My Wife just bought me a $7000 Les Paul!!!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
yes that's howling wolfs version, right
You know when both he and Muddy were mostly working in Chicago way back in the day, They were competing, Muddy Had a guitar player,
It might have been Luther "Georgia Snake Boy' Johnson, I forget exactly and , well anyway, The Wolf stole him away and got him play in the Wolfs Band, and then Muddy stole him back again.
There's another story I read , that the cludb had closed and 3or 4 member of the band were walking down down the street really late at night or early morning ,
"and this fool comes up pulls out a gun and was gonna' rob them " gimme your money and them guitars", something like that and before the ill advised robber could make a move, everyone of those fellows pulled out their guns and that was the end of that .
It was explained that this part of town was dangerous, it being Chicago's south side and everybody carried a gun, " you didn't leave the house without it."
so anyway they'd steal each others songs or a good musician , you know one-upping each other.

All's fair in love, all's fair in war, and all's fair in Chicago Blues?

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Man I am doing something wrong
I'm with you on this one. I was wondering what one in a million, Dr- Strange-to-ironman scenerio would need to come together for something like this to happen to me.... Nope, none. There are no scenerios where she'd even listen to me test out a bunch of guitars, much less buy me the 7000 dollar one.

Actually, maybe if I just found out I was terminally ill and she happened to win the lottery that same day and all jewelry stores were closed and her phone had run out of battery.

main-qimg-90a289d0075204939bcd4508bc370ba9.gif

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Fair enough but the point being that it's nice when our mate really wants to make us happy.
The dollar amount is a sliding scale matched up to family finances, and for some of us we're blessed to get a hundred dollar guitar gift from our husband or wife.

That LP sure is some eye candy though!

What I really wonder about is what my wife really HEARS when she claims to like what I was just playing.
Where @Lowspeid said his wife recognized the particularly great sound of that particular LP?
That's interesting and really suggests that she really listens!

Also kicks all the guys who keep insisting "the audience doesn't care", right off their soap boxes!
I really doubt my wife is discerning the different guitars tones, she seems to hear the energy or the spirit of whatever I play, basedon times she comments and other times she doesn't.
And I play REALLY LOUD at home, every day.
Never a complaint? Strange girl.
That's my version of a $7000 LP!
Marriage is near as I can tell one of the hardest things to do well....

You are thrice blessed. the third being that you know how good you've got it.
Marriage seems to require Compromise and like fixing up a house, we may want to make small improvements , move the furniture around paint the kitchen egg shell white instead of pale yellow, get a new box spring and mattress, made be change the carpet in the hall way.
But keep attracting people that see me as the ultimate fixer upper and want to remodel the kitchen add a new bathroom put in a patio and a solarium, plant some trees put on a new roof ,improve earth quake safety put in dual pane glass, raise the house and add a basement apartment for when mom gets older, a cat, fine but no dogs and certainly no snakes, lizards and certainly no spiders.
You know, maybe you'd be thinking about investing in a different neighborhood, because this really isn't a house your gonna want to live in, because I'm really not a fixer-upper kind of guy . I like the house that I live in and I spent a life time getting it to a place that I'm really like to live in, I've put a lot of time and energy considering the house that I am comfortable living in , I mean if I can not be comfortable living in my own house why live there ? Why invite people over for dinner, to a house I can't be comfortable to live in.
I have spent several hours attending Ala-non meeting and it sharpened my awareness about how I want to be seen, about how I want to treat others , mutually respected boundaries, what's my business and what's not. How I want to spend my time. I mean , I did not go through early recovery so that I could feel like a piece if raw liver being pulled through a knot hole for the rest of my life , which is growing shorter now that I qualify as "ederly". How I spend my time each and ever hour of each and everyday spent in a "BE, HERE, NOW" manner of living
is sacred to me: drug addiction, alcoholism, wage slavery, migraines, broken so many bones I lost count, Cancer, clinical depression, have had the resulted of my being more in love with living. Why waste my time living as a fixer upper?

Wow! where in the heck did all that come from ? Oh no I'm telling the truth again. whoopsie:oops:

Last edited:

