1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Voltages

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jh45gun, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

OK JBC thanks for posting that I will try that. I will take the voltages and post back but I cannot access the OT as it is under the board and the board will not lift enough connected to get at it.

2. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

OK TP 12 anjd 13 Measure nothing
    TP `5 measures 4.2 VAC
    and TP 16 and 17 measure both around 6.5 VAC this is with the guitar vol and treb vol at max as with the Amp Vol on full. Seems now that I have messed with it and moved some stuff around I do not have the vol quite as much as I did before????

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Moving things around now created more issues with lead dress the vol pots do not interact well now. I am thinking now to put this on the back burner until maybe I can get a chassis for it and then take it all apart and rewire it the way it should be since it does not work well in this head configuration.

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

This sounds like it might be a possible answer your problem.

If the Volumes are not interacting, perhaps the pots or some of your soldering were messed up to begin with. Moving wires shouldn't cause this (added noise and hum, maybe - but this? no).

5. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

If you've got a couple of pedals, and one that you can adjust so that it squeals (or a tuner with a line out), you can take the signal from the squealer into a 2nd pedal with a level control, and then take that signal into j3, then you should be able to dial-in a .1Vac test signal at tp12.

You don't have enough Volts post phase inverter. tp13 is very not-good.

What is the 6v6 plate-to-plate resistance (caps drained, amp off)?

What is the sensitivity of your meter? Make sure it is set for AC coupling. You can cross-check your meter by reading your heater Volts.

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

JBC I think this amp while it worked is messed up considering the board is mounted goofy since it is a head configuration using the existing chassis and every thing was made to fit. I think building a chassis with everything open to see with out the board covering sockets and tranny wireing is the way to go.

I built
    my 5f4 build the same way pretty much and it works good and sounds good except it is a bit funky in the Normal channel due to lead dress issues but the Bright channel works fine and I built that one the same way using an existing chassis and putting the board in and making it fit. So that one (The 5f4) I will leave as it does work good using the Bright channel and the normal channel works great too as long as you d not go past 8 on a ten scale on the vol or dime the treble then it squeals a bit I suspect that is lead dress issues too but since the bright channel works so good with no issues I figure to leave well enough alone with that amp as I have gigged with it and sounds really good. I guess I am finding out that using an existing chassis when not laid out as it should be can cause problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.