my son wants a 1999-2003 Ford 7.3 Diesel Pickup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

Also, with diesel costing sixty cents or more than gas, he should take that into consideration.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A diesel is going to get better fuel economy than most V8s, so it's just about a wash there. Except when towing, then the diesel will kill a gas engine for economy.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We made my son drive the Yaris for a few months, now he's happy to drive the Rav4.

4. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Now compare it to a V10 gas F250. I'm considering an F250 for towing / weekend duty and think I may go with the V10. For the 5K miles a year I plan, and the 50-60 cent hit for diesel, the diesel's fuel savings is a wash. As someone else mentioned, the diesel repairs can be very costly. The 7.3 is a reliable engine, but the transmissions they used 4R100 weren't top notch (same used on V10's up to '05, then better torque-shift unit offered). I have a couple buddies who own both 7.3 and V10 F250's with similar trailers, the V10 slaughters a stock 7.3 over the pass. The 7.3 has more potential than the V10 if that matters.
    Clean low mile 7.3 trucks are hard to find and grossly over priced when you do. I suspect this is because the later Powerstoke Fords were nowhere near as reliable as the old reliable 7.3.

5. Frodebro

My next-door neighbor has an F250 4x4 with the V10 gas engine. It pulls his 28' trailer with no problem, but the fuel consumption drops into the single digits when he's pulling.

Like your plans, he only uses it for pulling his trailer and the occasional dump run, so the fuel cost isn't too horrible for him to deal with.

My dad has a Dodge 1 ton Cummins dually crew cab 4x4, he pulls a 32' fifth wheel with it and gets milage in the mid teens with the trailer, and high teens/low twenties on the highway empty.

If you were doing a lot of towing, the diesel would be way more economical.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

we did it together and had fun... he loves it, but he also inherited a honda accord (a nice car) from his grandma when she passed last spring... He is going to give his mom the accord, she is going to sell her newer accord and the proceeds of selling the truck, the honda and his money from his pig and some other ag stuff he's gotten.. plus his savings.... he wants the beast.

He's a good kid and right now he is enamored of the 'beast'....

Thanks for the ideas frodebro!

7. Frodebro

There are SO MANY guys that build these trucks up, and there is SO MUCH information on them that no matter what issue you come across, you'll find the answer you're looking for. There's a community out there not unlike around here when it comes to these trucks.

This spring we spent a weekend replacing the clutch in my brother's truck, and he had a guy from freaking WISCONSIN on the phone, walking us through the little "quirks" of the process. Just some guy from one of the diesel forums, who PMed him a cell number and said "call me when you're ready to get dirty."

8. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I would say that he should check into the cost of routine services. Generally they take more oil, have 2 oil filters. Fuel filters need to be changed more often than gas engines. Air filters cost more. They usually have 2 batteries. Its a good idea to use fuel conditioner all year long. Diesels don't perform well till they are completely warmed up. So if he won't be putting a lot of miles on it the oil must be changed more often. If a turbo or a injector pump goes bad it is not cheap to fix. Big trucks big bucks. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but a few of my friends were not happy when they found out the costs of maintaining their recently purchased diesels. Also 4 door pickups with an 8 foot bed take up a lot of real estate and are not easy to get around in parking lots.

9. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

How about you think about the Enviroment for a sec and get a Prius.

[​IMG]

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I wasn't going to comment but since your from the UK maybe I can explain how things work here in the States.
    We Like trucks. NO WE LOVE TRUCKS ! We'd rather live in a run down cockroach invested trailer in a white trash trailer park than give up our truck.
    We get in fist fights over the Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy thing.
    We spend money on gas, repairs, upgrades, lift kits, lights and Super Swampers that we could use to put into our childrens collage funds.
    But who wants there children off in collage anyway? Some body has to buy new country CDs right?

Ok that's why I wasn't going to comment I find the whole pickup thing pretty stupid. Yes I own one I just never drive it unless I need to. I also have them at work and my company could save millons worldwide if they'd give 90% of the employees cars.

