Mystery P90s from eBay..?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by merseymale, Aug 5, 2020.

1. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

2. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

The ones with large pole pieces (non- dog ear) do not look like P90 construction, but possibly strat type single coil in a P90 cover.

3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I can't identify any of those. The ones that are gooped look like it could've been a DIY job rather than original, but I'm not positive.

I can say that a number of builders have made pickups that use a P90 coil, only with rod magnets instead the usual polescrew/dual bar magnet design.

These usually give a brighter, snappier sound with fast attack because the magnetic field is more focused, sensing a narrower section of string. Still fatter sounding than a Strat pickup but glassier than your typical P90. On the average, a little less grind and a hint of chime.

I have a pair of custom winds from Jerry Sentell which are made that way,

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

PS -I'm getting "missing image" messages on three of those links, and the bottom three Imgur links weren't inserted properly either.

When you click on a pic in Imgur, click the bottom-most blue Copy button in the window that pops up; the button will say "Linked BBCode (message boards)" next to it. Then paste that link directly in the body of your message, not using the image button in the toolbar.
    You'll get the image without the white surround that often accompanies Imgur links.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.