have the money (imagine that...!), and when I could afford to stretch and buy one, there never seem to be any available. I always found it odd that
    Guild assigned the D-40 the "Bluegrass Jubilee" name, but you seldom see it used by Bluegrass musicians.
    Great guitars by any measure, however. Congratulations!

AxemanVR likes this.
  12. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

IMG_0509.JPG I bought an early '60s Guild D-40 in 1967 at a pawnshop in Victorville, California for $100.

Does not get played nearly enough.

OlRedNeckHippy and AxemanVR like this.
  13. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

A D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee? IIRC, those have Adirondack tops. I played one once, and it's one of my grail guitars.

Noice!

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Guilds!.jpg
    In 1976 I bought a 2 year old Guild D-25 from a co-worker for my wife. She passed on it because of the Mahogany stained top. Became my first great acoustic. A year later I found a Blond Guild D-35 for her. What a pair these two have been since then. The contrast of the arched D-25 & the braced D-35 together is great. Last fall a friend who deals in vintage instruments brought me a 1996 Guild F-4Ce to check the pickup on before he put it up for sale. Somehow he never got that opportunity since I ended up buying it. Became my second great acoustic guitars.

Wonderful guitars.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  15. AxemanVR

`
    Yes, it does have the Adirondack "Red" Spruce top, which differs from the Sitka spruce used on their "regular" D-40 versions.

I can't say whether this makes a huge difference in tone or not, but I personally believe every acoustic guitar has it's own unique voice, even if it was made the same day, at the same factory, using the same materials, by the same builder.

And that's why I feel good about jumping on this one, since there's no guarantee another one like it will come along anytime soon...

`

Round Bale and Generic Schmoe like this.
  16. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure glad to hear the contemporary Guild builds are still a quality instrument.
    I'd heard some unpleasant rumors several years ago that their consistency/quality had been questioned.
    Glad I caught this thread. :)

Back in 1976....our lead guitarist was selling his Guild D-50. (two years before my purchase)
    I forgot what he was asking for it at the time but I we were all in college on GI Bill and I just couldn't swing it.
    It played beautifully and the action was surprisingly easy on the fingers when compared to my current D-40.

Carry on....

AxemanVR and Generic Schmoe like this.
  17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I too am glad to see this thread. I've got a birthday coming up this summer and I'm shopping for a quality acoustic in the $2,000 range. Y'all know how it is-you scour Craigslist, you read reviews, you listen to vids on Youtube...then good sense kicks in and you tell yourself to just wait till you go out and play a bunch. So maybe the one for me will be a Guild. I remember the story of Mississippi John Hurt being invited to play at the Newport Folk Festival in the early 60's. The Festival people decided to buy John a guitar and showed him a fancy Martin OO-42. Instead, John choose a Guild F-30.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Guilds are great acoustics! Congrats on the D40!

I have three.

In 1971, I bought a new D35. I still have it... and it is awesome. Along the way, I had the nut and saddle replaced with ivory. Back when you could still do that.

I also have a 1966 F47.... also awesome. and a Guild MkII from '74, that is a very nice nylon string guitar.

AxemanVR likes this.
  19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Enjoy your new guitar day! :)

AxemanVR likes this.
  20. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

Find a walk-in freezer and play it right now.

AxemanVR and Round Bale like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.