My wife pointed this out to me once, now I notice it frickin’ everywhere..

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 4pickupguy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Read this thread over the weekend.

For some reason today it popped into my head that "New Kids on the Block" were doing the Millenial Whoop back in the 80s/90s. (I can't remember exactly when their Heyday was, I think it was late 80s?)

Of course not many people above 16 thought that was good music either. But some of their big hits straight up did the Millenial Whoop.

It really is at an annoying level the last 5 years though.

edit:

Found this Quora page which lists a huge # of earlier songs (before Millenials were born) that have annoying Millenial Whoops:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-that-80s-song-that-has-a-chorus-of-woah-oh-oh-oh

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it is the "whoop." I think it is the fact that every vocal is over-processed, auto-tuned, and basically unrecognizable from one to the other.

Give me Freddy Mercury, Steve Walsh, or Ann Wilson any frickin' day of the week.

I've retreated in to prog rock these days. I won't come out until Hair Metal dominates once more...

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

One of the things I hate most about modern music is the over bass-boosted TR808 style kick drum that's on almost every pop track these days. It makes a thud in my ears that starts to annoy in about three bars, and I have to turn it off. I see cars driving down the street and all I hear is that thud thud thud coming out of 'em. I hate that more than the auto-tune.

beninma likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Hah.. I always laugh at the Thud Thud coming from the cars playing that TR808 style kick drum stuff like you said.

Usually they've modified the audio system in the car to the point it sounds terrible and you can hear parts on the car vibrating and rattling from the drum hits... it sounds like the music is literally ripping the car apart.

They're trying to get attention through the loud music, but it doesn't seem like they usually get the attention they want... more like, "I can hear that awful thud thud and it makes me realize you have a $1000 car with $5000 of mismatched audio gear in it, hope those amps/speakers help when the engine dies."

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Thats $6000 of rattling plastic that is pure poop sounding[emoji41][emoji1303]

6. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Couldn’t last more than 30 seconds into the first video

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.