My wife wants a drumset.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Build her a she shed drum studio plus include one guitar amp for after she gets good.

Remember how long we sucked before we sounded good?

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
She mentions it briefly, but often.

Discuss.
Gonna sell mine, soon.

Near Dayton OH.
IMG_20200423_203539_479.jpg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Buy her the most expensive drum set there is and you'll be set for life. Whenever she asks you how much a guitar or piece of gear was, you can respond with "half of what the drumset I bought you cost". Or whatever fraction it ends up being.

Connnnflict!
Connnnflict!
Why always with the conflict?
Buy her the nice set because everybody loves a nice set!
Let me rephrase that...

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
1293, I feel like there's something you're not telling us. It's fairly obvious, if your wife wants drums, get her some drums. So, there must be something else going on. What are you feeling right now?

therapist.jpeg

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Go man, go!

Take her someplace where she can actually pound on some acoustic drums and a nice e-kit and figger out if she’s okay with how loud acoustic drums would be in the house and/or the sound and feel of the electronic kit.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Fishing for recommendations because I have no clue. My band rehearsed and recorded at my house for awhile when I was a kid. I had one of these in my bedroom and never touched it:

View attachment 919885

Some ramblings off the top of my head.

Shells
Most bang for buck (used):
- Yamaha Stage Custom. Solid mid-level. Used a 4 piece without snare can be had for ~$400. Great hardware.
- Mapex Saturns. Amazing pro-level, but doesn’t hold value because of the name. Used can be had for ~$800.
- Regardless, for sake of space, go 20” diameter bass drum. It also helps keep toms lower if she’s not overly tall.
- Lots of folks do a “one up one down” tom configuration. My daughter likes “two up one down” as she likes the versatility of 3 toms.

Snare
- get a maple to start with (better for indoors). Lots of options. Then add a metal snare later.

Cymbals
- I’m a bit more particular about cymbals. I like Zildjian Ks. But it is very much a personal preference thing. I’d much prefer to go cheaper on shells than cymbals.

Head on over to drumforum and they’ll be happy to add more suggestions.

Our setup

4D57DFAF-1D2E-46E4-98F2-14E23B64D696.jpeg

Last edited:

Vegetable Man

Tele-Meister
I would definitely encourage her, but get a smaller kit to cut down on volume (and expense).

The Ludwig Breakbeats set looks pretty slick, but other manufacturers make similar models too.

Have fun!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We're late 50s and have nothing to spend money on anymore.

Just get her what she wants it doesn't matter if she uses it or not. One time years ago when my wife was having heart trouble, I bought her a new car. My kids asked why I would buy her a new car with her in the condition she was in, I told them if she drove it one time, it would be worth the cost. She's all better now. The kids have changed now, they know what a wonderful mom she's been to them, and they don't spare the horsepower when it comes to spending for her.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
She mentions it briefly, but often.

Discuss.
I read all the replies, and never saw you or anyone else say....."Does she already know how to play drums?"
I agree, if she wants a set, she should get a set.....but what's started all this? I'm not gonna go into possible problems or warning signs, just go with it. Good luck.