1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My son Jack - Kids baseball

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1977CJ5, May 18, 2010.

1. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Please tell him GREAT JOB!

great story …. thanks for sharing!

2. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Brings back many fond memories! I coached when my boys were in little league. It's so satisfying to see a kid finally get the big hit! And yes, nothing builds self assurance and confidence than a good hit! Thanks for telling us about this!

3. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Ahh, the magic of baseball!! Good for your son. Now he knows he can do it!!!

4. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

He'll remember that hit fondly for the rest of his life...

5. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

I played baseball from the time I could walk until I was about 14. In all those years I remember one catch I made when I was about 8, it was a game winning catch and the reaction was pretty much the same. That kid's gonna remember that hit for years, it's a great feeling. God I love baseball.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

That's why they play the game...keep you coming back everytime...yaaaay for Jack..

Cheers
    ce24

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I been in a similar place as the OP when my son was playing in Little League. My son was far from being the best player, and while not the worst on the team, was still in the "if it were not for the mandatory play everyone rule, then he wouldn't get to play much" subset of the team.

Unfortunately, my son's love for baseball was adversely affected by the win-at-all-cost attitude of the team coaches (in 2 separate seasons). It was his bad luck to get on such teams, where the coach liked (and treated well) the better ballplayers and ignored (or, more often than not, affirmatively treated badly) the not-so-talented players.

Of course, that's not what they should be doing, but still occurs all too frequently in this "winning is everything" society of ours.

One year I nearly punched out his coach from the way he treated my son (in public) during a game (well, not really - we were on opposite sides of a fence, and all I did was shout at him, but at the time I felt like punching him out, and I am not a violent person). I did, however, report him to the league for his unnecessary, unwarranted, excessive, abusive treatment of my son. It seems I was not the only one to have done so with this particular coach. The next year a different coach took a different approach, just ignoring my son as well as the rule that requires that all players get a chance. Since my son was not as talented as the others, and since the team was a strong one, he tried to get my son to quit the team by ignoring him and making small, but hurtful, digs at him. The team ended up winning the championship, and my son got a trophy, but he never really got to play.

While my son (now 20) has turned out great (IMHO), I think he was somewhat emotionally scarred by the whole situation. Perhaps not too deeply, but I cannot imagine it did not do something serious to his self-esteem or whatever.

It really sucks that such kind of coaches seem to be more the norm than the exception.

Anyway, I am thrilled for the OP and his son Jack. Hopefully this will be only one of many accomplishments for him, both in baseball and in life.

8. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Way to go Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And go ahead and pound that proud chest Papa!! If that is not a "that's my boy" moment, there ain't no such.

9. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

nvilletele,

That's one of the reasons I coached little league when my sons were playing. I really didn't know enough about baseball (I had assistants who did), but I was asked and decided to do it. I got the reputation of being the "nice" coach and many of the mothers with sensitive or shy kids asked that they be on my team. We had our share of coaches that you describe. Many people probably thought I was not competitive enough. Anyway, all the kids got to play and needless to say, we were never the best team in the league. In fact, the third or fouth year as coach, my son asked me if he could be on someone else's team so he could play with a competitive team! So....I don't know whether my mellow, encouraging demeanor was beneficial to any of the kids or not, but I do know, all of them got to play and many became fairly good at it and most had fun.

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

"One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something."
    -Nolan Ryan, Hall of Fame Pitcher

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

"The hardest thing to do in baseball is to hit a round baseball with a round bat, squarely." - Ted Williams

11. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

Great, great story. I have four boys, ages 7 to 15. All have played youth baseball. I'm coaching the youngest, tonight in fact - the Mets!

My sons are all different in terms of athletic ability - the oldest and youngest are pretty athletic, the middle two not so much. They all play mainly football and baseball. I can definitely relate to some of the above stories about coaches who take sports waaay too seriously and have had to deal with jerk coaches who didn't want to play one of my sons.

Anyway, one of my favorite memories is the year my son's team won it all in their league when he was in sixth grade. In the title game, one of his teammates hit it out of the park to tie the game in the late innings - I had never seen any kid in little league hit it out and he does it to tie the championship game. The team won the game on a walk off play at the plate in extra innings. Awesome!

12. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

That didn't half make me smile......that's what movies are made of...great !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.