1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My sound transformed with change of string gauge.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Scotland, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Changed up to a set of 11's tonight and it has completely changed my sound and feel. I can now get "that" sound I have been after forever.
    I can't believe such a small thing as this has such a huge impact. It's not that much more difficult to bend either, all my guitars will be changed to 11's very soon.
    I have to say that this has been the biggest sound (and feel) change I have ever encountered. I wish I had done it years and years ago.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Welcome to the Club !

3. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Been there, got the tee-shirt etc.

Nearly all my Teles have been changed over to 11's. I always thought that 11's would be far too heavy, until my Tech told me that I needed heavier guage (11's) strings on my short scale Gibson & Epiphones to suit my playing style. When I came to play them, I found that I could barely tell the difference between 11's and 10's.

I'm told that your fingers just get stronger, so bends become easier.

Just try going back to something like 9's - you'll shoot the strings straight over the edge of the fingerboard!....:lol:

4. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

Yes indeed..i couldn't have said it better myself.

Question: Have you ever gigged with 11's?

5. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Changing to a different brand or type of string is as dramatic as a pickup or amp swap IMO.

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've recently gone up to 10s and now 9s or even 9.5s feel wrong. Perhaps I'll try 11s.

7. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen the light

I've gone from 10s to 9s and I love my tonal improvement. :D

8. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

I only changed to 11's so that my guitar would be set up for slide, I just couldn't believe the difference.
    I also find that the bending difference between 10's and 11's is minimal.
    The whole guitar is livelier and just feels "right".
    Great to be part of "The Club"

9. ajmikula

ajmikula TDPRI Member

I've been playing 10s for the past...two years or so, and in a panic I had to put on a set of 8s that my brother had laying around (he got them free - he plays 12s). *that* was a big change. I can't pick softly enough to avoid buzz...though I didn't raise the saddles; I'm not planning on switching permanently. I did tweak the truss rod - it's playable, but not without consciously telling myself "pick softly".

In conclusion: the bigger, the better! There's no way I go higher than 11, though.

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

+1

The bigger the better.

I've got a wide range of gauges based on the guitar/pickup and it's "use".

I even have one lone guitar with little old .09s - a Jackson V for that insane speed metal. Hey, you never know when you'll need something for a given track.

At least .011s on my Gibson scaled instruments, and at least .010s on my Teles.

The pickup has more to "see", the added neck tension lends itself to better intonation and tuning, and resists tuning issues/inconsistancies easier.

Tone and intonation.

11. dagenhamjim

dagenhamjim Tele-Meister

I use 11's when I can get em, but here in the Uk unless you go to a big music store the smaller stores only stock 10,s or 12's.
    One Spotty shop assistant tried to tell me that "there is no such thing mate", would have hated his advice if i was buying my first Guitar lol!

12. waddeem

waddeem TDPRI Member

It sounds like you may play blues, and honestly I applaud you for going in this direction! I shifted from tens to elevens about four years ago, only because I was breaking strings, then shortly there after I realized the tonal difference. Over this last year I shifted to 12's with an unwound third, and even in a 3 hour gig they still feel like 11's to me. I must say to my ear the tone is amazing! Once again, I think you've done the right thing and good luck in your search for YOUR sound.

13. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Interesting.

I've just tried 9s in stainless steel instead of my usual 9s in nickel. Not much differene to my ear, so I'll go back to nickel.

From what people are posting, I might go up a gauge or two though.

14. Santah

Santah Tele-Meister

I just switched to using 11s around a month ago after being a long time 10s man. I like the 11s better, they sound and feel better for my tastes and it took barely any time to build my finger strength up.

15. Hank Radius

Hank Radius TDPRI Member

My fingers have gone weak.

I have changed from 11´s to 10´s or even 9´s sometimes. The 11´s did demand much strengt from my fingers. Nowadays I prefer softer strings. 11´s have lots of tone and volume but I think 10´s or 9´s have more dynamic, more colourfull sound, and are nicer to my fingers.

16. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Same here-- both of my tele's w/ 10's needed a string change and all I had was half a box of GHS Boomer 9-42's, so I slapped those on one of them. Got way more twang, great feel and for some reason, it actually improved my clean tone! So I put 9's on the other guitar immediately, and it had the same result!

Never woulda thought that going down a gauge would help the tone, but it sure did for me!

17. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

A set of 12's to 52's on a Strat sound Sooo Sweet, but tuned down a Half step sound like GOD!!
    But it will be like playing on a Cheese cutter and it will hurt!!

18. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Did it years ago myself. IMHO, life starts at 11. Guitars become much more the living thing they were meant to be. With 9's I always felt like I was holding a block of wood with vibrating strings. With my current 12s, I feel like I'm holding six live wires.

There is nothing below 11 for me.

19. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

I have been thinking about going up from 10´s to 11´s for some weeks now. I changed to 11´s om my Stratocaster first to see if it would still be playable and I can agree that the tone improved dramatically! It is not easier to play but it feels more stable now. You have to work a little and I like the guitar when it feels a bit more.... al dente! ;)

I will take my TELECASTER to work on monday (I work in a musicstore) and let our guitartech put D'Addario .011 - .049 on my Tele as well and do a good setup. I have larger frets on the TELECASTER so I guess it will be smoother than the Strat but with better tone. I can´t wait to get it!!!

20. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

I just can't do the 12's any more, It sounds fantastic but my finger joints don't hold up as long these days!!
    I use Thomastik-Infeld 10 to 46, Last a long time fat tone and easyer on my hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.