1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My wife wants the dog to go

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Apr 22, 2021.

1. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We live in a condo so its kind of not an option. He does spend alot of time on the patio in warm weather but we haven't gotten any yet

2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And there is, he has been acting out with her since she is back to work again full time so I don't know if it is separation anxiety maybe?

WTRT and CoronaPremier21 like this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Crate. Learn how and when to use it.

northernguitar and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very possible. "Separation anxiety" isn't something made up by crazy dog lovers, it's a very real thing with many dogs. He may just need to adjust to your household's new schedule. Dogs are big, I mean really big time into having a regular schedule in their lives. (Mine get jittery and give me the evil eye when I don't go to bed at the same time as usual.) When the daily routine in the house is changed they get anxious. You sound like you're trying to do the right thing. Please do right by the dog. He deserves it.

skradlee, stepvan, TwoBear and 2 others like this.
  5. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Yup. He's likely to wind up with no dog AND no wife.

Oldsmobum, Skully and CoronaPremier21 like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Have dog (kid, cat, bird, mate), clean up after them.
    Part of the deal, till one of you croaks.
    It's worth it.

carpenter, black_doug, E5RSY and 7 others like this.
  7. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour.

When you let them out take note of their attitude towards you and use that information to decide on which one to keep.

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I think your wife is absolutely right.....

9. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Crate training FTW. It gives the dog a comfortable place to be. They feel safer when they know the rules.

Cleaning up after them can be very frustrating. I have a 14 yr old dog, and just lost a 12 yr old dog last month. So I get it. There are spots on my carpet that will never be clean. But y'all knew that would happen occasionally when you got the dog, right? Why would you give up a dog for such a minor transgression before doing any of the obvious steps like crate training or talking to a vet?

If your wife is having major regrets, that's something you should absolutely talk through. Maybe having a dog isn't good for your lifestyle - you thought it would, but it turns out it does not. That's okay. But man, you can't just get rid of the dog without talking it through (several times) and doing some serious self-examination of why you brought the animal in. You have many options to work with the dog before giving it up.

My 12 yr old dog stopped being able to hold it overnight this last February. I was so mad. She knew better! But turns out she had lymphoma which was swelling up her organs and limiting her ability to hold it. She died in March. Point being, there could be some very concrete reasons that your dog is struggling.

My dogs spent most of their lives in crates whenever we were both gone from the house. They are/were happy, healthy, and contained.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Greggorios and TwoBear like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Classic AA story:
    Due to muh drinkin' I lost muh job, lost muh house, lost muh wife, lost muh truck, and lost muh dog.

Then I got sober and got a new job, truck, dog, house, and wife!

Greggorios likes this.
  11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

How old is your dog? How many years left does he have?
    How old is your wife? How many years left does she have?
    Which one looks better in lingerie?

12. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Replace dog = $500
    Replace wife = bankruptcy

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I did it once (gave away my dog) and I deeply regret it.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Agreed.

- D

15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a Palomino (St. Louis Music version) that's a killer amp.

- D

16. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i'm not sure, i think people take on the responsibility of an animal without realizing what they're getting into (in this case not necessarily OP, but maybe the wife). but, i have had to give up an animal in the past (for health reasons, really bad asthma) and we had no problem finding her a good home (where she lived until she died) without resorting to discarding her in a shelter like used junk. i also have a friend who fosters dogs from shelters and finds them homes, and he has no problem finding them homes.

i think it's okay to say this isn't working out for you - my family always got on well with cats but had one dog that made their lives a nightmare, but not so bad that it would have made a dog lover's. but i don't think you should be flippant about where the animal goes, i don't think there isn't any need for that with the negligible amount of good will and effort it takes to not be.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  17. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I have the opposite problem. We used to be a three dog family. Then we were down to two. One day last year, a Siberian Husky appeared at my wife's side while she was weeding in the yard. She insisted we adopt it (she went through the proper procedures). That dog cannot be left alone in the backyard, or it will jump the fence. (A wonderful breed trait. My advice: don't get a Husky.) And since it's almost always me taking the dog out to do its business, it's inevitably my fault if the dog gets out. Then one of my daughters convinced me to let her get a Basset hound, after we already had a deposit down for a Newfoundland. (We've had a Basset that died in 2007, and we've had a total of 4 Newfs in the past. They're our favorite breed.) Then I let my daughter convince us to get two Newfs from the litter, a black and a grey, so starting May 1st we're going to have six dogs. I'm an insane person in charge of a canine insane asylum.

18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Somebody help me out what was the name of the movie with Don Johnson sort of a space theme and he traveled with his dog? ... A boy and his dog?

19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    not really, knowing what I know now. I was faced with the same choice (wife number 1) - I should have kept my dog, he was a champ - she was the B word. Hate that woman still to this day; 45 years later.

teletail and tery like this.
  20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what else "acting out" means, but if it's anything other than accidents in the house then you need to give the dog more exercise. Having anything bigger than a tiny lap dog in an apartment means you both committed to multiple walks a day or a good session of fetch at the park every day. If the dog was strictly your idea then you need to hire a dog walker or a neighbor kid to help. Don't tell us about waiting for warm weather, here in Denver I walked my 75lb german shepherd half an hour three times a day, every single day, when we lived in an apartment for a year. That doesn't include the times I let him out in the landscaped area to relieve himself. If you only "let him out" a few times a day to do his business, then you need to blame yourself (or yourselves) for getting in way over your heads.

"Getting rid of the dog" is such a disgusting concept to me that you're both in the wrong for even thinking it, and I don't really believe the pity party you're throwing here. I feel so bad for your dog but not you two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.