1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Tele seems to lack twang...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Royal Tele, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Well I will definitely mess with the pickup height on my Tele. I'm more familiar with adjusting Strat pickups than I am adjusting Tele pickups. Should I expect it to be pretty similar? For example, on a Strat, the lower you set the pickups, the more open, airy, clear tone you get. If you set them closer you get a more midrange-heavy sound and you tend to hear more of the pickup than the wood. I would assume it's the same on a Tele, but an earlier comment makes me wonder if that's true. If I adjust my Tele pickups lower, should I expect it to enhance the twang I'm looking for?

2. Fresh

Fresh Tele-Meister

You dont need to change anything (parts) on that guitar to make it twang, what you have to do is keep experimenting with the settings of both the guitar and your amp/pedals. The chances are minimal that its an issue with the guitar bridge, neck, body, nut, pots or tuners. Thats part of the fun, learning how to make that thing sing

3. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

I cured this problem in two of my tele's by changing the saddles.I switched back to 3x2 saddles made of titanium and in the other one I retrofitted a Callaham bridge and both worked brilliiantly.

4. stevelaw_11

stevelaw_11 TDPRI Member

Of course selecting the bridge pick up is essential for twang and dialling up the treble in your amp helps.
    But like others have said raising your bridge pick up will probably do it. When I set up my guitar there was a huge difference, sounds a lot more punchy.

Everybody wants change bridge and saddles or completely gut out the electronics to change there tone. But I my experience its the little things that really change your tone. Getting familiar with your amp knobs, changing pick up heights. Trying different types and gauges of strings. Try playing with a bunch of different guitar pick types and thicknesses! You'll be a amazed at what a 50 cent pick can do for your sound.

5. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I'm definitely using the bridge pickup for the twang tone hunt. I guess I need to raise the pickup some and dial in more treble. Shouldn't be very hard to do since I play through a Vox.

6. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Lighter Strings are gonna Twang more...9's generally feel to light to me, so I found a happy medium with 9.5's. Other than that, I assume you don't use your Fingers on the Higher/Thinner strings? When you want it to really Twang, it's pretty essential to use your Fingers to Snap and Pop those strings. It's in their for sure, I can get pretty much any guitar to twang just by using a Chickin Pickin style...GL

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I've got 10's on my Tele. I sometimes play with my fingers, and I've done the plucking thing a little. I haven't combined picking and finger plucking together yet. I suppose I ought to begin practicing that. And that leads me to think a compressor would serve me really well. Thx for the input everyone!

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Lots of good advice here for you, but as stated above, the greatest affect towards twang will be your technique after you check the set up. Your tele seems to have all the necessary ingredients. Good luck and have fun!

9. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

For a good twang factor just listen to....

Don Rich on those old Buck Owens record. A Telecaster with one cord plugged directly into a Twin Reverb. No effects, only amp reverb and it gives you tone to die for. I don't have a Twin but I do have an old MusicMan 212 amp that'll give me pretty much that same sound when plugged straight into it... Compression is nice but I think it'll muddy you up just a tad. My main Tele has a six saddle bridge and it's got plenty of twang. I also use a thumb and fingerpicks. Tele hero James Burton also used a finger pick along with his flat picker and B-Bender player Bob Warford uses two fingerpicks along with his flat pick... It gives you a bright clear sound......JH in Va.

10. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

regarding the "tone is in the fingers" statements, go to Guitar Center and play on something with vintage specs. If it twangs, then its your setup. If not, then its technique.

11. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

I've gotta say that all this talk of 3 v 6 saddle bridges doesn't mean much at all IMHO. I've played sooo many different kinds of teles....the twang is there ..whatever bridge you got. You've just gotta coax it out a bit by twaking your eq's.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

True, I can twang on a strat, e.g.

13. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Look up the Fender set up guide on the internet. Start with the suggested pickup heights, and work from there, a little at a time. Also the amp eq settings, as someone suggested more treble, less bass, and even less middle. My settings on a Crate V50 are treble 7, mids 3, Bass 5 or 6, and learn to use the volume AND tone knobs.

14. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

The Fender "Pat Pend" reissue 3-barrel bridge is made of steel. and steel messes with the magnetism of the pole pieces in the pickups. This has been said to affect the sound by many, according to what I read.. I put the vintage 3-barrel bridge and saddles on my 1991 American Standard years ago.. It did make a more twangy tone. And I love the look of the old 3-barrel bridge a lot. Fender may make a "STEEL" 6-saddle bridge... I'm not sure. But the cost of mine was dirt cheap, compared to the boteek expensive companies. I will always use the Fender Pat Pend on all the Teles I may get in the future... I think?... My tele is Alder with a huge one piece maple neck..

15. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

My Tele seems to lack a talented player...

16. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

As was stated above, a Les Paul can twang if you pluck it right.

17. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

I play an Esquire and it twangs no matter what I do. If I do some snapping of the strings with my fingers the twang is so powerful it starts to blow people through doorways and whatnot.

Your guitar sounds like it can't help but twang, either. If you want classic country twang, then, it's gotta be in technique not hardware.

18. cnewberg

cnewberg TDPRI Member

As others have already said, twang is more in the technique. If I would have known those two things years ago I would have saved a lot of frustration:

-Pulling/popping strings with your fingers will give you twang ala Brent Mason.

-Picking close to the saddles will give you twang ala Don Rich/Bakersfield.

Gear choices are just icing on the cake.

19. DCtwanger

DCtwanger TDPRI Member

Agree on technique; pulling, popping with fingers, palm muting at the bridge. Helps to pick a classic country or rockabilly song and practice these.

I have Twang King pickups and they do sound twangier raised up high :) A loud clean amp with reverb doesnt hurt

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

One thing that will help is a vintage tele bridge. I've stuck those gotoh six saddles bridges on teles a couple times, and they're good for what they are, but they don't have as much tele twang. get a wilkinson for about $25 and give it a shot. It will certainly get you further towards your goal, tho i can't say how close. I also have to say i've never had much luck getting very good fender sounds from warmoth necks and I had many before i realize fender necks tend to have fender sound a lot more than warmoth due to the construction and the region where they harvest thier wood. Thats my opinion and it will be contested as always, but just telling you my experience with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.