11. getbent

I drive the gold version of the picture!

We live on a ranch and the boys come out and do all manner of things and my boy is planning to major in Ag Science, so, while the truck is totally overkill, I'll appreciate not hauling stuff in my prius.

12. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Aw, man. That makes me sad. Mostly that I'm nowhere near you and won't be buying the thing. Although I'd have to get rid of something myself, and I really don't have any business buying a truck in metro PDX.

That's a right purty truck.

13. getbent

thanks! we loved the project and we have some great pics of it and loved the project, but, it is more practical to have something more modern when you live 28 miles from the high school on a road that has one minute mart and it is 25 miles from the house...

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The 250 should be relatively safe from a crash impact standpoint, and will haul or tow a lotta stuff.

I like driving them, you can put the hammer down and haul tail, and the visibility is good. The drawback is the split level armrest where the base of the window meets the door. A straight one is much more comfortable, but they've been virtually eliminated on Ford trucks.

Is your son planning to attend UC Davis?

Show him this video on burning coal. :twisted::twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkt6HZEZPrQ

15. getbent

he is thinking Davis, Fresno, Cal Poly SLO and maybe a school in either Montana or Oklahoma...

I'm hoping he wants to go to Fresno... if he gets an offer to play baseball, he'll do that and change plans until that is finished....

He has a lot of interests! and I tend to tell him that life lasts a really long time if you pay attention, so, do all the stuff you wanna do.

16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with its a bad idea to give a 16 year old a diesel, just too costly when he does the usual teenage goofing off ;). I have a 99 F250 SD that i bought two years ago with the 5.3L, 5 Speed, super cab, low miles, and I paid $9k. Unless he is going to pull down small buildings or haul a yacht, it will be just as impressive and a lot less upkeep.

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Another thing to remember, at $3 a gallon gas, if i drive it down to the low fuel light, a $100 wont give me a full tank. I get probably 12 mpg roughly highway and driving around the city i am guessing 9-10. You could probably get better with a set of touring tires instead of A/T but where is the fun in that.

18. LennartB

LennartB Tele-Meister

Americans and big cars with huge engines.. i will never get it.
    I find it quite fascinating how big of a difference there is with Europe on this matter.
    Here almost any new car is eco. I drive a 0,9 turbocharged petrol with 90HP (Dacia) for example. This is not a knock on you guys, i realize it's part of your culture, but i find it interesting. And 3 bucks for a gallon isn't bad, here we pay €1,50 for 1 liter of petrol (2 bucks), and Diesel around here is cheaper than Petrol.

19. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Come on over and drive a few. It's quite addictive.

I miss driving my monster vehicles, but I know better than to think I could afford to feed one now.

20. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

If the kid buys the truck and is prepared to maintain it TOTALLY with his own money earned at a job, including the $100 plus fillups, not much you can do.

If you need to be a financial "partner" in the deal, I say no go. And this includes help when the truck is broken down and needs expensive repairs "so your son can get to school or work". His choice of vehicle does not become YOUR expensive emergency. At this point, he will have to ride a bicycle to school or work and earn money to fix the truck.

Any vehicle this old is likely to have catastrophic and expensive failures and stuff like new turbos, transmissions, even wheels and tires are gonna cost a pretty penny. When I was 17, I drove English sports cars which didn't use a lot of gas, but which were designed to have catastrophic failures at least monthly. This experience taught me to fix cars. Then I went thru muscle cars, but that was 1972 when gas was 35 cents per gallon. And I was 20, married, working my ass off and going to school. Even then, 11 mpg was not fun.

I spend a lot of time on a Ford Truck forum and have owned a full size pickup or full size van continuously since 1978, but my current '02 E150 van is a "spare" vehicle that is basically a weekend travel/hauling/bicycling/camping/music gear carrier. And it gives me the experience of $100 fillups.

If your son wants a diesel so he can make a lot of noise and black smoke, I think that is not a valid reason to own it. (Too many people "wear" trucks instead of using them.) If he is going to use it in a landscaping business or something, that is a better reason.

George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.