My take on a Silvertone 1482 Cap Job

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by keithb7, Jan 28, 2016.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Feeling a little hopped-up tonight. Another first for me in my tube amp repair hobby. Wanted to share. I've never relocated B+ caps before on tag strips. It's not hard. Just fun.

A friend of mine found an old mid 60's Silvertone 1482 amp in a garage under a pile of crap. He gave it to me to "go over it". Lol. 100% original. I cleaned the spiders and rat droppings out of it before I could work on it. The B+ cap can was 5uF, 10uF and 20uF. I could not find a replacement so I located some tag strips and misc caps from Antique Electronic Supply. (8uF, 10uF and 22uF) a bias cap, a cathode cap, new grounded plug and a pilot lamp. With the parts all good to go, now I just need to figure out where and how, I was going to anchor the tag strips. Found as good as spot as any and got to work mounting the caps and moving everything over from the cap can. I left the original cap can in place, and left all the grounded wires still attached to it. I re-routed the necessary wires to the new caps. Replaced all the other parts and flashed it up on the bench, plugged into my Avatar 1x12 cab. Man, it sounds great and it's dead quiet. Here's photos of how I did it. I was thinking if any others home amp hacks like me need to do their old Silvertone some day, this may help you earn a case of beer. I'm sure hoping I get one.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I think that's almost exactly like I did mine years ago. Good work! Was the cab still good or deteriorated? If those particle board cabs get wet they come to pieces. Platefire

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Nicely done.

4. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I did a 1482 that way also.

I did a 1482 that way also...looks like I went with 22/10/10 for cap values.

Attached Files:

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

That looks super-pro. Very nicely done!

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Cool Robster. Did you do the 3 wire plug, and remove the death cap after the photo was taken?

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I cleaned it up tonight. Turned out pretty good. The pots date her to 1963.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

nice job!

9. andyfromdenver

is this for you? does that amp break up at all?
    what if you hotrodded the mic channel with a cathode capacitor 25/25v.

i may get board and draw the load line from the scheme to look at it :) for fun.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454073412.305333.jpg

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Not mine. It belongs to my new friend.:D
    It does break up nicely. I see the mic channel has no 68K grid stoppers. I actually think I prefer the mic channel with a guitar.

Let me know where to put that 25u/25V cap. I would try it.

11. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

That's a good way to do it. I used radial caps and stood them up, wrapped them in tape, and hot glued them to the chassis. I used the old can for a couple of tie points. It's held for a good 8 years or so.

[​IMG]

12. andyfromdenver

ok! it's the 2.2k resistor that's associated with the mic channel triode (plate, grid, cathode).
    the upper one in the photo.
    use an electrolytic 25uf/25v capacitor. if it's polarized, the positive end goes to the cathode (the top of the top 2.2k) and the negative side to ground. you can basically tack it in parallel/across the resistor.
    does that make sense?

anyway, it will probably sound great.

so those input jacks are not the switching type. aka you have to keep the volume of the unused channel all the way off to silence it.
    just fyi, as i'm sure you've experienced.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454084342.576110.jpg

13. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Very nice work.

14. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

Keith: That looks in great shape! I did not change the cord out on that one.
    I had one a couple months ago and it worked fine without new caps. it was all original. On these 1482 amps I find about half are missing the rear panel...

Andy: These have plenty of drive to them. You can jump the channels if you need more. Its a poor mans Fender Tweed. They tend to sound a little dark with the original speaker.

Rob

15. andyfromdenver

I guess so with only having the single tone control. cool!

16. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I had another Silvertone 1482 show up on my doorstep last nite. Crying for a service. This latest one was built in 1965. I looked up my old thread here from 2016 to review what I did.I scratched my head a little, got the cobwebs out and ordered parts this morning.

The baffle board is garbage on this one. The screws have been pulled right through the baffle. The non-original 12" speaker was knackered. Torn and crackling. So I'll build a new baffle and mount a WGS G12Q in there.

Wondering, how much effect should a baltic birch baffle board have versus the stock fibre board baffle? I will certainly be stronger and last. Tonally?

17. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I have had to make new baffle boards on several of these. It has to sound better, the old masonite panels tend to rattle. You do not have much clearance with modern speaker to the rear panel so be aware of that cause your new baffle will be thicker. On one I took my router to the inside of the rear panel and took out enough material for one speaker to to fit. Lots of these I find have no back so I just build a back with a cutout to allow a speaker magnet to fit. The back gives it strength too. We did the filter caps the same way it looks like.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Well I put the new baltic birch baffle in this latest Silvertone.I installed a 1964 dated C12N speaker I have here. I have not serviced the amp yet. All circuit parts inside are stock from 1965. The speaker and baffle change seemed to make a huge difference. I look forward to hearing it after it is serviced.

T-Nuts used. Was able to salvage the grill cloth but it was a little challenging as it was unraveling.

IMG-4940.JPG

IMG-4941.JPG

Whatizitman and King Fan like this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

In the spirit of "hacks dabbling in amps"....A sound demo.
    The guitar has Fender Custom '54 pickups in it. They are low gain. So I imagine this amp
    being pretty hot with humbuckers. A LP or ES-335 in here might be pretty sweet too!

jsnwhite619, D'tar, Axis29 and 2 others like this.
  20. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I dunno Keith, that thing sounds pretty righteous brother!

keithb7 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.