My sons wife left him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGeo

TDPRI Member
I feel sorry for you my friend.
Unfortunately, a lesson to be learned. Years ago, people stayed married for, sometimes their lives together.
Times have changed. I was married for:
12 1/2, 6 1/2, and 19 years.
They all left me, and took 1/2 of what I had worked so hard for.
You are lucky, as in you didn’t accumulate that much wealth.
You can recover easily.
Divorce rates: 70% women, 30% men.
I’ll never make that mistake again.
Take care.
Sorry, I didn’t read that this was your son. My bad.
Still show him this. It’s unfortunate what our society has become, but we have to take care of ourselves first.
I know that we have stars in our eyes when we meet this pretty girl, and want to do the right thing.
That’s normal.
What if he had a child with her?
He would be paying 18 years plus.
Maybe it was a blessing.
In my opinion. He got off lucky.
Just one more thing. I know it’s none of my business, but as I’ve been there, I feel compelled to add this.
He is still young. Why doesn’t he contact a nice girl from the Philippines?
Not from Manila, but from one of the provinces.
They are brought up to love and take care of their husbands and their family by their parents.

It’s a different culture there. Like the 1950’s here. Wholesome girls that only want to have children, and a happy family.
You need to treat them well. You will get rewards that you never possible.

Last edited:

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
If that happened to me, in that way, I'd make the divorce process as difficult, expensive, and painful for her as possible.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
If that happened to me, in that way, I'd make the divorce process as difficult, expensive, and painful for her as possible.

Have you ever gone through a divorce? That's not how it works in real life. If it is difficult, expensive and painful for her it's going to be difficult, expensive and painful for you. Divorce is not a zero sum game.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
Have you ever gone through a divorce? That's not how it works in real life. If it is difficult, expensive and painful for her it's going to be difficult, expensive and painful for you. Divorce is not a zero sum game.
I have not. Is it more painful than straight-up abandonment?

Harbinger77

Tele-Holic
I was married once in my 20s. Only reason I did it was a pesky national border between me and my then-girlfriend. I chose to end it.

If there’s no kids or significant assets it not really a marriage but being divorced is a but of a scarlet letter to some people.

AlbertaGriff

Friend of Leo's
It's rare that there is a breakup where it isn't for the best, in the end.

I had a long relationship end, leaving me feeling pretty worthless.

A couple of months after, I realized I was actually happier as an individual without that person in my life.

About 6 months later I met the love of my life, married 7 years now.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I feel sorry for you my friend.
Unfortunately, a lesson to be learned. Years ago, people stayed married for, sometimes their lives together.
Times have changed. I was married for:
12 1/2, 6 1/2, and 19 years.
They all left me, and took 1/2 of what I had worked so hard for.
You are lucky, as in you didn’t accumulate that much wealth.
You can recover easily.
Divorce rates: 70% women, 30% men.
I’ll never make that mistake again.
Take care.
Sorry, I didn’t read that this was your son. My bad.
Still show him this. It’s unfortunate what our society has become, but we have to take care of ourselves first.
I know that we have stars in our eyes when we meet this pretty girl, and want to do the right thing.
That’s normal.
What if he had a child with her?
He would be paying 18 years plus.
Maybe it was a blessing.
In my opinion. He got off lucky.
Just one more thing. I know it’s none of my business, but as I’ve been there, I feel compelled to add this.
He is still young. Why doesn’t he contact a nice girl from the Philippines?
Not from Manila, but from one of the provinces.
They are brought up to love and take care of their husbands and their family by their parents.

It’s a different culture there. Like the 1950’s here. Wholesome girls that only want to have children, and a happy family.
You need to treat them well. You will get rewards that you never possible.
With all due respect, (seriously) marrying a woman from a "kowtowing" culture is no answer. Speaking only for myself, of course, I would never want a woman who groveled or "submitted" to me like I'm a "master". I've known two men who basically did that, and I was offended at the way their wives acted. One of the men actually bragged about how he got home one evening, and his wife was down on her knees, hand scrubbing the kitchen floor, after having put in a full day of work at her own job, and jumped up only to serve him his dinner, and then resumed her housework. Many of us want a partner.....not a servant. Plus, many of the lovely women in those countries are just looking for a pathway to getting their families into the U.S......and then they eventually get divorced as well. Sorry not to have the "answer". ;)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Marriage is a rodeo. You either draw a good animal or you don't. If you get bucked off, spit out some teeth and you'll know better next time around.

He's young. He has you for support. After a mandatory waiting period he'll meet somebody so fantastic she'll make him forget all about old What's-Her-Name. Count on it.

Pray for him and call him a couple times a week for a while, then when he's healing up, back off to every two weeks. He might be back in the saddle before you know it!

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
My first wife walked out at 3 years after I'd put her thru Grad school and paid for it.
Three years later, I married my current wife (married 30+ years now) and I adopted her three children.
We now have 12 grandkids and I wouldn't trade my life with her and the last 30 + years for anything.
He will look back and know he dodged the bullet....he will be fine.

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
Risky to marry young.
One is still growing up and they are developing while entering adult life. Hormones what not. So the risk of growing apart between two young couples is always present and it happens often.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to hear he's going through tough times. I wish him the best. I don't know of any recent stories of childhood sweethearts making it. Luckily, he's young and they don't have kids. My life had barely started at that age, he's got a clean slate and lot to look forward to.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I don't know anyone, including myself, that in the long run didn't think they were better off after a divorce. Most people are wearing blinders and after the emotions cool and there is time and space for introspection, they realize it was a good thing. But boy it can suck when you're going through it.

post of the day.

NeoGeo

TDPRI Member
With all due respect, (seriously) marrying a woman from a "kowtowing" culture is no answer. Speaking only for myself, of course, I would never want a woman who groveled or "submitted" to me like I'm a "master". I've known two men who basically did that, and I was offended at the way their wives acted. One of the men actually bragged about how he got home one evening, and his wife was down on her knees, hand scrubbing the kitchen floor, after having put in a full day of work at her own job, and jumped up only to serve him his dinner, and then resumed her housework. Many of us want a partner.....not a servant. Plus, many of the lovely women in those countries are just looking for a pathway to getting their families into the U.S......and then they eventually get divorced as well. Sorry not to have the "answer". ;)
That is very unusual, and that man should be in jail.
It seems like you aren’t familiar with their culture, as I’ve been there 5 times, and was married to a Filipina for 19 years.
Please don’t post things that you aren’t familiar with. I am. So much so.
I’m not going to argue with you, or respond to you anymore.
Let the man make his own decisions. I’m just giving a suggestion.
I’ve spent much time in the Philippines. Have you?
Oh, don’t answer, as I won’t respond.
Take care.
The man will have a 2 year plus journey ahead if him. He is young still.
The men who have Filipina wives belong to a special class of people.
They will have all the love and compassion that they never knew.
Let him decide, or he can marry another American girl that will do the same thing to him.
I’m just giving him options.
Good bye. No hard feelings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.