1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

my story/playing discussions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jdolecek48, Jul 27, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

I'm running into some trouble trying to gt better at guitar.It is a long story but i feel like i need to start at the beginning. ...I have been playing guitar for 30 years. but I have been playing in drop D for those 30 years because playing chords is so difficult for me but let me expand on that...I was hit by a car at the age of 3 and i was in a coma for45 days which gave me a scare on the frontal lobe of my brain which caused brain brain, as well as limited learning disabilities but what really limited my eye hand coordination. I overcame a lot of it of course it was difficult growing up so there is a some learning disabilities so things come a bit slower to me but the real hard time is eye hand coordination but anyway lets fast forward here....
    I can play power chords but not sure if i can play anything beyond power chords and bar chords... I could but it would take me longer but anyway that is why i always stuck to drop tuning so now I'm trying to advance my learning and playing. I have always known the basis of penatonic minor scales...I was writing so decent/cool riffs but then i dove deeper into the penatonic minor scales which caused me more confusion and major writers block, now let me be clear...i'm normal, you cannot tell i was hit by a car things just come a little slower for me....i don't want to play other peoples music i want to with my own tunes......
    I'm not a beginner but i'm not advanced either. I have tried to watch youtube videos but i cannot find something thats in between for me, i just cant find something that would fit where iam as a player....i cant afford lessons or anything so with all that said i thought i would post here and ask you guy if you had any suggestions on what i can do, or where i could go to learn what i'm looking for and ask if you guys could tell me what i need to learn in order to learn what i'm looking for...all i want is to be able to jam out and play some cool rock/metal riffs so what suggestions do you have for me? can you provide me some guitarr playing guidance please?

2. jc77

jc77 TDPRI Member

Using a loop pedal can really open up your practicing.

It's a bit of an investment -- in the $100+ range -- but then you can lay down a riff or a drone, or pluck through the notes of a chord, and then really take your time to see what notes sound good (or weird or cool) over the top of that.

(I bet you could find a free or cheap app for looping, too -- & with 1/8" adapter you could run your phone or tablet into an amp...)

Or -- to work with your drop D tuning -- you could keep a drone going on the low D while improvising with pentatonics. Try using the same pentatonic shapes in different positions, to get a different scale in relation to the drone. Playing in C# minor (= E major) pentatonic over a D drone sounds fantastic.

I'd also suggest trying to sing along with what you play -- I don't mean like singing a melody while playing chords, but singing along with the notes you're playing, trying to match the pitch. Even if you're just improvising with two or three notes.

Good luck and happy playing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.