1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My wife wants the dog to go

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Apr 22, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I see what you're saying, but we live in a culture that sacrifices something far more precious for reasons of convenience without anyone batting an eyelid. Just food for thought. I think our priorities as human beings are severely out of whack.

E5RSY, kingofdogs1950, Skub and 2 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What's the full story here?
    Is this an older dog that is starting to have incontinence issues? Or a fairly new addition that is having issues with house training?
    Either way, there are many intermediate steps I'd take before resorting to "the dog must go". As many have mentioned, a crate o r some sort of single room confinement when left alone in the house. A visit to the vet to see if it's behavioral, or if there is some health issue at hand.

3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

How old is the dog?

Crate is probably the best answer, unless it’s a senior dog.

effzee and northernguitar like this.
  4. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Is there more to the story? If that's the only incident, it seems a bit extreme to get rid of the poor guy.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

If you were locked out of the house and had to take dump would you crap on your lawn?
    This is not the dogs fault.

West44th, Asmith, 1955 and 9 others like this.
  6. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Yes, I agree. But make sure wife has plenty of food and water or else she'll get cranky.

tvvoodoo, West44th, Asmith and 22 others like this.
  7. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We have a rescue dog here. After two years, she will still go to the bathroom to do her business if I don't take her out many times per day. The vet says that was probably what she did for the first two years of her unhappy life. I gave up a year ago trying to train her.

As others have said...the OP might have other underlying issues and that was the last straw. If not...try a dog crate. If so...find a new home for the dog. Good luck.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

This.

There's a problem here, and we are not sure that the dog is the cause of the problem.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Crate and training. If the dog is alone in the house for lengthy periods of time, it will change behaviors to get attention. For a lonely animal, even negative attention is attention. Not the dog's problem IMO.

1955 and haggardfan1 like this.
  10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Oh man, I feel for you, big "Sophie's Choice" there.

I do have to say your title of this thread might be the best country song that hasn't been written yet.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven't had a dog since I was a kid
    The only time our dogs ever came inside was if mom and dad were gone. And they KNEW it was something they shouldn't be doing-it took coaxing from us, and they would creep around timidly, ears low.

Dogs have fur. They do good outside.

unixfish likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If there are other underlying issues, getting rid of the dog to appease her is most likely just delaying the inevitable. And a concession the OP is likely to regret once things fall apart anyway.

StrangerNY and Greggorios like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Why is the dog crapping in the house? That is not normal behavior unless the dog is sick or has reached an age where he just can’t help it.

That’s the first issue that needs to be addressed.

1955, Bobbyoso, StrangerNY and 8 others like this.
  14. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    We had gotten a dog from pound. She would pile up things in the middle of the living room floor when left home alone. She was a delight when we were with her but did not like being home alone. Tried to limit her to one room but that just meant she got more destructive in that room. Went the cage route and that was a disaster (I've since been told that cages should be introduced while the dog is a pup).
    Building a doghouse and letting her live outdoors was the answer. She stayed with us for 13 years.

pixeljammer and Marc Morfei like this.
  15. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Sounds like you have 2 choices; don't **** it up

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I was never a proponent of rehoming pets...until my adult children did it (more than once). Good new home for the pet before things got out of hand in the existing home. Believe what you want, but the pet animal (or a wild one for that matter) never comes before a human.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

there are no bad dogs, just owners who need to take the reins and be good owners.

Your dog needs training and love and commitment. If it is lacking, you gotta pick it up. If you honestly are not up to the task of caring for an animal, you should rehome it to someone who will love it BY training it and caring for it.

Your wife sounds like she is at wit's end. Good time for a talk, the dog is a symptom not the disease.

This is a fantastic opportunity for the two of you to have a great discussion and adjust the tiller on the things you value most and are most committed to.

KevinB, 1955, E5RSY and 6 others like this.
  18. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

Stair Gates between rooms help. My wife really wanted a dog and I didn't. I basically said to her if she wants one then don't expect me to clear up after it, so I don't.
    I bought a car and I don't expect her to wash it and pay for repairs.
    Is the dog joint owned .

19. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

My middle daughter and her fiancee was coming to visit with their rescue dog that is known to vomit. I also have an expensive hand made rug in my office. The weekend before I was stressed out about the impending doom of my rug so I stopped by a store and bought some stiff plastic and sure enough four days later the dog threw up on the rug now covered with plastic. Sometimes you have to be proactive, animals do animal things they don't always know the rules.

1955, stepvan and getbent like this.
  20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks that's kind of where my mind is with this. I have grown attached to this pup and so my best with him Friday thru Sunday but our schedules puts alot on her care wise. He is overall a good boy and is house broken, I think he may just had an upset stomach and that was the result. I hope to hold on to this boy, I figured I would give her a day to calm down. The solution may be to keep him in the finshed basement when we are at work with some toys and bed and such and if he has an accident it will be easier to handle

Greggorios and mexicanyella like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.