Mystery volunteer plant

davo8411

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
What appears to be a type of squash plant popped up in our small suburban backyard. This plant is easily fifteen feet long, but it only has ONE melon/veggie so far. It is growing quickly. We initially thought it may be a spaghetti squash, but we’re not sure. Any guesses?

DEB2386F-9760-44F2-9309-CC1E2D06461B.jpeg

Attachments

• B7C34E93-01F1-40DE-9F4C-C1D1B7D51209.jpeg
    B7C34E93-01F1-40DE-9F4C-C1D1B7D51209.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9AD68BB5-B6E2-441A-B912-5DBDD06ECC5E.jpeg
    9AD68BB5-B6E2-441A-B912-5DBDD06ECC5E.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 25

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'll second that it could be an immature pumpkin, but could be a tatume or other squash.
I'd let it grow out of curiosity, but probably wouldn't eat it unless I was sure. Some squash are toxic. Apparently the toxin is very bitter, so if you do try it, taste a small bit first.

fishermike

Tele-Meister
I'll second that it could be an immature pumpkin, but could be a tatume or other squash.
I'd let it grow out of curiosity, but probably wouldn't eat it unless I was sure. Some squash are toxic. Apparently the toxin is very bitter, so if you do try it, taste a small bit first.
Thanks for that. I had never heard of such a thing. Sounds like "volunteer" squash plants are indeed risky. Learn something new every day!

Donnie55

Tele-Afflicted
What appears to be a type of squash plant popped up in our small suburban backyard. This plant is easily fifteen feet long, but it only has ONE melon/veggie so far. It is growing quickly. We initially thought it may be a spaghetti squash, but we’re not sure. Any guesses?

View attachment 1033705
Looks like a young watermelon

davo8411

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Jeez Louise! We were looking forward to eating it if it was edible. Think we will just let it ripen to see what it is and then toss it. It is growing fast.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Does anyone remember spitting out watermelon seeds there?

I have volunteer cherry toms, zucchini and cannabis... SoCal, it's, like, a normal thing here....

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Does anyone remember spitting out watermelon seeds there?

I have volunteer cherry toms, zucchini and cannabis... SoCal, it's, like, a normal thing here....
This year I got 4 volunteer sweet banana pepper plants. I thought they were weeds at first but the leaves had a strong resemblance to some larger ones. (this is PA and peppers are usually put in as small plants 3-8" in mid-may. These sprouted from fallen dead peppers)
Since leaving them go they are out performing some of the "normally" planted peppers. Great taste too!
EDIT: I should also say that they are all sprouting out of a 4 inch square patch of flower bed. No 6 inch space between these buggers. Maybe get another pic. EDIT: almost dark and leaf wilting chilly but here're volunteers. (with the yellowish leaves)

Attachments

• pepper volunteers.jpg
    pepper volunteers.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

davo8411

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The bright yellow blossoms on this plant are more in line with squash, not watermelon. The odd thing is, whatever it is, it’s not something we ever bought or grew before so it’s a bit of a mystery as to how it got here. We actually had two previous ones pop up a couple of weeks before this one, but I just mowed those down before they were even six inches long. When this third one popped up, we decided to let it grow just for the fun of it.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
The bright yellow blossoms on this plant are more in line with squash, not watermelon. The odd thing is, whatever it is, it’s not something we ever bought or grew before so it’s a bit of a mystery as to how it got here. We actually had two previous ones pop up a couple of weeks before this one, but I just mowed those down before they were even six inches long. When this third one popped up, we decided to let it grow just for the fun of it.
Most plants that you buy to plant are hybrid. Seeds planted from hybrid plants, or seeds that volunteer, will usually not be true to the parent plant, but could be an interesting new cultivar. If it's good save the seed because they WILL be true to parent plant.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
If you're on a septic tank don't eat it! My folks had the biggest, prettiest tomatoes growing in a rows right down the drain line. 🙄
There are places on this planet where poop is used to cook food. Other places where poop is used to cook poop so it'll make safe fertilizer.....

I myself use Peter's professional in the 25lb sack....

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Most plants that you buy to plant are hybrid. Seeds planted from hybrid plants, or seeds that volunteer, will usually not be true to the parent plant, but could be an interesting new cultivar. If it's good save the seed because they WILL be true to parent plant.
Actually, it's kind of dangerous to do that with peppers. My neighbor was growing some tiny little peppers that are so hot that only parrots can eat them (they don't taste heat).

So when I grew some california green chilies from seed from the previous year, I had no way of knowing the bees had cross pollinated my peppers with those.

I had a BEAUTIFULLY smoked sirloin roast ready to eat, so I took a bite of the chili at the same time as I had a bite of the roast.

It was delicious for 3 seconds and then my breath became pepper spray and everyone at the table got maced. I spent the next 45 minutes cursing under my breath hoping I didn't have to go to the ER.....

Because my breath was spreading it, it went into my eyes, my nose, made my ears burn. I felt that pain for a week....

Donnie55

Tele-Afflicted

View attachment 1033705
Lets start a contest and have the mods give the winner a new Telecaster.... lol