Mystery Critter

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Westerly Sunn, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I work 3rd shift and get up @ 11PM.

Tonight, at around 10:40 PM, I was awoken by a banging and clattering.
    As I got up, there was another short burst of the same accompanied by a metallic clanging...

I made my way into the hallway and paused to listen. Shortly, It occurred again and I realized it was not coming from a window as in an attempted entry, but rather from beneath the house in the crawlspace. It seemed to be coming from beneath the bathroom just to my left.

I entered the bathroom and banged on the wall and flushed the toilet. That, indeed, caused a commotion along with, I'm pretty certain, a hissing...

At that point, I was thinking it was possibly a opossum. But why would a opossum be displaying such behavior, I wondered. Whatever it was, it seemed to be hung up by something and trying to escape. There was nothing to indicate a 2nd animal such as a predator that would cause crazed behavior by the one I was hearing.

Female Cats will get under a house and up beneath bathtubs, hiding, or looking for a place to hide, kittens. But female Cats are not generally so stupid as to get hung up, or act without stealth and draw attention to themselves. Besides, this thing just had to be bigger and heavier and louder than a female cat... from my perspective, anyway! :eek: :lol:

Anyway, I get dressed and by that time, the disturbance has ceased, but I get the rifle and flashlight and go out to check.

None of the access point covers to the crawlspace had been disturbed. The gratings in the vent openings were all intact. I don't know how something as large and heavy as this critter sounded could have gotten in there... :confused:

It's always something... Innit? :rolleyes:

I removed the cover to the access point that is right under the bathroom and left it open. There was insulation disturbed and hanging down in that area, but I'm pretty sure it was like that to begin with.

Anyone care to speculate? :lol:

2. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

well.......

My guess would be a raccoon ....and take my word for it, they are not to taken lightly, I had one as a pet in my youth and when they get mad or feel cornered they are NOT KIND!!!

Bill Hullett

3. Westerly Sunn

Yeah, I had a friend with one as a pet... and I used to go along on coon hunts when I was a kid... They are formidable creatures.

I considered a coon but, I just couldn't see a coon being drawn there??? I mean, what would be in it for them... no food, unless insects???

Coons are pretty intelligent... but then again... pretty @#$ curious too... :lol:

I figgerd a opossum might be more likely to be dumb enough to get into trouble under there!

On the possibility of a coon... I put on my denims and boots and took the rifle! :lol:

What are the chances of something as big as a coon or a opossum getting under there without the disturbing the plywood covers over the entry points and how would they do so?

4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

We pulled a coon and 5 babies out of our chimney....

Ok, let me rephrase that- The animal contro service let me help them get racoons out of our chimney!!

Between that, and the stainless cap we put on, it cost as much as a used Jazzmaster!! ;)

5. Westerly Sunn

I have chimneys that come down right in that area... Chimney(s)... as the house is a duplex, so it's mirror imaged...

Those chimneys were for old oil furnaces, so they are dead ended... I was hoping that whatever it was was NOT in there... :lol:

Honestly, it didn't sound like it was either... but that is an unfortunate possibility... Of course, that would obviate the undesirable need of going under that house... ;)

Whatever this critter was... It had definitely found itself in some unintended sitchy-ashun... It were Pi$$ed off... :lol:

6. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

If the critters keep getting in there, you can throw some moth balls under the house to keep them away. Everyone and every animal hates the smell of them.

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

could be a coon, but could also be groundhogs - if there are groundhogs under your house, you need to get rid of them asap. they can destroy your foundation.

8. Westerly Sunn

Yep! Bang on! ...and I got 3 boxes on the back porch... they are goin' under there in the morning...

The reason they are not already under there though, is that I'm afraid the smell will come up into the house and P.O. the girlfriend... She has a real sensitive and critical smeller... :lol:

9. Westerly Sunn

I don't think we have any around these parts... moles, yes... groundhogs... I don't think so...

A quick check of a wiki map shows the closest part of their range being about 80 miles north-north west...

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I could be the chupacabra. Close up the hole in the bathroom, keep the gun ready.

11. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Chupracabras not likely.
    They know better than to go where a raccoon might be.

moth balls are good or you could scatter some rhinestones down there.

I had kittens crawl in the outside dryer vent past the flap.
    Once inside their weight pulled the vent hose off and now I got to pay someone to crawl on his belly to fix it.
    Anyway they made quite a ruckus as the pulled off vent was banging on the AC ducting and echoing loudly thru the whole house as they made there somewhat easier exit to the outside.

Attached Files:

12. Westerly Sunn

Chupacabra! :eek: I will; I will!

:lol:

13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

You actually flushed the toilet to defend your house against chupacabra?
    :twisted:
    Just let the dog take care of things

14. Westerly Sunn

Well; it did ___ him off! :lol: I guess he took it as an insult! ;)

15. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

I'm betting 'possum...we get one under the house from time to time, saw a juvenile crawling in my garage once...he came through a small hole in the foundation...

of course you know when threatened they hiss up and act like they're bad...right before they play dead.:D

16. Westerly Sunn

Yeppir... Those couple of hisses I heard were telling me, 'possum...

17. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Maybe it Fezz, I heard tell they was lookin for him in that other thread over thar...

18. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

maybe its the very rarely seen giant hissing spider

Attached Files:

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like a great band name,
    Mystery Critter, that is.

20. jlindseyjr

jlindseyjr Tele-Holic

or a menu item

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.