1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My wife's iPhone is tracking her

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 10, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

... and probably every smartphone is tracking everyone, of course. But this is a little unsettling.

She's had an iPhone 7 for about a year. About two weeks ago she noticed that the iOS (not an app) was giving her travel information, with no prompting from her. -ok- But here's the freaky part - it assumes her destination, and so far, it has been correct. She DOES NOT use the calendar function.

Her schedule is different every weekday - rarely working the same hours at the same location, so there's no real pattern. Yet we she gets into her car on any given morning, her phone notifies her how long of a drive it is to the exact place that she's going. When she gets back into her car later in the day, it tells her how long until she gets home.

Last night we were running around doing errands. We had one more errand, but we stopped to fill up with fuel. As I was pumping gas, my wife suggested that we skip the last errand and just head home. -ok- As we pulled out of the parking lot, she got a notification on her phone... "12 minutes to home. Light traffic."

And then this... for the first time... This morning we were leaving our house for church, and as we pulled out of the driveway, another notification from her phone, "22 minutes to Grace. Light traffic." (Grace is the name of our church.) That's the first time that it's notified her of traveling time to church.

Of course we could defeat this by turning off location services. But where is it pulling the destination information from?

I'm not real worried about privacy (yet). I'm just curious.

My iPhone 8 is not do this yet, unless I have something specifically entered into the calendar.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Yep they do that. And give you the best route, which is handy for me after work. It just notices trends in your travel.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Shshshshsshhshsshhshshs, don't tell her ! She will freak out !

And it will all be YOUR fault ! :rolleyes:

Everything in life is a trade off

4. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Yup. It's a setting in iPhone. To enable/disable it, go to Settings->Privacy->Location Services. Find the System Services at the bottom of the list. Select this and go to the bottom again, to "Frequent Locations" (might also be called "Significant Locations"). If you clear the history and turn off this feature, you'll no longer get travel notifications.

YALCaster and JL_LI like this.
  5. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Just about to say this ^^^^
    Also maybe turn off a feature in Siri where she might always be listening, see is ‘Hey Siri’ is on

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

This is how it starts.

7. TheGoodTexan

I'm just like... how the heck did it know the name of our church... enough to put that in the iOS notification? My wife does not "check in" at places - ever.

It just... knows.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

A buddy of mine can tract his workers while he is 4 states away. Some things in life are not worth the trade off.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

There must be something set on there. My wife and I both have iphone 6s and that doesn't happen, and we use our GPS function a lot.

10. TheGoodTexan

I participate in a group text with some buddies from college who I never get to see any more. One of them got secretly/privately married a few months ago, and texted a picture to all of us of him and his new bride on a beach... and said, "Guess where I am?"

I long pressed the picture, and saved it to my phone. Then I retrieved it, hit info, and yep... it had location data impeded in the picture... so I pressed the map, and it pulled up his exact location - in the US Virgin Islands. It had a freaking map of exactly where the picture was taken.

So I was like.. "You're on the beach in Sugar Bay, St. Thomas."

I realize this is not cutting edge technology at all... but man, it's just, too much some times.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Obsessed likes this.
  11. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

This based on my observation and no research.

I get the same notifications through my iPhone onto my car display through the apple play in my car. I assume it takes "names" from the map feature. It calls my barber shop by name when I have never entered it. I guess the names are associated to the gps location and when your phone stops at the same gps digits it makes the connection.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

To start, your phones no matter what make or carrier track you. In the world of big data you should consider that your financial institutions are also tracking you. Have a Google account? Have you read the terms? Your local and other law enforcement agencies are tracking you more than you think even if that phone is home - consider DOT and local police traffic cams. Do you fly on airplanes?

There is a lot you can do to control the tracking and also use it for good reasons. Android or Apple, you should always make periodic sessions to review all of your OS and app settings for location and privacy. This should extend to the agreements and settings with your cel phone provider.

You can also achieve more privacy if you do messaging and have accounts that offer more privacy but then you have to give up "free" or ad supported.

