1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Wampler Pinnacle: I try so hard to make it sound good...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by braveheart, Feb 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I really try...with different tubeamps, amp adjustments (slightly overdriven,clean etc), but in the end it always sounds like BOSS DS-1 on steroids...it has this overall harshness...no matter what I do...

I cant believe it has the reputation of a brown sound pedal...

I was looking for Eddie in a box and finally found it in his own signature pedal..the EVH 5150 overdrive, which is like a firebreathing Marshall from hell with GREAT harmonics...I cant get a sound out of it that is not great...

So whats your experience with the Wampler Pinnacle/what can I do to make it sound good

thanks Olly

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know, the Pinnacle clips I've heard sound great.
    I agree the EVH 5150 sounds great in person, I have one and don't use it enough

braveheart likes this.
  3. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

If the gear do not suit you...get rid of it!
    Sounds like the EVH works....what else is there to it?

68tele and braveheart like this.
  4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I had the v1 Pinnacle and found there was no sweet spot on the tone knob. Like none. It went from mud to overly harsh in a millimeter of travel. Thankfully I got it stupid cheap and was able to sell it for around the same price.

Incidentally, you mention the ds-1, I have a ds-1 that we did the outlaw mod for and it slayed the Pinnacle no contest. Several dirt buys and sells later and the outlaw mod remains!

Wampler makes other cool stuff but the Pinnacle wasn’t for me at all.

Daytona.57 and braveheart like this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

+1 for the outlaw mod.

braveheart likes this.
  6. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

please forgive the thread interruption ... can I assume that braveheart is a Michael Landau (... and Bob Bradshaw) fan

... one night in the 80s, I was lucky enough to see Dog Cheese at The Baked Potato ...

braveheart likes this.
  7. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

sell it...life goes on

braveheart likes this.
  8. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Pinnacle has been my main distortion for a while, no problems getting good tones out if it.

Tommy Biggs and braveheart like this.
  9. braveheart

I have it on my late night/headphone pedalboard now and it sounds pretty good with the MOOER Radar (wiith poweramp sim and Bad Cat cab) into the mixer...so this kind of a happy end :lol:

10. braveheart

I have it on my late night/headphone pedalboard now and it sounds pretty good with the MOOER Radar (with poweramp sim and Bad Cat cab) into the mixer...so this kind of a happy end :lol:

11. Wampler Pedals

Wampler Pedals Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Are you using the Pinnacle standard or Deluxe? What are your settings?
    Also, what amp are you going through?

braveheart likes this.
  12. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

I love my pinnacle deluxe. Hard to get a bad sound out of it for me.

I ran it into a Cab sim of my Helix Native today and wow, it sounded fantastic!

Tommy Biggs and braveheart like this.
  13. braveheart

it's the old standard version...I use it with my Mooer Radar (Bad Cat Cab) into the mixer...
    everthing on 12oclock and then I dialed in the sweet spot (cut through the mix) with contour..sounds pretty good

14. braveheart

Yep, big,big Landau Fan...you're a lucky man!

15. braveheart

with which gear?
    After testing a lot(amps,pedals) I got the impression that it doesn't like to be boosted with other od pedals and only works with clean amps...

a "one pedal show" so to speak...

16. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I've used it with a Fender Deluxe reverb, fender bassman ri, Vox AC30 currently, and thru the clean channel of my jvm410 and it sounded good thru them all. I did like it least thru the DRRI, which I liked least overall of all the amps and sold off first.

For guitars, I mainly use gretsches, but my tele sounds great with it as does my les paul and prs.

It has enough gain it doesn't need to be boosted, though I do like the tone it gets with a treble booster in front (from my wampler thirty something)

I use several overdrive and drive pedals, but I would have no problem using only the pinnacle if I could have only one. It does well low gain thru high for me.

17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Pinnacle Deluxe V1, replaced by a Fat Sandwich, which is more flexible and does low gain.

YMMV

18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Could it be other factors making it sound bad? User error, lack of technique, deaf in both ears, etc?

[​IMG]

Nah, it is probably the Wampler.

19. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    Interesting OP topic - I have a wampler pinnacle on my gig pedal board for about 3-4 years now and what I thought was amazing at first, but now hardly gets used, and starting to look for alternatives. I guess our tastes evolve or we just get use to the tone.

I use the pedal for that "MIAB" lead tones and find it sounds great with my single coils guitars, not so much with the Les Paul. The sag is real and had to stop using it with the Les Paul and Wah at same time, which caused massive volume drops.

My pinnacle apparently also adds a touch too much bottom end that I can't dial out, which unfortunately makes it a bit mushy for playing chords. Interesting that I have found others that have commented the same thing elsewhere, as my amp settings are not very "bassy" at all.
    I still highly rate the pedal as when it sits in its "zone" it sounds really good. I'm finding I need something a bit more versatile at moment. For my Les Paul I use an OCD which is a great all rounder, but still not quite what I want.
    The search continues.....
    Best of luck with yours :)

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  20. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Never tried one but Andy Wood gets a great tone using a Pinnacle boosted with a Tumnus.
    I have a V2 MI Audio Crunch Box for brown sounds and dig it for the most part.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.