1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My tele is TOO HEAVY LIMITED EDITION!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by C-Jah, Feb 2, 2021.

1. C-Jah

C-Jah TDPRI Member

hi there guys. here is my story. i got my first fender tele in 2019 from willcutt, it's a 2019 Limited Edition American Professional Telecaster 0179305767 (same as https://willcuttguitars.com/products/fender-limited-edition-american-pro-telecaster-honey-blonde-573). the only thing that is different from other regular ampro teles is the honey blonde finish it has. its hardly a very special limited edition however i really love its color.

IMG_5077(20210106-102555).JPG

a few weeks before, i took off its neck and pickguard to do some maintainance. i found a label under the neck pickup says BODY AM PRO TELE LT ASH HBL PNT.

IMG_6716.JPG

wait a minute.. LT ASH? i remembered there is another limited edition ampro on the fender catalogue, it is Lightweight Ash American Professional Telecaster 0179301767 (https://shop.fender.com/en/intl/ele...rican-professional-telecaster/0179301767.html). it also has the honey blonde finish as my tele but it has the lightweight ash body! i wondered will they two have the same body? does it mean my tele also has the same lightweight body? so i wrote a email to ask fender and got the reply soon. 'Yes, your guitar and the LE lightweight tele do use the same body.' the manager said in reply. so.. it means that my tele has not only a cool finish color, but also a lightweight body! that was a nice surprise!

however.. my story didn't end here. a few days later, i set the neck and pickguard back and took off the bridge pickup. oops.. another label showed up! it's handwritten and it says 'TOO heavy'!

IMG_6793.JPG

what the hell is too heavy!.. after a while i realized, maybe the body on my tele was knocked out from the lightweight ash bodies. so its just a regular weight ash body, no lightweight, but TOO heavy. i am dumbfounded at the moment. LMAO, ok, fine, too heavy, its kinda special somehow, right? hmm i am gonna call it 'too heavy' from now on. its my irreplaceable unique too heavy limited edition tele! i love my too heavy! LOL

all right thats all. thanks for watching my dumb long story. and im so sorry for my horrible grammar. hope this can give you some fun. cheers!

IMG_5077(20210106-102555).JPG

2. sdsy1212

sdsy1212 TDPRI Member

这tele多重?

3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think that is a cool story- yeah I think it was pulled out of the light ash line as it was too heavy. Great story and makes the guitar even cooler to me!

Maguchi, Ripradiant, jays0n and 3 others like this.
  4. C-Jah

C-Jah TDPRI Member

7 lbs 14 oz

5. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

She's so heavayyyyyy!!!

SRHmusic, Maguchi, pippoman and 4 others like this.
  6. sdsy1212

sdsy1212 TDPRI Member

Not too heavy to me. Same as mine in my avatar. But a nice story.

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Cool. Guitar spelunking. Reminds me of a Cadillac that kept coming back to the dealership (in the 70s) with a "clunk" that took months and some gymnastics to locate. My Dad finally got permission from GM to open the frame rail. The mechanic found a 6oz popular soda beverage bottle laying in there with a cryptic note inside concerning rich folks and their cars. It would roll or bang only at certain angles on certain bumps. :lol:

8. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

i guess she plays easyer heavy metal things?:D:D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    tintag27 likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s NO GOOD!

It must be disposed of immediately!

Tainting the light ash name!

I think it’s kind of cool, you got the one that almost got away , they said “this is too heavy it’s going to Mexico!” Then another inspector said “no it’s not!”

10. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Makes me wonder how much the "not too heavy" ones weighed. My tele weights exactly: 8.4 pounds. I'd love 7 and 14 oz. Sweet guitar!

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Less than 8 pounds is not bad for a Tele.

12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Most light ash guitars I've seen listed at Wildwood are under 7.5 pounds. Most closer to 7.

Last time I measured everything I think it was ~3 pounds for every thing but the body.

Just weighting the body you'd need one under 4.5 pounds to have a Tele under 7.5 pounds.

Different hardware and neck weight will vary. But I always look for bodies in the 4 pound range to guarantee a finished guitar under 7.5 pounds.

Maguchi and cjp60 like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My "former" #1 Telecaster is exactly eight lbs......and it gets pretty heavy on a gig. In 2019, I "assembled" my own version, deliberately aiming for a lighter weight. I used a Paulownia body, and it is definitely light.....in fact, almost too light. At a little over 5 lbs, I experience a slight "neck dive". I suspect something between six and seven lbs. would be ideal. I believe 7lbs. 4oz. falls into that "good" range.
    ENJOY!!!!

Maguchi likes this.
  14. C-Jah

C-Jah TDPRI Member

LOL

it makes me wanna give her some wine and listen to her legendary story LOL

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

Cool story and great lookin guitar.

Nixxy likes this.
  16. C-Jah

C-Jah TDPRI Member

there is another note handwritten '4.98'. maybe it means the body is 4.98 pounds weight i guess.

Peegoo likes this.
  17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Telefan65 and gregulator450 like this.
  18. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That'd bring it close to your 7 pound 14 ounce total.

My guess is Fender was weighing the bodies for the lightweight ash run.

Weighing the body is really a good way to determine the weight of the end product.

You can easily drop a couple ounces with aluminum control knobs.

Vintage tuners will also save some weight over cast/ sealed (modern) tuners.

That said, I have Teles in the same weight range as yours and they aren't a problem.

My personal cut off point is 8 pounds. Anything under that is fine but I do prefer 7.5 or less.

My CV and Hot Rod Teles both weigh 7,14 and they are both great guitars.

Just saying, I wouldn't sweat it!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  19. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

All the better to play that heavy music on it, man...let me hear Detroit Michigan make some noise!

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Great story and a very sweet looking tele.

You have probably started a trend of TDPRIers taking their teles apart looking for notes.:lol:

RobRiggs, Johne1 and gregulator450 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.