My son wants me to build him a guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freeman Keller, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]How about one of these in double neck?

Barncaster, Deeve and Jim_in_PA like this.
  2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's nearly one of my Hollowcasters! :eek:

DC Under the tree.1.jpg

3. Hallo Spencer

Hallo Spencer TDPRI Member

What about two single guitars that you can attach to each other in a clever way? He could then decide if he wants something practical or release the inner poser depending on his mood.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think Crimson in the UK did something like that a few years ago if I recall clearly...should be video(s) on YouTube.

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Ah, thanks for all the suggestions guys, but you seem to miss the point that he asked for a specific guitar. If I build this (and I will), it will be what he wants.

6. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

Terrible cell phone photo of Melissa Etheridge tearing up a double neck a few years back at a show my girl friend took me to in Austin, not exactly a manly man so it can be done...

Attached Files:

7. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I'm going to derail your thread just a bit longer (sorry). THIS is the way I could see a double neck used -- pure cool factor alone.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Not sure how that'd go on your beast but... could be cool too in a church setting? :lol:

It's awfully nice of you to consider building something like this for your son, given the obvious impracticalities. Hopefully you can talk him into a few fewer switches!

Arch Stanton likes this.
  8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

12/10 dad points - keeping in mind what was requested; not what we know better . . .

9. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

If he takes that to church he might get excommunicated.

10. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

Always kind of wanted a double neck, but I must admit they are impractical. Even Jimmy bought one for only one song. You're a cool dad to do that for your grownup son. Just don't forget to get him some spandex pants and a case of hairspray!

matmosphere likes this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I think he's pranking you. But either way I'd do it if my kid wanted to spend time with me while I did it. My kids wanted me to fix their gaming PCs but I would only do it if they did it with me. 1 of them ended up going into IT and is very successful.

fenderchamp and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Found some wood that is wide enough

1213191530a.jpg

Modified a set of plans that might even work

1213191533.jpg

Gonna wrap this up and put it under the tree for him with a note to return to Santa's workshop

1213191530b.jpg

Zepfan, photondev, RogerC and 7 others like this.
  13. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is one of the more interesting threads that has opened up in here ever, both from a over the top, super challenging building angle, but also from a family dynamic... what the heck is really going on here anyhow standpoint.

We have Feeman Keller, a very skilled, and very much non-mercenary, non-commercial builder who is very generous with his experience being asked for a audacious.. borderline ridiculous build request from his very son. I would be thinking that the pinnacle of his (freeman kellers) potential, would be an acoustic guitar that would play and sound so good, that it would bring an audience to tears...not a impractical, garish 17lb dimarzio sd/grover imperial loaded probaby implayable monstrosity (perhaps I am being harsh, but i bet most folks around here would be hard pressed to disagree)

I for one am wondering, what is his son really getting at here, lots of inlays and fancy wood?? What is his son really wanting here?

/me shakes his head, but ultimately just respects the craftsmanship.

I suspect he really just wants people too understand the level of building chops that the old man really has! who ;REALLY; can rox that axe MAB? ... how old is your boy... i hope and wager... this is really bout honoring and challenging you and not about what 'getting what he wants'...

all ascetic values about what I or anybody else thinks is the ultimate great guitar aside....

that is to say... MAB might not be my favorite guitarist...but he would be suited to a dbl=neck BCR-Bich dinosaur from the 80s full on shred machine, not that i am delusional enough to think I am...

???

A sweet double neck Bich.... might be somebody's idea of the ultimate guitar, and ultimate craftsmanship...?

speed kills in the praise band... I bet not.

I look forward to the thread, and I hope ur boy posts some videos. At the very least I hope he puts 10x the hours in the woodshed than you do in the workshop!! anything less would be disrespectful. this is defs ab0ut building a lamborghini and driving it flat out on the autobahn...

On the other hand... it will be a multi generational prized family heirloom I would hope...??

/me loves his boys too but....

what kind of a player is your boy.

I would love to hear what he has to say in this thread....

I hope he just hasn't been overexposed to too many hyped up "PRS" private stock fanciness guitars and mistaken that... whole thing... for what a great guitar is, and wants to throw you into that morass.

this probably says more about my own prejudices about guitars, which are deep ruts in narrow roads indeed, than anything else...

still I am intrigued

the heart wants, what the heart wants

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    crazydave911 likes this.
  14. lancashiremick

lancashiremick TDPRI Member

Freeman, the image of your lad in church, first gently strumming his 12 string in a tasteful worship song. And then the sparkly backdrop comes down to reveal a wall of marshalls and he drops to his knees shredding wildly whilst pulling the "guitar solo ecstasy" face whilst the rest of the band and the priest and congregation look on open mouthed....
    Of course he needs two helpers to get back to his feet again afterwards due to the massive weight of this monster.
    Conclusion?You must build this!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Barncaster and crazydave911 like this.
  16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zepfan and lancashiremick like this.
  17. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

It's a beautiful thing that your son wants you to build him a guitar, whatever it is.
    I gave my teenaged son one of my partscaster builds: he makes noises on it to use in Ableton Live)))

lancashiremick likes this.
  18. Freeman Keller

Fenderchamp, I'm still rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. You are right, there is a lot going on here. I have already built him (at his request) a classical acoustic guitar ('37 Hauser clone) and one of my barnwood barn casters (with the proceeds going to charity). I helped him with his attempt to assemble an electric guitar that also had enough of an acoustic sound so that he didn't have to bring one to church and decided that it really didn't work that well.

Before we commit to cutting up that lovely (and fairly expensive) piece of wood, a friend has offered to loan me one of his double necks which I will take to Portland with me over Christmas and let my son play. That way he can decide if he really wants one of these beasts and get a general idea if we are headed the right direction with the BC Rich design.

There are a lot of things I don't care for in the Rich guitar - but I will build what he wants. So yes, everything you say is a real possibility. That makes it even more fun

fenderchamp likes this.
  19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ya know freeman, there are substantial airline upcharges for suitcases over 50lbs... Just sayin...

LeftFinger likes this.
  20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

It's funny the only thing that really bothers me about that guitar is the headless string tuner angle through the 12 string bridge:confused:

Barncaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.