1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My son has a scratchy Vox wah pedal!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Billy3, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Hi there! So my son bought a brand new Vox V845 wah pedal a year ago. When pressing the toe end down it is very scrathy. Should I take it apart and use deoxit or what else does anyone think I should do? Is it a potentiometer issue? Just looking for some advice before I get into it. Thanks! Keep on pickin!!! P.s. If I need to use deoxit, what type should I buy for pots,pedals and movable electronic guitar parts?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think I’d spray it with some contact cleaner (the pot that is) and maybe even re-grease it

If you/he has animals the lithium grease in those wahs attract hair and such

rze99 likes this.
  3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I did that a few times, it was a temporary fix. Eventually gifted it to a friend who put in a fancy sealed pot.

I bought a Morley for myself.

4. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

wah pot should last longer than a year
    DeOxit should fix it
    while it's open you can adjust the rack and gear for preferred sweep
    grease the rack
    tighten the input and output jacks and DeOxit them as well
    DeOxit the switch and adjust its height so it switches without excess pressure, and does not switch unintentionally
    adjust tension band screw

should then be good for 1000 choruses of "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Is contact cleaner the same as deoxit?

6. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

I actually just recently posted a thread about a used Vox wah that I picked up. I've adjusted the rack and pinion on several Cry Baby wahs and it was no big deal. But the Vox that I just got, it was my experience that there is no margin to adjust the rack. If it isn't on the exact right tooth, then the wah wouldn't function properly. The Cry Baby has a few teeth in either direction where it'll still function as intended, but the Vox does not. At least my Vox didn't. It was very annoying because I thought there was something wrong with it, since I got it used. Adjusting the rack was the first thing I did, and I was use to having some room for play like my Cry Baby wahs, so when it still didn't work after adjusting it I was assuming there was something wrong. I posted a thread here asking for help, then tried adjusting the rack again. This time I spend a little more time fiddling with it, listening to the sweep as I was adjusting it, and was finally able to get it to work correctly.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Deoxit is a contact cleaner. Deoxit has an oily substance that conditions the pot's carbon track vs. the contact cleaners that dry up. Deoxit seems to make my pots stay clean for a longer period.

Billy3 likes this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Ike Turner would never hire him.

MickM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.