1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Toughest Unhealthy Habit to Break

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Sugar. I beat overeating, depression, and alcoholism. After a recent doctors visit I began assessing my daily sugar intake. I knew I was an addict before this. I added up the major additions and stopped at 175 grams. Probably 200g or so daily. So that's over 6 ounces of sugar I go out of my way to add. So I reduced my intake a week ago. I find myself desiring more! This didn't happen as strongly as quitting cigarettes or alcohol. Anyway, I dumped 6.4 oz of sugar in a bowl and imagined eating that in one session. Yuk! I see a bit of weight loss pursuing this change too. Just eliminating 1 energy drink I like daily drops 60 grams. I bought that drink by the case. None around now. Sigh. P1230001.JPG

2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

cigarettes. I let the booze & sugar go a long time ago.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I had to "temporarily" eliminate sugar in my diet about seven years ago due to an odd, somewhat rare medical reason. It was almost impossible. I did lose 25 lbs and even though I consume some sugar these days, that 25 lbs. have stayed off no matter how much I eat now. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

We are addicted to sugar, because it is embedded in our western diet. It comes in many forms. You can't cut out enough of it.

4. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you beat overeating, depression, and alcoholism, this’ll be a piece of cake. Pun intended. I gave up soda about 5 years ago and have one occasionally (1x/mo). It tastes so much better than when I drank it daily.

And you will no longer need energy drinks with the change in eating habits. Good luck!

5. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

6 foot and 176#, and the only way I maintain this svelte (albeit rapidly aging) figure of manhood is by consuming about 2/3's less sugar than a few years ago (then @ 197#).

6. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Are you adding sugar to things, or just consuming things with a lot of sugar in them?

There was a time when a significant amount of my daily calories (and 100% of my fluid intake) came from soft drinks. I started drinking water instead (and eating breakfast to make up the calorie difference). I never knew how thirsty I was- it manifested in a craving for something sweet. Over time (not a lot if I remember correctly) that craving went away and I just got thirsty instead.

A 12 pack of soda would last me about a week. Now one will last me years.

These days, I have a problem with salt, though.

7. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I consume less than 100 grams per day. Because of my ancestry, I’m a prime candidate for type 2 diabetes. Don’t want it. I’d rather restrict my sugar intake before that.

It takes a while, but you get used to it. You begin to taste the natural sweetness in things. And you stop craving sweet stuff.

I ate a piece of candy awhile back and hated it. It seemed so sickening sweet that I didn’t like it at all.

If you hang in there, your body adjusts and you break its hold on you.

jman72, tubedood, unfamous and 3 others like this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

20+ years as a diabetic, on an insulin pump, and still can't cut sugar. Tough addiction. Got worse after becoming diabetic.

IMO, I feel cutting sugar is helped by cutting salt. Yin/yang in an eastern diet. Eat something salty, want something sweet 15 minutes later, then salt, then sweet, repeat...

Unfortunately, I don't cook, so I eat allotta salt-impregnated prepared foods. I blame the incredible EXCESS salt in modern foods the key to America's problems with obesity and sugar addictions.

mojek likes this.
  9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love sugar stuff

Decades as a distance runner I lived on high carbs.

It's a hard hard habit for me to break and mitigate, but I've done it 80%.

I. Miss. It. A real MacDonalds Coke?? Oh. My.
    :(

10. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, my curse is beer, because it makes me gain weight, and that raises my blood pressure.

I love having a good craft beer or two near the end of a home practice session.
    I can exercise/diet Mon.- Fri. (briskly walk ~2 miles in AM and eat only 2 meals a day: cereal at 11:00 AM/ sensible dinner @ ~6:00 (18 hour overnight fast), no sugar, no snacks, no soda: drink only water and nonfat milk). I can usually lose about 3-4 pounds during the week.

Drink a six-pack of beer over the weekend and it all comes back.
    Definitely an age-related curse.

11. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Beer is my kryptonite as well. I’ve cut down significantly on sugar and carbs so I can still have a few beers each week. I haven’t lost weight, but have maintained it.

Next up is exercising so that I can still have a few beers each week (beyond the 1 mile daily dog walk) and maybe lose 5 pounds at the same time. Getting old has its disadvantages.

mojek likes this.
  12. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

Excess salt is another one that is tough to kick.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Do a cost/benefit analysis! Draw a plus sign shaped grid; put the benefits of sugar in the top left, the costs of it in the top right, the benefits of quitting sugar in the bottom left, and the costs of quitting sugar in the bottom right. If you want, post the results, or keep to yourself but it's a useful exercise--you'd think that everything should balance out, but it rarely does. You can do it!

Hey_you and Chicago Matt like this.
  14. billy logan

billy logan TDPRI Member

I'm thin - but I had become skinny-fat - 184 lbs. Pecan Sandies, Hershey's PretzelnPeanuts etc.etc.etc. I was used to seeing 155 on the scale.

My very specific diet change (will probably only work for 1 in a 1,000,000):
    Low sodium vegetable juice.

Tasted like *** **** at first. Once I did get to liking it, it was kryptonite against the sugar-fat-salt super-powers trying to keep me consuming and gaining. Yeah, my palate changed and junk food seemed too sweet or too salty. Like Steerforth says in post#7.

While dropping the weight- breakfast, huge lunches, big suppers, but no midnite snacks. 160 lbs. now.
    Low sodium vegetable juice.
    Tastes like *** **** at first.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya. Smoking too
    About 50 yrs . Cut down but
    Not out

Hey_you and glenlivet like this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Mojo to you. Getting past this stuff is not easy.

I am a cookies/cakes/chocolate FREAK. Have you noticed my tagline below?

The only way I can avoid it is to not have any in the house. Every time I hit the market I stop and look at all the cookies and I have the same conversation with myself (the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other):

"Mmmmmm COOKIES!"

"Cookies are bad for me."

"I know...everything yummy is bad for me. Let's get some."

"NOPE NOPE NOPE" and I walk away. I hope it stays that way.

17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

My wife and I simply cut out sugar a couple of years ago (for a while, unfortunately) and the weight came off quickly. I lost 14 pounds in a short time period, but I can't remember if it was one month our two.

I had my first Coca-Cola in two or three years, a couple of weeks ago. It was SO good! And it was a Diet Coke!

18. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I never quit sodas, i was drinking maybe 2 or 3 cans / day 10 or 15 years ago. I replaced it with sparkling water at about that time, and didn't notice and withdrawal symptoms of sorts. I swapped sodas for water because of cavities. Clever move right ?

Once thing i noticed is that if i had sodas in the evening, it prevents me from sleeping. And i like sleeping. A lot. The best part of the day is when i go to bed to read a book. The 2nd best part of the day is when i switch off the lights after reading to get some rest.

So maybe give perrier a try, i don't know how expensive it is at your place though.

19. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I can't recommend a Sodastream enough. Cheaper than Perrier or La Croix, and no lugging cans home from the store.

20. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good luck with this. Good to recognize it. Some suggestions...Watch for the "added sugars" line on nutritional info panels now. Breakfast cereals and breads and any processed foods are probably high in added sugar, at least in the U.S. My sister reminded me of a suggestion to shop only the outer ring of the grocery store... basic foods like vegetables, fruits, dairy, meat and eggs. Fruit juices can be too high, too. Better to eat the fruit.

Beer, though,... can't not have a beer now and then, carbs or not, but I try to cut back. We were drinking a couple each practice and after gigs, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.