1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

my true 1 piece maple neck moves a lot with temperature change, does yours?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Dec 29, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

I have bought two necks both one piece maple, the first I had problems with and in the end it packed up on me it just started buzzing past the 12th fret and the action never seemed to be the same from one month to the next. I bought another from the same brand and loved the second much more than the first but again with weather change (here in sweden there is drastic weather) the sweet spot I had it in has completely changed? strings are much higher than before but the relief seems to be the same i think? saddles have not moved but something has made the action much higher? is it me or is this a thing with one piece maple necks? if so I really think i'm a rosewood guy after all or just a slab/veneer fretboard fan. anyone have this issue?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t quite know how the neck can physically bow (bringing action up/or down) without changing relief

Depending on time of year (temperature/humidity changes) I usually have to adjust my necks 1-2 times a year rosewood board and one piece maple, although I don’t play out and try to keep my guitars at a constant humidity

Temperature is hard to control where I am so that’s where most of my adjustments come from

ben smith likes this.
  3. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

My '03 MIM standard has a solid neck with a decent amount of figuring-which can cause instability-and it's like a rock.

ben smith likes this.
  4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

relief is probably a fraction higher but can that make such a difference? maybe i can feel that much of a hairs difference in that case.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

As winter brings dry weather the neck will bow up raising the action.

I find cheaper necks seem to often be less stable than higher quality necks because of the wood selection and how well it's seasoned or dried before milling.
    Running a humidifier in winter can help a lot.

Maple vs RW fingerboard is not related to neck stability.

6. Fretting out

I don’t know if it’s perceivable but the difference of a hair or 1/64 plus or minus in relief can be enough to cause buzzing if the relief is already tight

ben smith likes this.
  7. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

yeah i believe this is exactly it. it's not the cheapest neck it's made very well indeed. a quarter sawn would be more stable right?

8. Fretting out

I have a basement apartment and run a humidifier in the winter and dehumidifier in the summer to keep a constant humidity and find I have to make adjustments less often
    I’m not sure how well this works though if you’re a gigging musician and take your instruments out of the controlled environment often

ben smith likes this.
  9. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Tele-Meister

Interesting topic. I hardly seek out quarter sawn necks(not sure why not), and dont see much fluctuation with my necks.
    Rift sawn, flat sawn, quarter, etc... Most seem pretty stable, to me.

If my guitars got buzzy with flat sawn, or rift sawn necks, they would be gone in a day.
    I have never used a humidifier, but I am sure the guitars could benefit from it.

Really, I only worry about solid wood acoustic guitars in my environment.
    Especially since winter here can get cold, and shock things up pretty quick.

ben smith likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

I'd say it takes weeks for the moisture content of the neck wood to drop enough to warp, but weeks in a van will screw it up for sure.
    Hours to a gig and back to the climate control isn't enough to dry out the wood.

ben smith and Fretting out like this.
  11. telemnemonics

Freezing a guitar and bringing it into a warm room will do other stuff though and throw it out of tune of course.

tamer_of_banthas and ben smith like this.
  12. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

just to add i have a gretsch i leave in england for months at a time in a non heated environment, it sits in a gig bag in a wardrobe and sees summer and winter come and go but every time i go back and play it nothing has changed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.