My turn for a talk-me-out-of (pseudo) plea:

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, May 27, 2021.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

So I don't need another amp. I've got great stuff:

A recently rehabbed '73 Bandmaster Reverb hooked to a 2x12 cabinet made out of an old pine tox box, with Eminence 1258's. Glorious.

A Vox AC15C1. Once that spiky speaker broke in, it became deeply musical and willing to snarl.

An Excelsior Pro awaiting me to finish rehousing it in a 1952 Westinghouse TV cabinet. Clean machine willing to mosaic the masonry.

An Ibanez TSA15H I slid into a gutted 1936 Silvertone floor radio. Hooked to a golden velvets speaker, the WGS G10 C/S. (The best right out-of-the-box speaker I've ever used.)

And a beat-up red knob Princeton Chorus that actually works very well as a bass amp.

I also find my JOYO American Sound pedal a great way to dial up Tweedy tones and textures. I like edge-of-break-up, modest dirt at my extremes, but, generally, big, ringing, velvety and chimey cleans.

So I'm set for life, and very lucky.

Yet that need for tweed thing has bedeviled me for years. I find myself compulsively watching Pro Junior IV videos. And the several times I've heard one live, it magnetically drew me in. Touch sensitivity seems crucial here. I'm having dreams of pushing mid-rich cleans into the break-up rocks by playing a bit louder or harder.

So throw some cold water here and tell me that the JOYO AS is more than adequate for my tweedy needies, that the Pro Junior IV is prone to all the noisy gremlins that live in Fender PCB mass-market amps, that its pretty tweed skin is just another ex-wife's lawyer-in-wait, etc. Or that I can get a better-quality version of the same sound in the same type of handsome and handy package if I buy X or look into Y. I'm going to Chicago soon, so should I wait on this so I can personally check out Victoria's offerings? However, CME's on-hand stock is mighty thin, and Pro Junior IV's are plentiful and much cheaper....

?

And thanks!

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  2. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately you are not alone. (Maybe that is fortunately).

3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

So, if I read you right--and I think I am--you're saying "Get two!"

Or at least, "You know where your son hides his ATM card. Have at it, and tarry not on anonymous enablers' okay!"

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Dont buy a pro jr.

Buy a copy of a real tweed amp, be it champ, deluxe, pro, whatever.

Used a 5e3 is like $700 normally, you can get one made for you fir under a grand.

I'd advocate the PCB "59 bassman " over a pro jr.

Be a rebel, get a 5e5 made. Probably my favorite sounding amp I've ever owned to just play without having to use effects. Its tweed and pro, without facsimile or approximation. Theres only a few builders on Reverb who will make them, but they're barely more expensive than a 5e3.

Plan B, contact a builder about a 5e3 or tweed princeton head, run it in a cab you have.

But yea, sounds like a pro jr is a paving stone on your road to throwing money at a real tweed amp, so skip a step. If you don't like the real tweed, you won't be out much selling it because they're in demand.

There, I told you not to get a pro jr.

;)

Edit: yes, inspect victoria tweeds and weigh your options.

middy and chris m. like this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Pro Juniors are great amps that can go head to head with amps much more expensive and not come up wanting. They’re tone monsters, with stock speakers but especially with upgrades (I like a Greenback in mine). And they pair with Teles perfectly.

Wouldn’t doubt if it becomes your go-to amp. They’re awesome. But, they don’t sound like Tweed amps. Kinda their own thing (IMO I like them better).

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Maybe not the best place to ask to be restrained. I say do it!

[​IMG]

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Don't buy it. You have a really good amp -- the AC15, as well as the Bandmaster. You have a pedal that you like for getting Tweed-ish tones. You are set.

If you do buy something, buy something on par with your two best amps. And I would also suggest you take a hard look at the amps you own and consider selling/trading/giving away at least one before you bring another into the stable. My approach to GAS control is for every one that comes in, at least one has to go out-- whether it be guitars or amps. I've found that this really helps curb my urges. I review my existing inventory and usually decide I'll stand pat with what I've got.

I'm currently GASing a little bit for the Charvel So Cal Pro Mod Style 2 (Tele with Fluence humbuckers)....but as I've been going through this little exercise in my head I've been holding off on pulling the trigger. ...but there are about 3 guitars that are on my list of "I could let these go"....so maybe I'll go down that road. If I give up 3 to replace 1 I won't be out much money and I'll actually free up some closet space.

There's probably a pedal out there that would do an even better simulation of a Tweed amp, through your Bandmaster. I think CatalinBread makes a pedal for that purpose....

Jowes_84 likes this.
  8. randym

randym Tele-Meister

While I like my Pro Jr, it's not anything like a Fender Tweed. Nice grab and go amp, but if you want a Tweed, I agree with the poster above for a 5E3 or tweed Champ (or clone). I have the Victoria 5112 (champ with a 12" speaker in a deluxe size cabinet).

