My Tube vs SS vs Digital Demo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hoodster, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

ucnick and Bluego1 like this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

thanks!

I did like the Quilter first and the Champion second! There are times I like the Champion better!! LOL

3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I got the Quilter Toneblock 201 a few weeks ago. My fifth, and last amp. Seriously, amp GAS completely gone, but going nuts on pedals:).

stormsedge likes this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Quilter, the micro Pro Mach2 is the one I want.. since I rely on my pedals for dirt, I really think I dont need tube tone for the things I do, heck I dont recall a time I went past 4 on my amp anyway! but its just the price Im struggling with as I can get a nice used tube amp for that.. but the thing is, I dont want to lug such a big heavy thing when the micro pro is something I can bring and have a smile on my face instead of feeling like Im working out. LOL

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm not sure the "knobs at 12 o clock" approach tells you what you want, really. Could you have gotten a brighter sound out of the Quilter or Fender amps equivalent to the Traynor if you'd goosed the treble a bit? In real life usage, if you wanted more treble, you'd turn it up.

My approach would be to do two tests of the tone controls. One with them all the way up and one with them all the way down. OK three. Those two, then I'd try to dial in (for a given guitar) what I subjectively felt was the "best" tone.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I appreciate the feedback. It's funny, because I did just that on another speaker comparison where I adjusted the tone controls and had people crying foul.

Regarding the quilter, it was on the brightest, most BF setting as I indicated, full mid scoop.

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well it's just my opinion. Given that pots can have different tapers you can't know for sure if "12 o'clock" is really the 50% point. By testing at the extremes you'd get a better sense of what the tone circuit was capable of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.