Instead of a free Google, Live (Microsoft), Yahoo or similar account you can have a commercial one with same privacy required for standards in health care, finance or other business segments.

There are positive aspects too. We use the find friends feature in very helpful and positive ways with family members and my aging mother.

13. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

callasabra, beagle, 3fngrs and 2 others like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinkin' Hank Voight had one of his guys slip a chip in your wife's phone, and now they just listen in when you're talking, and then program your phone to give you this kind of info just for laughs. I think their looking into the possibility you might have been taking more than your fair share from the church donut box. Now I'm not saying you have, I'm just saying old Hank thinks you have.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

This kind of thing shouldn't be a surprise. On the one hand I can see the positives of this kind of thing (search and rescue, Amber alerts, etc.). On the other I find it seriously disturbing for so many reasons.
    The difference, to me anyway, is the former is used to help folks while the later is used for well, let's just say less altruistic purposes.

Data, and the stockpiling of information,
    seems to be the gold standard of the present/future.

My .02 only.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

I just finished reading this book, updated for 2017. Alot of it is way beyond what normal folks would do, but it does explore our vulnerabilities to not just companies tracking, or law enforcement, but malicious hackers or groups that can steal your information with minimal effort.
    51muthPrALL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

17. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

most people are already tracking themselves with facebook. I wonder, when the nocivity of the WI FI waves will be discovered ?

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For the curious and the paranoid: Look at the state of satellites. Consider how many TB of data cameras are taking each hour of the day. You can hire what are in essence private spy services for good and not so good reasons. You can watch what's happened to a spot each day and over time. We're in an age where the energy markets don't just consider that's being pumped or drilled but are watching where the storage tanks in the world are depleting. Watching crops in detail is another interesting one going on. The Google street cars are nothing compared to the sky.

19. Theotherone

Theotherone TDPRI Member

Been lurking for a while and couldnt resist chiming in on this thread.

A lot of people are completely unaware of the extent that their privacy can be infringed upon with smartphones and new technology. Many people believe that turning their GPS location off eliminates the issue of their location being compromised. Unfortunately, that is not the case at all. Not only does the gps give up your location and cache it (save it), your location can be determined by the cell phone towers as well as the Wi-Fi you are using. All smart phones create "metadata" which is detailed information about all your usage and it is saved on a server somewhere that will ALWAYS be there.

I've known SEVERAL people that busted a cheating significant other by stumbling onto the persons maps history and other history that is cached on the device. Chances are if you use maps you can view what is called your "timeline" and view a very detailed history of every location youve been to. Its so detailed and accurate that you can actually see if you were driving, walking, or not moving. Most people are unaware of the extent of the sensors smart phones possess.

It also caches information such as websites you've visited, login information, passwords, search history, and you can even LISTEN back to any voice searches you've completed. Any app that must be granted access to your microphone, sensors, camera, or files can access them at anytime. This includes the GPS. So even if you turn off the GPS, it can override it and use it as needed. Ever notice how sometimes you turn off GPS to find its back on without your knowledge?

Recently it was discovered that the newer roomba automatic vacuum cleaners cache a layout of the inside of your house while in use. Then a careful examination of the terms of use reveals the company has the right to sell this cached data off for profit. If people actually reads the terms of use on most new technology, it is usually revealed that the companies save and use the data for "marketing" purposes, and reserves the right to do as they wish with the collected data.

Is anyone here familiar with Eric Snowden? He was basically exiled from the US and hunted down for exposing that the NSA has a backdoor to all smartphones and can access the usage for any purpose they want.

Well hope you guys enjoyed my first post and hope I didn't freak you out to bad.

jvin248, dogmeat and jazzereh like this.
  20. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

When someone calls (to my iphone), the phone tells the persons name - if it is on my "phone book". But now it has started to tell me about "strange numbers" : "Perhaps Mr. John Smith" - or whoever... :eek:

And the iphone is right about these proposals..?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.