1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My wife paints...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jan 17, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I know several TDPRI members paint. At the moment @hemingway is the only username that comes to mind.

I am consistently amazed that people can start applying paint to a canvass and have the end result be a quality expression of art. As I've said on several occasions, my very best efforts at painting, in any medium, would aspire to looking like an artist's palette. :oops:

And for what it's worth, my wife also paints. It's not her day job; it's her therapy. She is a midwife and the owner and operator of the only birth center for miles around. She's a busy lady, and her work can be stressful. Painting is her way of relaxing. She says when she's painting, she can't think of anything else. I relate to that. I feel much the same way about guitar playing and fishing. :twisted:

The better part of three decades ago, before she became a midwife, she painted. Her medium then was oils. But at a certain point, she gave it up, and became a midwife, and has had a continuous practice in the Greater Corpus Christi area ever since. Just a few months ago, I encouraged her to get back into painting. She did, and has found this outlet of artistic expression to be very relaxing and therapeutic.

My wife finished another painting yesterday. She actually started and finished it in a matter of a few hours, which is another thing that amazes me: the speed with which she paints. Her medium is acrylics now, not oils, so that probably has something to do with it. Still...

I am not going to post a pic of her latest, though I very much want to. I am also being selective of the pics of her paintings that I will post. This is because a number of her paintings, including yesterday's, express her sense of patriotism and her faith. I don't want to see my wife's art used as a springboard for controversy, so I just won't post them here. If anyone's interested, they can start a private conversation with me and ask to see the paintings not shared here.

I don't know what titles my wife has for these paintings. I had my own ideas for what to call her various paintings, but of course ultimately it's her call. Still, I'm going to call them what I call them. If she wants to join TDPRI to correct me, that's her prerogative. :twisted:

"Autumn Wind & Rain"
    'Autumn Wind & Rain'.jpg

"In Flight Over Texas"
    'In Flight Over Texas'.jpg

"Rainy Day People"
    'Rainy Day People'.jpg

"Tree Tops in the Natchez Trace"
    'Tree tops' from Natchez Trace.jpg

I'd be interested to get impressions from members here, particularly those who also paint. I love my wife, and proud of my wife, and I'm mightily impressed with her artistic ability. But then, what do I know? (The answer to that is "I know what I like.")

So if there is criticism, I would hope that it would be constructive in its intent and kind in its expression. Again, she isn't doing this for money, though she has sold a half dozen or more of her paintings already, including three of the four pictured above.

Jim W, Dereksys38, puddin and 68 others like this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

nice man!

LGOberean likes this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

She's got a certain whimsical quality that I find appealing.

4. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

very lovely

gregulator450 and LGOberean like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

LGOberean likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Seems very skilled , very distinct style, jazzy and 60's kind of breezy. Maybe like something on a New Yorker cover. I like a lot.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Those are wonderful, she has a gift.:cool:
    I love the "autumn..." one.

nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I agree with you completely.

Really excellent paintings!

LGOberean likes this.
  9. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

cat dude and LGOberean like this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, I didn't know the one I called "Rainy Day People" was something she copied. The second link showed paintings in the same style, but that's fair game, I would believe. That one and "Autumn" were both painted on rainy days. She goes with how she feels.

And again, my wife is under no illusions of making a name for herself, nor is she trying to make a living at this. First and foremost, she paints to express herself and escape the pressures of delivering babies, which even in the best of times can be a stressful occupation. And in times of lockdown and fear? Fuhgeddaboudit! :eek::twisted:

boneyguy and cat dude like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I like the paintings...I’d hang them in my home...even if I’m being catfished...

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Maybe just using them as source material.

13. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Nah. Common enough practice to copy what you like. Sort of like being in a cover band, in a way. But quieter.

OP, not sure if this helps, but just like anything, art is subjective. It's good if you like it. Have her paint a rear-mount Tele body and post that--love handpainted pieces like that, and given the stupid prices I've seen people ask for them, if you figure out a decent clearcoat process could be a solid sideline for both of you.

Toto'sDad, boneyguy, elihu and 2 others like this.
  14. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Regardless of whether she copied them, it is more than mere “painting”.

Similar to how it takes a certain level of skill to cover a song.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I like these, Larry.....please compliment your wife on my behalf.
    I do agree there is a certain whimsical (thanks @elihu) and "commercial" quality to them.....not in a bad way, but meaning they would appeal to a broad audience on beautiful magazine covers or art prints.
    I have painted off and on for fifty+ years, (no pics to share) but I lean more to abstract expressionism than to representational art, but I still appreciate the skill and "chops" required to do it.
    Thanks for sharing......

16. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Really like the 1st and 3rd slightly impressionistic ones :cool:

telestratosonic and LGOberean like this.
  17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, thanks.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Those are outstanding!

LGOberean likes this.
  19. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly how they struck me...to a T.

Whimsical is a good word to describe the energy they convey. There's a playfulness to them which may obscure the fact that there is A LOT of highly skilled technique that's gone into them.

I really like her style....I think she's very talented.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.