My Vaporizer makes this noise

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bones, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My Vaporizer started making this noise recently, after about 20 minutes of use , since i have had it for a while and play it a lot, I thought maybe the tubes were going bad, so I just re-tubed it.

Same noise shows up around the same time. It does eventually go away to some degree and then comes back .

I'm not much of an amp trouble shooter guy.

Any ideas?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Filter caps can cause noise.

3. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like interference to me. Are you in a house? Were there any new appliances or electronics brought home recently?

-tINY

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me.
    might as well try the easy stuff first
    have you added or changed any fans, floro light bulbs etc in your amp room?
    listen closely and
    try a different guitar cord
    plug the amp into a AC socket in a room that is on a different circuit
    wiggle the speaker wire connections on the speaker -loose?
    wiggle any and all plugs
    spin the knobs on both guitar and amp

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have had that noise in my PJ & removing/replacing tubes made it go away. May be oxidation on the pins/sockets. Many other possibilities, but I'd start there.

xafinity likes this.
  6. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

I agree with the people who said "ground loop." Plug it in at somebody else's house and see if it goes away.

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the RF interference camp based on the sound I hear. Bad lead dressing, drifting filter cap values, cables moved inside chassis, dirty valve sockets can cause tubes to start accepting RF interference, new source of RF nearby?

8. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

I'm no expert but, the noises that you hear at 20 seconds that tiny bip and the " trtrtrtrtr" sounds like data interference, there's a pattern, maybe a computer, do you use a filtered strip ? if not try, they're quite cheap and maybe that get's the thing solved.

I was wondering about the noise at the beginning that loud "shhh " that fades later, maybe you just torned on the amp ? if i'm not wrong it doesn't have a standby switch, so maybe that's jsut tubes warming up.

The first test to try is for sure using another outlet.

Hope it helps

cheers

9. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Well the good news it you now have some spare tubes that are probably good. Eliminating the tube issue my first thought is a bad connection in it or dirty pot. Could be RF hum but I doubt it especially if it takes 20 minutes to happen. I'm not telling you to open it up and do a probe that's for people like me who know how. That would be my next step. I found a cracked resistor in my Super Champ that way it did kind of the same thing your amp is doing and once in a while if I hit a hard chord it would cut out. It took me about an hour to probe the circuits and find and fix it.

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The noise sounds familiar . I had it on my '90s tweed Blues Deluxe.
    with time it got worse and started crackling and got un-playable.
    I poked around with a chop stick and could at least locate the area where it was coming from.

took it to a tech because unlike me, he knows what he's doing.
    he changed one bad tube but re-flowed all tube sockets and some pcb solder points.

11. bad-daddy

bad-daddy TDPRI Member

Check the grounding, I hear a 60 cycle hum in the background. Ungrounded inputs act as aerials. RF can cause the intermittent white noise.

12. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Computer and or cellphone nearby. I hear it all the time in my amps when the cellphone is on it/near it.

13. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Assuming you did change the tubes with known good tubes...

I don't think it's external noise since it only occurs after the amp is been on for 20 minutes. You should be able to hear external noise as soon as the amp is on not just after 20 minutes.

I suspect you may have a component in your amp that becomes noisy or significantly shifts in value with temperature after the amp has been on for 20 minutes. Problems such as this can be troubleshoot with "cold spray" designed for use with electronics.

Due to safety reasons I recommend that this only be done by a qualified technician.

I'm sure a good tech would go through the basics on the amp first though before trying "cold spray" to try to identify a temp sensitive component.

Good Luck!

Wally likes this.
  14. Bones

Ok, I have been using this amp again with and FDR-1 pedal, so that meant I wasn't using the amp's reverb and lo and behold, the noise stopped. Unplugged the pedal turned up the reverb on the amp and the noise was there. So I guess the reverb tank is bad? I'm the original owner so I guess I should be able to get this fixed under warranty.

15. Feathered Serpent

Feathered Serpent TDPRI Member

Sounds bad... take it to the doctor man...

16. Bones

With the reverb unplugged, the amp sounds great, with the reverb plugged in but turned to zero, the noise is gone, but the amp sounds anemic. There's no harm on the way from leaving the reverb unplugged, right?

17. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Apparently your Vaporizer is not the first with noisy reverb.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-fender-vaporizer-review-examination.461919/page-4

In this thread they used contact cleaner to clean the reverb jacks and a "noise problem" went away. Might be worth trying. According to the thread an op amp is used to drive the reverb and a tube is used in the recovery stage. The Vaporizer schematic attached to the thread is too blurry to make out.

Solid state devices can produce noise like that.

But if that amp is under warranty I would simply take it in for warranty service.

Wally likes this.
  18. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

It uses a triode in the drive stage when in Vaporize mode...

19. Bones

Thanks for the link, I didn't see that thread before when looking for others with this problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.