My wife says my playing is repetitive. My wife says. . .

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zebulon Bluze, Sep 30, 2015.

1. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

keep the guitar get rid of the wife

2. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

My wife says my playing is repetitive. I think it's the two delay pedals and the reverb on my board.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could get a nice Squier for cheaper than those things, but I wanted to ask you, have they really dropped it in the bathtub?

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

LMAO -- /thread!

5. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

... I try and do most of my playing when no one is home for this reason. I'm a bit of a hack, so I'm aware that playing the same phrase that I'm trying to learn over and over again (literally dozens of times) would drive anyone listening nuts. Even me sometimes!

My other solution that I posted about the other day is my Yamaha THR10C!

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There is that one little thing. Get rid of the guitar, maybe get a small return. Get rid of the wife certainly garner a huge expense one way or the other.

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm not married but have a longtime girlfriend. We live apart but are in the same band. That comes with its own issues but so far (3 years) it's going well.

We almost broke up when she and the other singer argued about who would sing a certain song and I wouldn't take a side (that is, I wouldn't take her side... :rolleyes:)

I notice she plays better when she's mad. :lol:

8. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

My last girlfriend was very interested in music. She actually would come to gigs with me without fussing about having to drive (remember: I can't drive due to being disabled so...I, unfortunately, have to rely on someone else to do those kinds of things for me. :( ).

However, it got to the point where she started getting tired of going to gigs every weekend so I had to depend on my drummer buddy for a ride to them.

Sadly, we broke up about three/four years ago (in the church parking lot, ironically, where we attended at the time) and it was NOT a pretty sight. Swear words were exchanged during the said breakup - all while the Pastor's family (wife, son and daughter) were standing outside watching this exchange.

I had to apologize profusely to them for the things I said to the now ex. :(

Now, I'm happily single (even if I do still get terribly lonely at times) and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Sadly, I don't (and I know that this is a bit off-topic) attend church anymore, either, because of that altercation. I've only been back there maybe twice at the most.

9. boney

boney Tele-Meister

she's just killing your joy.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whew...speechless. I'll leave it at that.

11. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Mine knows when I need to go play. She'll say "you look stressed, why don't you go jam for a while. Just not too loud" which is my DR on about 3.

Later she'll come down to tell me something, and expects me to stop playing, which I'll do...for a minute. Then when she's about to say something...one loud strum. Receive an unhappy look. Wait for her to speak again, repeat. I can usually get about 2-3 of those in, before she actually gets upset. Tuner on.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...all too true. but sometimes, on the other hand, do you know why divorce is so expensive?

Because it's worth it.

Finding a wife who's a real partner, friend, everything, is worth it. At least that's been my experience. My wife supports my hobby completely - even though I do gig on a weekly basis, it's still a hobby, cuz it ain't how I bring home the bacon. She doesn't go to all my gigs, she's heard a lot of it already, but she doesn't blink an eye at the surplus guitars in the house, in fact, she "made" me get a 12-string, 'cuz she likes that sound.

but there's a balance - I take an interest in the stuff that she's fiercely interested in as well. She's a writer, and we talk books 'til the cows come home. We both like cooking, so we're in the kitchen together. We both like road trips and travelling. gots to work both ways. YMMV, etc.

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Mine says the same thing, but that's because to her, it all sounds like guitar.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I like the 2nd guitar parts. I am not at all interested in "lead guitar" I will frequently sit for an hour or two playing just little tiny bits, the kind you might hear in an old Stax record. In my head I am hearing the whole band, but I am only playing the little bits that need to be played.

I do this all the time, in the living room, at the table, in the bedroom.... I used to use a Telecaster - but I NEVER plug it in to an amp! That would be cruel!

My wife ordered me to buy a Gretsch hollow-body when she came in to a small inheritance. I did. The guitar is a bit louder, but still not annoying.

Recently I got a really bad 12-string acoustic. Now I'm playing that a bit more (it's standing right here next to the table). I thought she would hate it, but instead she has begun humming along and even singing from time to time.

My wife is an angel. Sometimes she looks at me and smiles, and says "ploink, ploink!" and she just lets me be.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm just talkin'. I personally don't have a problem with my wife, and in fact we've been married longer than most of the people on this site have been alive. I must confess it's mostly due to my being and all around good guy, always bending in the wind, never breaking, plus I'm just such a humble guy, how could she not like me?:D

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Wife #1 of 25 years loved it when I played and loved to buy me gear, good top of the line stuff too.. Other things I did she didn't like and I tended to ignore her urging me stop.

Wife #2 was pretty positive about my playing until we got married and I collected all my gear from both apartments and brought them to our new home.. realized how much gear I really had. To be truthful I'm kinda shocked at how many guitars I've gathered over the years. I've managed to take over my music room, the guest room and the family room. I've been embarrassed for guys I see at music stores that whine 'the wife' won't let me buy another guitar.. Looks like I've joined those ranks for a while, at least until I clear out the family room.

I'm ok with her feelings toward my excessive gear because she's right. She's still bragging to her friends about my playing so I guess it's all good.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It may well be an analogical reference to something else?

18. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I am not understanding where the criticism is coming from in regards to practice time playing or home noodling, unless there just isn't a real appreciation from the spouse on this thing that we guitar players like to do in our lives.

I suck often during practice. That is going to happen, because I am working on something through all stages from the "I suck at this" until I reach "I can use this in a gig." Even my noodling. I'm glad my wife doesn't step on me about the sounds I'm making during these times.

Playing out? I appreciate honest critique. I want my wife to tell me the truth. "Honey, you overplayed." Or "You underplayed." She finds it easy to tell me it sounded good. It's hard for her to tell me it sounded awful. It's also hard to hear, but I would like us to get there.

I'm very blessed. My family is strongly supportive of my expensive "hobby."

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I've had several long-term relationships over the course of my life. Some of those women thought my music was a waste of time, one encouraged it but came to hate it, one didn't care one way or the other. My latest girlfriend - a fabulous woman for many reasons - is very supportive. I think at this point we've both made all our big mistakes and can see things for what they are. I recommend supportive.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Show her this.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.