1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My tele is noisier than my strat...what's up?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 100LL, Sep 17, 2020.

1. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey looking for some education here. I was playing my Telecaster this afternoon and was noticing more of a hum on the single coils than exist on my Stratocaster.

One of the interesting things is that if I select two of of my Strat pickups the hum largely goes away...and I understand the reason behind that (and the concept of a humbucker, which I have a dual humbucker guitar as well).

What confuses me is that on the Tele when I select both pickups it doesn't really do much at all to the hum. Maybe a little but not much.

the details on my Tele:
    Fender USA Original Vintage ‘52 Tele Pickups

the details on my Strat:
    Fender USA Standard Strat pickups

upload_2020-9-17_20-38-21.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is one of the pickups not reverse wound? Or would that even matter?

3. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

^
    Your tele may not have one if it's pickups reverse wound, which could account for no hum being bucked in the middle position.

TeleTucson likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Is it hum-noise or just noise?

Touching the strings/metal or not touching the strings/metal? Check the noise when hanging onto/playing the guitar.

If general noise it's the rest of the wiring in the guitar.

The Strat may have better shielding paint installed than the Tele, or there is a break in the continuity of the shielding.

I swap the wires from the volume pot to the jack with shielded cable ... just like you'd use shielded cable from the guitar to the amp. Often that is half the noise floor in a guitar.

Then aluminum flashing tape (Nashua brand works) the cavities and pickguard cleaning up the other half of the idle noise. I put flashing tape over grounding paint as I find it improves the performance. Some guitars they paint flat regular stuff not grounding so I don't trust that just because it's dull black that it's shielding and don't often trust it even if the meter says it's conductive.

5. 100LL

That's interesting advice, thank you.

I recently replaced the jack cup to do the highly recommended solid style. When in there I replaced the jack itself. I wonder if if my solder job was poor?
    https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Jacks-Jack-Plates_y/Modern-Tele-Style-Solid-Jack-Socket

although that wouldn't explain the center position issue. Do you typically get noise cancelling in the middle position. Maybe my pickups, as suggested here, aren't opposite wound. How can I check that?

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

American Vintage Telecaster pickups are both the same wind direction and magnet polarity like the real 52 ones.

Hence unlike your modern US Strat pickups they do not hum cancel. In a real 52 Tele, you had no parallel position. You had neck pup, neck pup through a capacitor for a bassy tone to ticktack with an upright bass, and the neck only. Modern wiring with neck-parallel-bridge selection only appeared in 65/66.

Vintage Strat pickups don't either. That's how they made them.The original Strats right up to 82 had a three way switch like Telecasters, so was designed to select one at a time. It was discovered you could balance the switch in the in-between positions to get the Strat quack posis. The 5-way came out as an accessory and on Japanese guitars.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  7. 100LL

aha, Thank you! Very good to know and I appreciate you sharing that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.