My son wants me to build him a guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freeman Keller, Dec 1, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Do you...build guitars?

2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Tell him you'll build an exact replica if he can find a case for it.

Skydog1010, Deeve, scottser and 5 others like this.
  3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

First off. Are you sure your kid wasn’t just pulling your leg?

second, have you considered addressing some of the issues you raised about the guitar, maybe tone it down a little?

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, I’m averting. Believe me, I’m averting.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I bet most people on here who say they are ugly probably thought they were pretty cool in the late 70s-early 80s when they were new

Personally I think the mockingbird and eagle are neat designs

I can’t wait to see it built

MickM likes this.
  6. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

First, I'm wondering whether he'll tire of it before he works out what all the knobs and switches do. You may need to download a user manual.
    Then, will he be able to resell for more than the cost of parts?

General consensus here is - ugly. But then, this is a Telecaster forum. Certainly a 'challenging' build.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I don’t want one but I think it looks good.

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Wow ! If you can built such a guitar...

[​IMG]

Congratulations ! :cool::cool::cool:

-tbln

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Freeman,
    I get the idea of a gigging guitarist desiring one guitar to do everything, but that thing is just not practical, especially from weight and case perspectives. I think a Tele with a tapped PAF in the neck position and a pedal for emulating 12 string tones would nail it for a P&W band. Time for tough love. My $.02.
    Rob

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

look up the tim sway youtube channel as he built a double neck guitar where one side unlatches the bass side to convert to regular six string.

Maybe go with some compromise: headless six string with the heel tuner bank (I built a Tele like that for the 2015 challenge build).

The twelve string is unlikely to get played much, so put that on the bottom, and detatch like the Sway build.

Someone on my local CL had a Chibson SG double neck up for a few hours. You might see what double neck you can buy cheap and then mod with a few part.

Or, buy a pair of BC Rich '00s Bronze Series six string guitars off CL, slice both to glue into one body, then custom wire mods. You might spend $100 on the pair. Maybe less if you use a WTB 'don't care about condition' post where you sand down the tops to bare wood to refinish, leaving the sides and backs black factory finish. The necks on most of those are actually pretty nice.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Hallo Spencer

Hallo Spencer TDPRI Member

If you do it, you should go all in and build it out of neon green acrylic:

[​IMG]

:cool:

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

If that's the guitar he wants, you failed as a parent! :p

But more seriously, the main thing that bugs me is the break angle of the strings at the body. Ironically, I'd make that side (where the body tuners are) even pointier to have the strings more straight on the bridge.

Skydog1010 and Barncaster like this.
  13. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

maybe he just wants to keep you busy for a while. I would suspect a conspiracy afoot..

Barncaster and Seasicksailor like this.
  14. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Hahah! Or even worse... he is planning it as a Christmas present for the OP! :confused:

Barncaster and crazydave911 like this.
  15. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm kind of a fan of alternative wiring schemes... but I can't wrap my head around a double neck. How often do you need a 12 string and a 6 string in the same song? Surely someone makes a pedal that will give you that if you desperately need it.

Also, re alternative wiring schemes - I pretty much insist that they can't involve externally obvious extra knobs or switches on the guitar. I love Deaf Eddie's 5 way superswitch, for instance - but it's still the normal number of tele switches and knobs.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That doubleneck would look weird in church, it looks like a lizard with that quilted maple, although I can imagine a 12/6 could have useful musical applications.

That Mockingbird looks o.k. and doesn't give me the same impression.

17. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

Haha I love how your entire post is talking about how you despise the guitar and all the mechanics wrong with it (which I totally agree) and then at the end say you will build it anyways! Always love the challenge. I have to agree with you. I believe this is a double neck version of BC Rich's Bich model. I personally hate the shape and can only get along with the mockingbird shape (which I have based a few of my single cut sketches off of) and the warlock. Good luck! Just remember this build will probably have 3 centerlines haha! Will definitely be following this!

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Than you everybody for your thoughts, comments and condolences. I'm pretty sure I will build this, if for no other reason that it is so off the wall it just needs to be done.

I know that a 6/12 string makes no sense - remember that I've been arguing to Capt'n Nutslot about everything that could go wrong. I can only think of one song that fits and frankly I have never had any interest in learning it. A 24 fret 12 string neck joining at 19 is totally unnecessary. I have played double necks and they are heavy, awkward, don't sit on your lap and don't hang from a strap. Both my son and I have twelve string guitars (acoustics) but I have never wanted an electric 12.

Are the octave string tuners genius or stupidity? Probably no worse than fine tuners on a Floyd and certainly will get some weight off the head, but I think it makes sense to build the neck with a big enough head that I can put them there if I want (I can always cut it off). I'll get a 12 string ToM and experiment with the tailpiece idea to see if I can make it work.

I made it a rule a long time ago to never build a guitar that I can't get a case to fit (I have had to buy three custom cases and they ain't cheap). I suppose he could put it in a pillow case when he takes it to church...

And yes, I know its going to be obscenely heavy. My first thought was to build it out of the lightest wood possible - probably basswood, but I'm a hopeless wood slut so it will end up being something pretty. In fact since it is so outrageous I'll probably find the prettiest wood I can get. Right now I'm thinking mahogany body with a maple cap - I'll have to see what the lumber yard has that will make into a 16 inch wide body. The Rich guitar is thru neck (two thru necks) - what a bad idea. Can you imagine this thing with two necks on your work bench and you try to route pockets and do binding or frets. Not gonna happen.

Chambered of course, why does anyone build a solid body guitar that is solid? The Rich looks to be flat on top with bevels around the sides kind of like an SG - that should be straightforward.

As long as we are going to extremes I think it does make sense to put in all the electronics. My son and I built a "guitar to do everything" a few years ago (it really doesn't do anything very well) - I just might move the pickups and bridge to this one.

So, yeah, I think I will build it. I don't mind this thread dying out - I'll start a new one when I get some wood. Meanwhile, back to your normally scheduled telecaster builds...

19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you run into a problem with the build just call Joe; he might let you check his out.[​IMG]

20. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

:twisted:

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.