My stepson wants a distortion pedal ?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by KingFool1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

classic

2. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

$50?????? I paid 160 CAD for mine!!! Arggghh.
    Great pedal, but better at $50 vs $160

3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

tell him to get a haircut and a job ;)

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

idk.. I was buying my own gear when I had a paper route @12 yo..

5. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

You guys never received a gift when you were young adults? I'm sure there's a Bad Dog thread for support around that.

For the OP, I'd say ZVEX Box of Rock, which can do many Marshally things and has a nice clean boost too. I have a zillion dirt pedals and it's always what I go to for rock distortion sounds. However, I suspect many 21 y/o's are looking for more higher gain sounds, in which case Telefunken's Metal Zone advice or similar is probably better. Find out what he listens too most of the time and I bet you'll hear what those tones in his head sound like.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Rat/Ds-1

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I 2nd this suggestion. Plus you can keep him from buying a pedal that sounds like A**. Your sanity is at stake here as well, being the purist you obviously are. Check the used section of guitar center, pawn shops. Lots of worthy used boss pedals can be had cheap.

8. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

+1

9. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Look no further than the MI Audio Crunch box. It is an awesome distortion pedal and has a tight bottom end... not like a fuzz at all. You can get them at a relatively good price as well.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine and I play hard rock.

I keep the gain at around 12 o'clock, there is plenty on tap!!!

A

10. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I agree too! Sounds like a fun day for all!

11. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

What kind of music does he listen to? A lot of people here seem to be jumping on the high gain wagon, but being in my early 20s as well, I know that not all of us are into hard rock. I mostly use low-mid gain stuff.

You'll see me say this a bit here, but a Barber Gain Changer will cover a heck of a lot of ground. From super low gain, like an RC Booster (I got them to sound identical), to some very high gain but not quite metal tones. It is probably the most adaptable single pedal I've come across. If he wants a more Marshall-oriented sound, a Compact Direct Drive will do just as much as the GC but with a British accent. Both can be had used for around $100, or $130 brand new.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'll third (or fourth or fifth) the RAT2 suggestion. Very, very versatile from very light OD to heavy OD to distortion to FUZZ!. Very sensitive controls with lots of great sounds in them. Filter (tone) works opposite of most amp/pedal knobs (CW = LESS treble) which trips some up. But setting Distortion at 9 o'clock, Filter at 3 o'clock and Level at 3 o'clock is in the ballpark as a starting point. Just remember to turn the Filter CCW as the Distortion is turned CW, to regain highs. It's a brilliant pedal. And it is big, black and says RAT so I'd suspect it's still cool with the 20somethigns. You can probably get it on sale for ~$70.

Edit - Sweetwater is listing the now for $69. Great value.

13. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

TS9 always did it for me.
    Or $100.00 and a trip to the local electronic store.
    Or a bicycle and a paper route...

14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ What he said. :!:

15. KingFool1

KingFool1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, some very good suggestions and I'll do some more research.

16. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Father-san is very wise. [bows respectfully]

17. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

if he's 21 going on 16, get him a dano fab distortion. pretty good for $15 new.

18. Funkysmell

Funkysmell TDPRI Member

Is he just getting into guitar? I ask because if he's just getting around to wanting to try out distortion there's a good chance he'll want to fool around with some other effects too. I've played though some nice multi fx units that don't cost much more than most stomp boxes by themselves. I guess it all depends on what he wants to sound like though, if he's just on a distortion kick keep it simple and go for that.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Or set down with him, go to this website and pick him out a couple.... Super cheap you can probably get him a couple for that $100-120.
    I picked up a Caline Crazy Cacti, a nice Fulldrive 2 clone. Surprisingly good pedal for the $$$.
    http://www.donnerdeal.com/bundle-one-caline-and-one-nux-effect-pedal.html

If he's into metal look at Biyang metal end. That plus Caline Blue Sky OD (Timmy clone).

Takes a while to get here but I got the CC when it was a $48 sale. Totally worth the $50.

20. rphunt2002

rphunt2002 Tele-Holic

I am a little confused why you have to get a distortion pedal so he can get those sounds. But that's none of my business.

But beyond that, yeah there are some basic recommendations, but really he should be going on the web and researching. You Tube is full of demos. It's hard to say if he wants dirt, crunch, buzz, splatter, liquid or what.

Pro Guitar Shop Channel

Prymaxe Vintage Channel

If I was looking for advice on a pedal I would ask something like "what can get me close to a [Metallica/Nirvana/SRV/Fripp/Jimi/etc.] sound?"

Luckily, EHX recently released a whole new collection of distortion pedals worth checking out that are in that price range. You might want to investigate those.

The music store should be one of the last steps in the process, as their stock isn't going to be great and trying lots of stuff for $100 may not be "encouraged". But it is a good idea to go in knowing what you want to try if they have it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.