My Super Reverb...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by flinx, Sep 28, 2020.

1. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

I have had and still own many amps.... but i am off work today and decided last night to dolly ( i am older) my SRRI into my living room. My wife knows squat about amps but i was noodling through some jazzy blues stuff today and she heard it and said...wow...that amp is beautiful....It really is...such clean head room, reverb and juicy tremelo....I've had it a while but honestly never really played it much....I think i will keep it....The reason for this post is because i have SOLD so much gear in the last year...I think this will stay over all the rest. I have some right hand issues and don't play as much as i did...but this thing is so soothing.

JL_LI, GFrank, Arfage and 17 others like this.
  2. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Heck yeah! High horsepower Fender amps sound great at living room volumes, despite what the internet parrots might say. I play a Twin Reverb in my living room.

GFrank, dodona, moosie and 5 others like this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good for you. The last time i carried my SR down from the second floor was the LAST time. Took it to get repaired and sold it from that shop. Beautiful amp but too much for me at this point.

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I my experience, my SR is the amp most likely to get a drummer to say "man, that amp sounds good" lol.

keng, dang, Treehouse and 2 others like this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i for one really hope fender makes a tonemaster SR.

richiek65, timbgtr, unixfish and 6 others like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

An SFTR set with volume on 1 or 1 1/2 is a room-filling, beautiful experience.

richiek65, moosie, flinx and 3 others like this.
  7. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Big Super Reverb fan.

Yep, at ANY volume a SR sounds wonderful!

Enjoy it!!

Gunny, jude77, dang and 2 others like this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Super Reverbs are great amps. Super Reverb.JPG

jude77, dang, Treehouse and 7 others like this.
  9. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Mine is a keeper for life.

dang, miotch and flinx like this.
  10. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I’ve owned mine off and on for 20 out of the last 27.5 years. It was originally a SF w/ MV. When I bought it back 16 years ago, it was dead in every conceivable way. It looked like it had been dragged behind a truck and put out maybe one watt. I had it converted to as close to BF as possible w/ new speakers, new caps, new cosmetics, and NOS tubes.

It’s been my main amp and has been used on Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard albums. Too much sentimental value to sell anytime soon.

Yuro, flinx and thunderbyrd like this.
  11. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Oh yeah! Mine is my main amp. It's a second hand 2018 SRRI. I almost love it more than my tele. I have two other big heavy amps but that one is the one I always come back to. With the right pedals and/or volume I'm pretty sure you can play any size gig with'em. With just an overdrive and a phaser, possibly a delay of some kind pared with the in-amp reverb you can get anything from Brad Paisley to Waylon, and ZZ Top to Roy Orbison from those things. The only thing I would do if I ever played a really big show would be to make sure I set the controls instead of my bands sound guy...sounds better when I do it. Lol

It's really the only amp I've ever played in my comparatively few years that simply just does it. To many of the ones that I tried in my search for the right model sounded harsh and overworked if that makes sense. The relaxed bubbly tones of going straight into a super just can't be beat in my opinion. It's like the perfect canvas for any picture you might be wanting to paint.

If that sounds overly-praised I'm sorry but it's true for me. I'll take the super over a Vox or any equivalent any day...aside from maybe a '76 Fender Super Six.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Any amp with a 4x10 speaker contingency is a great start...it’s a glorious sound!

Maguchi and Tele-beeb like this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

Someday if I ever get out of college and college debt I'm gonna buy me another SRRI to run as a parallel/backup for when we play the bigger shows. Then I'mma gonna buy me a pair of originals and only use them at home.

Seems like a worthwhile goal.

dang likes this.
  14. GuitarsBuicks

I would like to try a super six sometime. Just for the heck of it. Unless it was a reasonable price...Then I would buy it.

6x10s will only make it better right? More is always better. At least when it gets turned up to 6 or 11 it will be noticed. Lol

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I only play my 1971 SFSR in my mancave, but there is nothing like the full sound and feel of the 4x10s to put a smile on my face.
    Common sense tells me its too big to be practical, but fortunately, at this stage in my life,
    I know when (and can afford to) to ignore practicality in favor of satisfaction.

I guess I'm partial to the bigger amps...
    Did I mention I also have a Marshall 50 watt Vintage Modern 2266 with the accompanying 4x12 half stack...BOTH in purple tolex? :D

16. GuitarsBuicks

Just curious what is that white guitar? Looks like a strat but I'm just curious.

17. GuitarsBuicks

Just curious, will a tone master sound nearly as honest and full as the tube version? I've never played a tone master so I have no clue. Although I can say that I am no fan of straight solid state amps. I have a vintage Peavey that is a hybrid but I don't like my brothers custom as much as I like either the Hybrid or my Super.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  18. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i just dollied (is that a word?) my 67 pro reverb and 67 super reverb from the garage storage to run them thru their paces. both sound amazing especially with 2x12 vs 4x10 speakers. unfortunately i have others to go thru so they are back in the garage--for now!

play music!

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They don't make a Super Reverb Tonemaster, so the question is unanswerable.

20. GuitarsBuicks

I know. It's a hypothetical. But they do make other models and I don't know how they stack up against their tubed cousins.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.