1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My thoughts of my Brad Paisley Road worn

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Jul 31, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I thought I'd give some of my thoughts on this guitar. Its the least expensive guitar I've purchased Since the mid 80's not counting the pink strat squire I bought for my daughter and the Taylor GS mini I bought for my grand daughter. But since I technically don't own them they don't count. I've always stuck with US made guitars for my uses.
    However this guitar grabbed my attention when I played it a couple years ago through a 1965 Deluxe reverb (real 65) and have wanted it ever since. It had such a warm beautiful lush tone. I attributed it mostly to the deluxe but having played it for a week through my Tone King Sky king its still got that warm tone that I remember. Very snappy when you dig in. I have come to the conclusion that I like the tone of both bridge and neck pickup better than the Broadcaster\Nocaster thats in my expensive custom shop 52.
    Initially the weight of the guitar was nice but I'm thinking now there is such a thing as too light and I prefer the weight of my custom shop 52 at 6.9 pounds. The BP roadworn kind of feels toyish.
    As well I far prefer my CS 52's big Nocaster U neck although the neck on the BPRW is nice as well. Not quite as big as I like but full enough for me for comfort.
    The factory set up was not bad. I tweaked it a little with a bit less relief and slightly brought the saddle down. However the nut on this thing is horrible. The slots need to be lowered and the strings get stuck and bound causing them to go sharp. I'll likely take it somewhere and have the nut replaced with bone.
    I was originally thinking of changing out the bridge and saddles for Rutters but I see nothing wrong with the factory hardware so for at least now I'll leave them.
    I love the sparkle finish. After many years of butterscotch or blond finishes (which I do love my blond CS52) I feel like I've stepped out of the box a little with this crazy sparkle finish.
    Like many others I kind of wished they had left out the arm wear as I think the sparkle finish would have been better that way but it is a small spot and the smoothness does feel good with my arm rested there. It doesn't really bother me that much.
    I've never owned an MIM before and I'm pretty impressed. The only other MIM that I even picked up in a store recently was a Vintera 50's Tele. And I was impressed by the one I played. I have only played around in the music stores with the US model Strats and Teles and mostly I've never been that impressed with most of them. Although I'm limited in experience with comparison to the standard US to MIM guitars, what I have seen indicates not a lot of difference.

dgabbear and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. sirshackleton

sirshackleton TDPRI Member

I've played a couple of these and dig them. I agree that I wish they had gone lighter on the arm wear and left some more of that cool silver sparkle.

MonkeyJefferson and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe that had the same problem. Between a (slightly weird) neck-to-body joint (it had a deeper cutout due to the 22-fret neck, and that just felt too weird for me to hang) and the super-light weight, I just couldn’t bond with the feel of the guitar. If it had “felt” a little better, I would have replaced the meh-ish pickups—it was a gorgeous guitar (see below)

10D3D2C8-F376-45A9-B504-E406A8E6CEFA.jpeg

I am an avid advocate for MIM Fenders. Best bang-for-the-buck instruments on the market, IMHO—especially if you are looking at the “higher end” Ensenada offerings—the reissues, FSRs and signature models.

I second that emotion.
    If this was a bit less relic’d, I think it would have been a bigger seller—between the cool sparkles and the semi-unique neck shape, it’s definitely a cool guitar.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love mine too. Great sound, like the neck contour and I dig the light weight too. A superb guitar that is among the top guitars I own (and there is quite a herd of them)

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The light weight isn't a deal breaker for me. If the local gigging scene ever recovers in my area and I do some gigging I'll likely bring the roadworn over my custom shop for the lightness.
    To me when I first pick it up off the stand it feels toyish. But when I've got it strapped on I don't think about it. I could probably wear it everywhere and forget I had it on. :D

audiopablo and dgabbear like this.
  6. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

"Toyish" is exactly how I feel about this guitar. I have played about 4 of them and they have all had a really cheap feel and poor setup to them. Every single one had major fret sprout, fret buzzing. Love the silver finish but would look classier without the relic job.

7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Maybe I got lucky. No fret sprout. Doesn't feel cheap to me. The set up wasn't bad but I'm particular and will even tweak a bit when I get it back from my set up guy. Only one tech I ever had got it exactly how I wanted it.
    No buzzing on mine. The only complaint is the nut and I've replaced better nuts so again I'm finicky when it comes to this.
    My toyish comment only refers to the light weight feel and I don't mean it necessarily in a derogatory way.
    I always had a bias against anything less than a particular level. First it was anything less than a US model was off my list. Then it was anything less than a custom shop or small builder boutique. This guitar has restored my faith that there can be good value in less expensive guitars and that they can be very playable and very enjoyable.

dgabbear likes this.
  8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I’ve played one of these Brad Paisley teles in a store and liked it. Like many of you, I would have liked it better without the half-assed relicing.

I own two MIM Fenders: a p-bass that is wretched, bought it from a friend for $50 and really in need of a new neck and all new electronics (the bass not the friend); and a La Cabronita tele that is great. I often play the La Cab at the expense of my other tele that cost three times more.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

$1200 is an awful lot for any MIM. The fake wear doesn't go with the silver sparkle at all to me or else I'd have one by now.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The tone doesn't go with it either. Its way too good sounding for a $1,200 guitar.

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Same here :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.