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Congratulations on both your wife's excellent taste as well as the excellent guitar she bought you. Things are so much better for a guitarist when their spouse supports their love for the instrument. My wife, Debi, has supported my love of all things guitar since we met in early '72. Both my first and second higher end guitar purchases were her doing. At the store she'd watch me play, listened while the salesman and I talked and could tell I wasn't really picking my favorite because of cost. Then, when we got to the counter she'd tell the salesman to put whichever guitar back and get the one she knew I really wanted. Example ..... I'd settled for and RG and we drove home with a JEM.
That’s awesome! Sounds like your wife and mine would get along well!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You are thrice blessed. the third being that you know how good you've got it.
Marriage seems to require Compromise and like fixing up a house, we may want to make small improvements , move the furniture around paint the kitchen egg shell white instead of pale yellow, get a new box spring and mattress, made be change the carpet in the hall way.
But keep attracting people that see me as the ultimate fixer upper and want to remodel the kitchen add a new bathroom put in a patio and a solarium, plant some trees put on a new roof ,improve earth quake safety put in dual pane glass, raise the house and add a basement apartment for when mom gets older, a cat, fine but no dogs and certainly no snakes, lizards and certainly no spiders.
You know, maybe you'd be thinking about investing in a different neighborhood, because this really isn't a house your gonna want to live in, because I'm really not a fixer-upper kind of guy . I like the house that I live in and I spent a life time getting it to a place that I'm really like to live in, I've put a lot of time and energy considering the house that I am comfortable living in , I mean if I can not be comfortable living in my own house why live there ? Why invite people over for dinner, to a house I can't be comfortable to live in.
I have spent several hours attending Ala-non meeting and it sharpened my awareness about how I want to be seen, about how I want to treat others , mutually respected boundaries, what's my business and what's not. How I want to spend my time. I mean , I did not go through early recovery so that I could feel like a piece if raw liver being pulled through a knot hole for the rest of my life , which is growing shorter now that I qualify as "ederly". How I spend my time each and ever hour of each and everyday spent in a "BE, HERE, NOW" manner of living
is sacred to me: drug addiction, alcoholism, wage slavery, migraines, broken so many bones I lost count, Cancer, clinical depression, have had the resulted of my being more in love with living. Why waste my time living as a fixer upper?

Wow! where in the heck did all that come from ? Oh no I'm telling the truth again. whoopsie:oops:

Well as wedding vows commonly explain, blessings and curses are sides of the same coin.
This couple of years has effected us all in different ways.
My wife got the unemployment booster $$ for a year or so while I worked.
She tried to make herself feel better by shopping, but it made her feel worse than I felt with less $$ and more boots on the ground risk.
Right now we are maybe all looking at a should be all better but nope sort of scenario.
Last week she was really happy but a couple of darker days returned.
I think she knows that spending has stopped working for her and she's not seeing any new quick fixes.
Hearts break, hearts soar, hearts break again.
Human fixer upper ideas come from both sides, and my wish to "help" her be happy may impede...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congratulations on both your wife's excellent taste as well as the excellent guitar she bought you. Things are so much better for a guitarist when their spouse supports their love for the instrument. My wife, Debi, has supported my love of all things guitar since we met in early '72. Both my first and second higher end guitar purchases were her doing. At the store she'd watch me play, listened while the salesman and I talked and could tell I wasn't really picking my favorite because of cost. Then, when we got to the counter she'd tell the salesman to put whichever guitar back and get the one she knew I really wanted. Example ..... I'd settled for and RG and we drove home with a JEM.

What never ceases to amaze me is all the members whose spouses hate their playing guitar.
What a way to live?

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Just a nit pick but she allowed you to buy a 7000 guitar, correct?

Still awesome!
Technically list price was $6899. The shop was running 15% off every Gibson in the store. So we paid a little under $5800 for it out the door (no sales tax in OR). She told me I needed it and wasn’t walking out the door without it.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
I save everything my wife buys me. Even just some 2 dollar white shirts. I ran my Nike Internationalist sneakers she bought me to the ground that it’s impossible to have it repaired or keep.

if my wife buys me a guitar even if it’s just cheap one, i’d go Liam (Taken Movie) on anyone who steals it.

congrats on the new guitar! Play it in good health and your wife is amazing too!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
OK, First, seriously I love this community. It’s such a positive place in a very negative world!

I’m not going to lie, over the last 5 days I’ve felt VERY weird about owning such an expensive guitar. I’ve fretted about the cost of it, haven’t wanted to tell friends about it because I know there are so many people who don’t have anywhere near the resources (or life) I’ve been blessed with. I’ve tried to find things wrong with it that would justify me taking it back (5 Star has a STELLER return policy. They say “you have to play it in your house, on your gear for a week to really know if it works for you. If it’s not, that’s OK. It’s why we give you 30 days.” They’re AWESOME to buy from). All I’ve been able to come up with is that I wish the ‘60s slim taper neck carve was a little closer to my AO ‘60s Tele.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
OK, First, seriously I love this community. It’s such a positive place in a very negative world!

I’m not going to lie, over the last 5 days I’ve felt VERY weird about owning such an expensive guitar. I’ve fretted about the cost of it, haven’t wanted to tell friends about it because I know there are so many people who don’t have anywhere near the resources (or life) I’ve been blessed with. I’ve tried to find things wrong with it that would justify me taking it back (5 Star has a STELLER return policy. They say “you have to play it in your house, on your gear for a week to really know if it works for you. If it’s not, that’s OK. It’s why we give you 30 days.” They’re AWESOME to buy from). All I’ve been able to come up with is that I wish the ‘60s slim taper neck carve was a little closer to my AO ‘60s Tele.
well you better not send it back NOW! We're all invested in this story already

Jazzerstang

Tele-Afflicted
My wife told me to visit a guitar store I never went to before out of no where and gave me a $250 budget. Needless to say, I brought some items to trade in as well and left with an SG jr.