Ricky D. likes this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

I hear you my man! For years I've always wanted to experiment with sound i.e. what can I achieve? What can I do? What gear do I need to do it with? I decided a few years ago that I'm simply not getting any younger.... despite my best efforts to do so. Therefore..... I said WTH! I started amassing some of the finest stuff that $ can buy, and got crazy good deals on most of it so it's really not cost me all that in reality. Built my 51 Nocaster AND my 54 Strat as part of this plan. Just for starters, to give you some idea of the dream gear I've amassed:

JBL D120
    Altec Lancing 417-8C
    EV SRO12 coffee can Alnico
    Celestion Gold
    Celestion Ruby

Built my own D style cab just recently to house these beauties (the Gold is in it currently), and have my Champ XD, Marshall DSL40CR, and my 50's mod'ed Excelsior amp to crank through that cab right now. I also have some vintage Gibson amps like EH-150 and 180 too. Once I get that "special amp" that I'm waiting for it's gonna be "booyah"! And... I'm already thinking about getting a vintage Marshall Lead 100 head in the future too, just for the JBL, Altec and EV's (may have to warn the neihbors:))! Plus, I got a J.R. Archer pedal recently and am really diggin' that baby too.

Point is - I can't take my $$$ with me and, after that fateful day comes, I won't care anyway... not that I ever did. So why not have some fun while I still can??? Afterall, I'm the one that worked my A__ off for that $$$! At least I can say I did it while I could :D Don't know if this helps or not but FWIW :cool:

10. standup

standup TDPRI Member

A tweed champ or Princeton clone head might scratch the itch, use it with speakers you already have. I recently saw pics of some “Tone Bakery” tweed combos with 12” speakers that looked cool. And not too high-priced.

photo is my always handy beside the desk Princeton clone. I was going to put it in that cabinet for a tiny combo, but the previous owner did a nice job on the head cabinet, it looks sharp. And for this setup the controls are handy.

Right now I play this little 5-watt tweed more than anything else. Partly because it’s conveniently located within arm’s reach.

Attached Files:

Telekarster and radiocaster like this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you want a tweed, get a tweed, not a Pro Jr ,. No matter what the cabinet is covered with. A 5e3 is a different animal.

Telekarster likes this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Gas is fundamental to our survival. I could never talk you out of a new amp or app or pedal or strap or guitar or a cool snakeskin cable.

Telekarster and northernguitar like this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd like some pics of the current inventory.
    I just ordered an attenuator from the company that includes candy w/ shipments (arriving Friday?) and hope that'll make things better for at-home play.
    No gigs on the horizon.
    Peace - Deeve

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I tried to love a pro Junior but couldn’t find any.
    I have no problem telling you to love what you have.

15. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Hmm, a Class A Tweed Princeton (mod for single ended KT-66) with an EVM12L, a matching 6G15 tanker, and a closed back EVM15L extension cabinet? Well, I'm not going to be much help on this one.

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Roscoe, Roscoe, @RoscoeElegante ,
    You've already got a 6L6 amp, and at least one EL84 amp and other than the Excelsior (which is a whole other species of it's own) you don't have 6V6s covered. A 5E3 Deluxe or 5E4 Super will cure that! Let's face it, a Pro Junior is simply a stripped down Blues Junior!

If you never owned a "REAL" Tweed, you owe it to yourself, at least once!

Sorry To Say, The Need 4 Tweed Continues Indeed!
    Gene

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Love my PJIV. Just saying’...

18. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

If you don’t have budget or space constraints-do what you want.
    Otherwise:
    Don’t buy another amp.

19. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

@RoscoeElegante, very foretelling that you used the word 'gremlin' in your original post, lol!

I immediately thought of the Tone King Gremlin for your particular situation.....ok, ok, ok....it's an amp on my bucket list to try at least once, so I did have a vested interest in replying to your post. And, I checked CME for you .... there is a single head available but the combos won't be in until July.

I didn't realize how much I had been looking and wanting for a tweed tone until the last two months.

I tried out a Blues Cube Stage amp and found that I absolutely love it. You should check it out at least once. It has great tweed tones.

I loved the BC tone so much that on a whim I decided to search the user community for user-created tones for my Fender GTX100 amp and found an amazing tone named 'Angry Tweed Twin' .... and decided after several hours that it was the only tone I needed and returned the BC Stage, albeit, a very difficult decision.

But, that doesn't mean you and I can't play with other amps, right? Every Tone King Gremlin reviews I've ever watched has glorious tweed tones. I'd love to kill a Saturday afternoon in some music store playing around with that one.

There may be other Tone King models that could be a better fit as I am of the understanding that the Gremlin is the smallest/lowest-powered amp in their lineup (5W 12") but for me, at least, that is plenty.

At the same time, I would suspect that Joyo pedal should already be getting you very close .... but if feeling adventurous, then give the Gremlin and the Blues Cube Stage amps a try in your search for tweed.

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have nine...I think. No help here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.