My sweetie with her Mustang many moons ago:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a friend with a little yellow Mustang that same color without the vinyl top. It had the straight six and an automatic. At 100 mph it whistled.

Your wife looks good in that car.

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Cool color, vinyl top, upgraded wheel covers, nice. I bet she waved her fist out the window and yelled "Yeehaaaa" with that bad little pony. Nice photo and memory for sure.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@Toto'sDad I have a wife/car pic from the same year, or thereabouts. (The date stamp was cropped off in the digital image of that picture, but the baby my wife is holding was born in July of 1974, the year and month your pic was taken/developed.) The guy on my right is my best friend, Who was visiting us while on furlough from his tour in the Navy. And behind my wife and daughter and me is my first car, the first car we shared as a married couple, a '65 Chevy.

I can't remember now for certain, but IIRC that was a Biscayne. Could have been an Impala, maybe a Bel Air. I grew up in a Chevy family, so we had all three models, albeit from different years. Personally, I have a hard time telling them apart, but I was never a car guy. To me, as I'm sure it is for you, what makes the pic is my wife and child. (Although I don't know why she was scowling in that picture. Must've been something I said.)

1974, LarryBeth, Kassy & David.jpg

5. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I had a 66 same color and top. In 74 it was so rusted that the carpet would make waves when you drove through puddles.

Toto'sDad and stormsedge like this.
  6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Same car had a rust leak along the top of the windshield. At 95 mph it would inflate the headliner and almost blind you

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in my younger days we all ignored seatbelts because we harbored an image of being "thrown clear" of the wreckage.

Later on we were treated to some horrible real life footage of what it looks like to be "thrown clear".

GAME CHANGER

nojazzhere, Mike Eskimo and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That was the trucker's view on seatbelts, they all thought you might be able to jump clear of being hit. I've seen what happens when people are thrown clear too, I'd rather take my chances in the truck. If it's bad enough to kill you strapped in while in an accident in a big rig, being thrown clear would probably just make it harder to scrape up the pieces.

nojazzhere and william tele like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Where we are rust is not really a problem, and if we had any on the car, I never knew it, might have been there and I just never discovered it.

10. Toto'sDad

If that's the test, I can assure you we didn't have rust there, because that little mustang went that fast MANY times.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you lived in California , at the right time, the right car, the right sweetie!
    congrats!

william tele likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Great pic, and I'm sure just as mine does, brings back fond memories of yesterday!

13. Toto'sDad

Thanks buddy!

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I full well know the value of seat belts. You are right if you had hit a stationary object without seat belts at 70mph, today, you wouldn't have gotten to read the thread about some guy consigning his Telecaster to the Hades of sitar music! :D I know full well the value of seatbelts from operating heavy equipment. A location let go that I was on one time in a 966F cat loader, I fell fourteen feet and landed wheels up. I was strapped in, and other than a cut on my arm where it hit the window stop, I was unhurt. NO SEATBELT, DEAD.

Censport and nojazzhere like this.
  15. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Cool picture TD. And nice reminder of a less complicated time. My first car was a '69 cougar. 53,000 miles bought from the original owner, a little old lady down the street. Four years and about 40,000 miles later, I was single, making good money and thought I needed a new car. Sold the cougar for $900. $300 less than I bought it for. Thought I did good. But I was just 20 at the time. What did I know? Sometimes I'd like to go back, other times I glad I'm as far along in this thing as I am.

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife had a 71. While in the service I picked up a 65 2+2 hurricane Betsy flood car I brought back to life complete with an Earl Schribe $99 paint job. Most of my pictures with Mustangs involve me working on the brakes or replacing clutches.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

this was my dream car , I found one the wife said no .........

of course I would have compromised and got a shelby GT500 .....I am too good to that girl!

65.jpg

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Mom's Cougar had that. Did that have reverb on the stereo ?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I worked in the hospital morgue as a senior in high school and saw first hand multiple times what usually happened in a bad accident without a seatbelt. Being knocked the same year in a friend’s 428-equipped ‘40 Ford that took on a school bus head-on also made an impression. My ‘59 Chevy back then had seatbelts put in by some previous owner and I felt naked without them in friend’s cars.

But I digress...great picture and story, TD.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  20. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

We had a '72 Vista Cruiser wagon.
    Many many memories including the one time I almost drove it into a ditch while chasing a couple of our cows down the road after they got out of their pens. (Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.) Another time the Rocket 350 blew a radiator hose, pumping the coolant out so fast the temp gauge didn't know the engine was toast until it was too late. I still remember the smell of that charred motor oil. We went to a junk yard soon after and got an exact replacement that Dad dropped in, no problem.

To stay on topic: I'm a Ford guy and love seeing the vintage photos and stories. Thanks so much. If you ever find yourself near Boulder, CO you must go to the Shelby American Museum: https://shelbyamericancollection.org/

Stubee, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.