Mystery Transformer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bad_rudy, Jan 19, 2020.

1. bad_rudy

bad_rudy TDPRI Member

image.jpg Picked up a Loewe-Opta (west Germany) radio today for random parts. Got it for nothing. The chassis was so tight I couldn't actually see what was connected to what on the PT before removing it. Now I’m testing and find myself confused, and suspecting maybe something has blown.

There are six wires in total. The rectifier was solid state, so I figured the primary, HV secondary, and 6.3V secondary (was running an el84 output tube). However, I suspect because it is European (but made for US market so takes 120V input), the color scheme is unfamiliar. So far, I get measurable resistance / continuity across the following pairs: red and black (large gauge) and yellow and red (thin gauge). Remaining wires are blue and green, but they are literally a single filament of copper in each, and the volt meter doesn’t see any connection between the two, or between either and any other wire on the PT. Anyone have any idea what they story might be?

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Try gently sanding or filing the copper strands on those two wires, sometimes they have enamel on the conductor in addition to the insulation and that will keep you from getting a reading.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.