1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mystery Fender Blonde Piggyback

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ethan2776, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Ethan2776

Ethan2776 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

This head + cab is for sale on my local craigslist. As you can see from the pics it's a Blonde Piggyback with a black Vibroverb faceplate.

From what I know about Blonde Piggybacks, I don't believe this model was ever produced by Fender.

The seller states he thinks it may be a 1969 40W Bandmaster Reverb that someone re-housed and then put a Vibroverb plate on it.

Based on the pics of the back panel, I'm thinking it looks like an early 60's Vibroverb or Pro Reverb (Bandmaster Reverbs have a mids knob, which this doesn't).

Asking price is $800 which seems way too good to be true.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BramptonRob1958 and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I believe its relatively easy to convert a Bandmaster to a Vibroverb. It has Bandmaster - like controls and back panel. That's my guess with this amp. Pictures of the circuit would confirm this.
    $800 might not be bad if it sounds good but it is far from an authentic vintage amp.
    I've seen ads for original Bandmaster Reverb heads asking $800 so his asking price seems reasonable.
    I'd love to hear it.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I'm betting its a Vibroverb chassis that has been mounted into a later Bandmaster or Dual Showman cabinet that got recovered in blonde tolex! Not a bad thing and I doubt anyone in their right mind would convert a glorious Vibroverb into a so, so Bandmaster! If it works even OK, I'd snag just to see what it actually is. At that price, you could certainly mod it to whatever spec you choose (within reason) and not likely take much of a $$$ hit, if any! Looks great and looks like the speaker may actually be a JBL?

If you do get it, please get back to us with more info. Enquiring minds want to know!

Just My Thoughts On It!
    Gene

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. Ethan2776

Ethan2776 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to go play it and report back.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

A41507 Id's it as a 70-72 Bandmaster non reverb. The BM and VV were the same width.
    No Rectiier tube right?
    There were some BF VV aftermarket faceplates around for a while.
    $800 for it AND the cab seems like a decent deal.
    You can get BM heads for as low as $500 so add $300 for the cab (JBL?) and it's a good deal.

6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

The Bandmaster Reverb heads were the donor of choice during the late lamented SRV/Vibroverb mania 25-30 yrs ago. Does anybody really want to play a Strat through a JBL?

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Go look at it. If it sounds ok, *buy it now.*

That's a Fender "tone ring" cabinet. I can't tell exactly, but from the porportions it looks like a 12" speaker. The speaker is mounted in a rear baffle board that floats behind the front baffle board with an opening that's probably sized for a 15" speaker. The baffle boards are separated by blocks and the open perimeter forms a port that extends the low end. One of the ideas is that the bass could be turned down at the amp so the tone stack would emphasize midrange, but the ported cab would still project sufficient low end.

From the head sitting between the chrome knobs it looks like it's a Bandmaster or Showman cab with 25" spacing. It's got a BF logo on it which is rong for the cab. Tone ring cabs weren't built in the BF era, not even during the transition from brownface.

With only 6 knobs on the trem/rev channel, that looks like a BF Vibroverb chassis in a Bandmaster Reveb or Showman Reverb head cab.

Some thoughts:
    1. Someone expert needs to verify my call that this is a tone ring cab.
    2. If so, this is a great score.
    3. The cab is worth at least as much as the head, if not more.
    4. The head should sound good if you're wanting a big BF tone.
    5. The brains can be pulled out of the head and put into a new Vibrosonic combo cab w/another speaker.

I'm still working on the chassis serial number.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Like the others have said, it seems like a good deal what-ever it turns out to being.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That serial number and the controls do not fit...unless I am missing something....and it has been one of those days!!
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm
    Right now I am thinking that it could be a non-reverb Bandmaster chassis that has been converted to an AB763 Vibroverb by punching another hole in the front panel. The AD1269 did not have a mid control, and with no reverb only had five holes in the Vib channel.....Or....it is a Bandmaster Reverb AA1069 that has been changed to a Vibroverb and has an empty hole behind that faceplate???? One would want to see the inside and start dating all components and analyzing what goes on.
    At any rate, at best it is a cool looking player’s amp that is a true dead ringer for something like you ain’t never seen!

10. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

tone_ring.jpg

Wally, rdjones and archetype like this.
  11. ampking300

ampking300 Tele-Meister

Archtype, I believe that you are 100% correct in stating that this cab is a Showman 12 cab and has 25" spacing, center to center for the amp hold down inserts. Also looks to have a JBL speaker, original ones came with the JBL D131F 16 ohm speaker, a pretty rare speaker. If this is a Showman 12 cab, IMHO this cab alone is worth the asking price. All of the blackface Showman 12, rough and smooth blond tolex tone ring cabs were still only 30" wide right up until they switched to black tolex in January/February 1964 and the Showman 12 black tolex tone ring cabs were now 32" wide.Fender only kept the Showman 12 tone ring cabs up until the end of 1966. All of the blond tolex, rough and smooth and 30" wide cabs were made from Sept. 1963 to January/February 1964 and are Production 1/2/3 models. Black face/black tolex Showman 12 cabs are exceedingly rare and are all 32" wide , right up until their last year of production in 1966. Quit strange why Fender made the Showman 12 tone ring cab 30" wide when their Bassman/Bandmaster cabs were 32" wide with 2x12" speakers starting in January 1962 and their 30" wide Showman tone ring cab was made with this width right up until the very end of 1963. Perhaps Fender thought of the extra cost of these tone ring cabs and only decided to keep their very best cab as a tone ring version. The Showman 15 was also kept in their line up right up until the end of 1969. On a personal note, I have finally bought a condominium with enough storage space to spread out my left over 400+ vintage amps/speakers/cabs,( basement is 1315 sf of open space with 8' ceilings and have a 300 sf garage with 10' ceilings for all my big rigs ). This is the remainder of my 54 years of collecting these beauts,+ our very first home which we will own, and to think just, I will be 70 yrs. old next year. I have about 20 tone ring cabs and at least 8 or 10 of these are Showman12/15 cabs. In about 6 months or so, when I get some what organized, I will post photos of these great tone ring cabs, along with some other rare birds, until then, keep on rockin', Ray.

Wally, rdjones and archetype like this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Ray, I always appreciate the detail you bring to these threads. I remember you're "the tone ring guy."

13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have two tone ring cabs and that is definitely one of those. I have a Bandmaster and a Bassman, both 12".
    Great cabinets. Used one for years with a Blues DeVille 4-10 sitting on top.
    As stated, that's not a Vibroverb chassis if it doesn't have a rectifier tube.

14. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

I would bet a Coke that this is what is so. That's a recovered BMR head cab and I bet the speaker cab is a repro (Crusty Cabs loved making 1x15 repro cabs for Vibroclones, I wonder what happened to Crusty?).

I think $800 is a solid price for head and cab and I would pay that if I liked how it sounded, modded and all. If it proves to be a genuine Fender cab, well then, there's the story for Antiques Roadshow.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    jkats and Wally like this.
  15. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

It's cool regardless of provenance, like that 70's Tele with the humbucker that someone posted on here recently--a real-life version of the vintage modified stuff that Fender is doing now (and for that matter, wired point to point instead of built on a circuit board). If it seems like it's in good working order and sounds good, grab it.

16. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

thought I saw that locally (St Petersburg) and was interested, but not enough to bite. Got too many amps already LOL, it would be a waste here.

17. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

from the ad, "All tube powered Blond tolex head and matching cabinet with 15" speaker. Good looking amp. Faceplate says Vibroverb but it’s most likely a Bandmaster Reverb with a switched out front face. Excellent shape. Very sweet sound. About 40 watts. Good for keyboards, bass or guitar."

18. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Florida? I wonder if it's a Larry Rodgers cab?

19. schmee

20. schmee

It is ID'd as a SF BandMaster non reverb chassis 70-72 from the stamped number. It probably is a BMR wood cabinet other wise why build one that tall! The VV, BM and BMR are all 25" wide cabs/ same width chassis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.