My take on this Tele -- Yuck!

chris m.

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, the price is the biggest barf-in-the-mouth aspect. Charvel is owned by Fender. It is my understanding that the Charvel San Dimas 1 and 2 were, at least for some time, being built by the Fender custom shop. I picked up a Charvel San Dimas 2 (the Tele version) in black for a crazy low price-- brand new with gig bag and all case candy. I couldn't resist because it was amazing to me to be able to get something built at the CS for south of $1k. And the hands-on touches were clearly there in the setup and the way the back of the neck was carefully de-finished.

It was fun to mess with for a little while, because the neck felt exactly like an original Charvel I had in 1982 (red and white striped star body!). But I quickly realized I have no use for a Floyd Rose anymore-- I prefer vintage Strat bridges, jazzmaster bridges, Bigsby bridges for what I do these days. But the main reason I got it was to flip it down the road one of these days, so it's a closet queen now. The other thing about it is the JB in the bridge and the '59 in the neck are just too hot for my taste. Great for a heavy brown sound but not subtle or chimey enough for clean tones, IMO.

Guess my EVH wannabe days are long gone. But I did have fun cranking it through a JCM800 and reminiscing about the old days. Might have even thrown up some devil horns once or twice and head banged a few times.

Ian916

TDPRI Member
a bit of a shame to read so many anti comments on this thread, if we all liked the same what a boring world it would be.... What is great about the Telecaster is that it is such a versatile guitar and with a bit of tweaking can play every style of music.

- My sons first Tele was a Les Paul beater, - it is a FMT, - mahogany body with flame maple top, two Seymour Duncan HB’s with coil tap, it is his go-to guitar whenever he needs to play different style of music and has no time to be switching guitars. His next Tele was even wackier with a Floyd Rose bridge like this one. It is Japan made HMT, yes the bridge is a pain in the backside as it has to be setup just right and tuning is a real fiddle, - but it suits the heavy music that he at times wants to play.

So is he wrong to want to have that Tele body look? I admire his taste in wanting to mix old and new. - And he does have a more traditional Tele on his wish list as well.

Attachments

• Tele FMT and HMT.jpg
    Tele FMT and HMT.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 41

surfoverb

Doctor of Teleocity
^^ those red ones look cool. The blonde one does not. Some guitars were just not meant to be butte blonde. That thing has a bit of a personality crisis.
Im not opposed in principal to heavy metal/shredder teles, but that one just aint right.

this is how its done:

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Ok let's SLIGHTLY switch gears on this....to those that like it would you pay the $3700 price tag?

No, but there's no guitar on earth I'd spend that kind of money on.

ashstrat07

TDPRI Member
The same people who are trashing on this guitar are probably the ones who messed their pants when a kid assumed someone played country because they owned a tele. I think it looks ridiculous, but Steve Vai might like it.