1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Tweed Deluxe in pieces.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by voskarp, Jul 11, 2019.

1. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

F039692B-07B6-49CD-ADCA-080180555D93.jpeg I now got me a 5e3 puzzle...

I’ll go at it slowly, one piece at the time, so to speak.

One day, or another I will have me a Tweed Deluxe to play my Telecaster through.

Joy!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Good luck with the build! Keep the pics coming during the process if you can.

3. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

5C8C8C7B-286E-4165-8EAB-BB836386E257.jpeg Progress so far...

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Looking good. Modulus are a good outfit I believe.

I haven't reviewed their layout, but I'll post it here for others to check out.

Tweed Deluxe Layout copy.png

Our friend Rob does his ground scheme a little differently, and you'll know his 5e3 info and mods are priceless. But the Modulus ground scheme may also work fine. There are many ways of grounding these small amps that will work.

5e3.png

I don't strictly follow just one single layout; for example I don't want a standby switch, and you may want to switch both the hot and neutral power per EU standards. But seeing different ideas (the ground scheme here, for example) gives you options and information.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    voskarp likes this.
  5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Good times ahead!
    I built mine 7 or 8 years ago and it's been great! Excited for you. I would like to see your face the first time you plug your Tele into the finished product. :)

nojazzhere and voskarp like this.
  6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I suppose there are some arguments for a Les Paul, but I believe you will be doing the right thing if the first guitar you plug into it is a Tele. Enjoy your build!

voskarp likes this.
  7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

This is what they say about the circuit ground:

ground.png

8. King Fan

Good stuff. Those are both totally accurate and correct statements. Most people don't isolate the input jacks (it is a fine thing to do, but also *very* complex with 4 jacks, and only marginally quieter). And only builders more dedicated to vintage correctness than noise reduction now use the random grounds Fender used in the original layout.

I should be clearer here. I'm not trying to complicate your build. Yes, I have seen other good small amp kits with inaccurate layouts. *But* in my quick scan I don't see problems with the Modulus layout.

The Modulus ground scheme will work fine, I believe, and their hot+neutral power switch is even safer than the US method. Carry on and enjoy!

voskarp likes this.
  9. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I have read robrobs website and others and picked up some good ideas and tips.

In Sweden you need to use the 2-pole switch because you can insert the plug either way around (unfortunately). I think I'll use the standby switch too (maybe that's more of a Marshall thing though).

10. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I believe my 50's style Stratocaster would be the most correct for this amp. If you look closely, you'll see my Tele is a little bit of a Gibson too... (the neck humbucker).

scelestus and King Fan like this.
  11. King Fan

Good stuff. Standby doesn't do much harm if you just use it as a 'mute' switch. In the interest of saving the planet by sharing accurate amp information, though, I always cite this from Merlin. :)

Kevin Wolfe, voskarp and theprofessor like this.
  12. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Naw, leave it in the bridge position! Deluxes can be woofy when cranked and Tele bridge pickups are a perfect match.

You're going to play it cranked first, right?

Edit: Nothing wrong with a Strat, though. I'm a Strat guy myself but there's magic in a Tele and a Deluxe.

voskarp likes this.
  13. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

So the Valve Wizard says a Standby switch "Can lead to failure of the rectifier valve (if the switch is between the rectifier and reservoir capacitor)".

That's like in Robs scheme, right?

In the Modulus layout the switch cuts the ground, so it's not a failure hazard according to the above statement, or is it?

Edit: Hmmm... It looks like it does the same thing anyway.:(

14. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

As far as I understand, according to the Wizard the Standby switch should go here (purple arrow).

upload_2019-7-12_20-4-13.png

15. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

B36FDB5E-F593-40DA-A063-CBAF5075E93C.jpeg Well. Ready to start working again!

16. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Now I just have to put the leads in and it’s ready for soldering. I think that will have to wait for tomorrow.

F885007B-E84F-467B-8E26-F65E9FF9276D.jpeg

Those .1 orange drops are really huge!

Need to bend them apart to solder the turrets in between.

17. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Please consider stopping for a moment and setting up the Robinette switchable NFB mod.

It takes next to no parts. It will take you longer to drill the hole for the switch than to make the mod.

I can go months playing with the switch engaged. It's really worth it.

Bob Mc likes this.
  18. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Hmmm...

The beer has turned into whisky, and I just watched some 80's live shows of Ramones and then Metallica on youtube...

But I'll consider it tomorrow. Maybe I can switch the standby switch (now that's one switch to far) for this Negative Feedback Thing, though I'm not into clean jazz.:p

I'm kind of not sure if this is gonna be (mostly) my clean or overdriven amplifier, since I love my AC4 cranked (although it sounds great clean too).

(I do use an attenuator when playing at home.)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  19. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

The NFB mod seems like a good thing to have onboard.

But I will make the amp "stock" to start with, maybe ditch the standby for this NFB later.

Would it create too much noise if I ran the wires up where the standby switch is located?

The only "mod" I'll put in from start is an attenuator (simple L-pad and on-on switch for bypass) for the speaker. I did this in my AC4, and it works great.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    King Fan likes this.
  20. King Fan

Yep, that’s brilliant, build stock and get it working, *then* mod. Rob mentions that too, but notes adding a simple extra eyelet / turret on the board now helps when you later do the mod. I also drilled a hole for a mini-toggle 3-way switch in the chassis; never fun in a completed tweed chassis.

The 'mod later' thing has a few exceptions as you already note. Safety mods? Amp protection mods that don’t affect the sound, especially if they'd be hard later, like Rob’s rectifier diodes? Prep for later mods? Those are good. Leaving out standby, or that Merlin 'mute' version, do not make the amp harder to start up and get working.

As to where to switch the NFB, you can run wires to the front, but if you go all the way down to the standby hole, you’re near a lot of hot AC, so shielded wire a la Rob is good.

Final overthinking thought [emoji846]. Many people put this 3-way NFB on a mini-toggle switch on the bottom of the chassis, as Rob does, and I’m guessing this works well because it isn’t a switch you tend to use 'on the fly.' If you do want it up top, folks seem to find a mini-toggle can fit at the input end of the controls. Here’s my prep eyelet and switch hole — your build is reminding me it’s about time to add the wiring!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.