My sweetie with her Mustang many moons ago:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the early 70's I found a really clean little 68 Mustang for sale from a private individual with only 39,000 miles on it, kept garaged the whole nine yards. It was a cool little car so I bought it for my wife, and I think it was her favorite automobile ever even though I've bought her several new cars along the way. We kept it until 1979, when for some reason we sold it, it gets a little cloudy as to the reason why, but it has resolved into being my fault, and I'm good with that.

Second son had designs on it too, as his first car, so the wife isn't the only one who was affected by the sale. I maintain that we sold it when we bought a new home with a pool, and that we needed the money, but I'm not sure I can prove that. (I have no corroborating witnesses) At any rate I stumbled across the pic, and it made my heart lift just seeing her and her little car. Those were really good days for me, and for all of my family.

Lola's Mustang.jpg

2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Unleaded gas? That's why I sold mine

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought we were gonna see Toto playing a Duo Sonic...

4. Toto'sDad

I don't know why we sold it at this point, that car has been the topic of many discussions. None of them have been in my favor!

Tonetele, nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Now I really wish I had a pic of that!

6. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I owned a couple of cool cars when I was young and stupid ('67 Mustang, '68 Mustang, Datsun 280ZX). Too bad there's no photographs. My nephews would probably go nuts if I showed them some of what I used to drive.

Greggorios, tubedood and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'd have to join @BigDaddyLH marriage issues thread if I posted the photo I have of my wife with our Mustang GT. The context is she's very private and wearing a bikini in that photo.

I still have a soft spot for Mustangs. I've posted here about all the Mustangs family friends who were managers at the local Ford franchise had them from the original into the 1970s including their son having a yellow Boss 302 when he returned from Vietnam. I think Ford has done the best job among the FiatChrysler, GM and Ford modern retro look cars but wish they didn't use the Mustang name on their upcoming BEV.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

A fine picture. Car, family, memories.

Kelleycaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

There's something you can't see in the pic, and unless you lived through that era will never know. There was a freedom from things that encumber our lives today, that can never be embraced again. There is no way to go back, but it was truly a different world. One I miss in the most profound way. It's not just old man hollering at clouds speak, you simply can't imagine how much of our lives has been encroached upon by many of the marvelous contraptions we all take for granted today.

10. Toto'sDad

If only we could get enough rewards points to go back there!

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My Mom had a 67 Cougar, 289. Nice little car but no power steering or brakes. Eventually it just got to be too much for her

telepicker52 and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yellow looks really good on your sweetie! I didn't develop a hankerin' for Mustangs till the fastbacks came out...and Shelby's...really loved those things!

Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir! She sure enough looked good in that little car of hers. If you haven't seen Ford vs. Ferrari you might enjoy the gist of the story about Ford and racing, and the whole Shelby thing.

william tele likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Ours had power steering, and power brakes, and an AC. The Mustangs had notoriously small radiators though, and I put a hot rod radiator in the car that allowed you to leave the car running with the AC on with no danger of it heating up.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i guess it wasnt that bad of a decision to sell the car if youre still with your wife

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are you referring to seatbelts?....or just "philosophical" freedoms of that time?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Philosophical freedoms, the car had seatbelts. It's funny, I never had an aversion to seat belts. I even used one in a diesel truck when most thought it was stupid to do so.

william tele and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

She parlayed that old Mustang into several new cars. I think sometimes she doth protest too much! I'm glad I still have her, she's my sweetie!

stevemc likes this.
  19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nice. In 76 my Mom bought a 68 very much like that but dark blue with the black vinyl top. She sold it while I was in high school overseas which made me mad. I had hoped to have it once I got back stateside. I remember it had a cool little sliding stash door just forward of the shift lever that most apparently didn't have. Seen here in this pic.

ford_mustang_interiors_1-3.jpg

Toto'sDad, lewis and stormsedge like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Early on in life, before seatbelts became mandatory , or even offered in cars, I was in a couple of serious car accidents, both with and without seatbelts. One in particular was with my band on our way to a gig. One guy's mother's Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon.....BIG honkin' car, about the size of an aircraft carrier. Little two lane highway, 70 MPH, and come up over a rise, and there's a farm pickup stopped dead in middle of road. It couldn't be avoided. SMASH!. We were all wearing seatbelts, only lapbelts at the time, but I KNOW one or two of us would have been seriously injured or killed without them. Totaled the car. Ever since then, I always wore seatbelts.....even installed them in a couple of VW Beetles that didn't have belts. You won't believe how many people laughed at me for doing that.....but I'm still here. (and some of them aren't)

stevemc, Censport, Hiker and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.