My son came home

Blackout Jazz

Tele-Meister
from school and said "Dad, will you teach me to play this song?" I said, "Eric, you can play with that bass any time you want, just don't bang the headstock into anything." He spent an hour playing with it. This makes Dad happy. :D
20211028_171132-jpg.4454147

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Oh, Dad's good news!

The only other thing you could have done was "strictly forbidden" access to the bass to make it just a little more attractive.
10/10 parenting to warn about the head-stock bonks.

Peace - Deeve

0ct0Pr0n

Tele-Meister
Oh, Dad's good news!

The only other thing you could have done was "strictly forbidden" access to the bass to make it just a little more attractive.
10/10 parenting to warn about the head-stock bonks.

Peace - Deeve
“Don’t be like me and play music, son. You’ll get hooked on weed and the women will never leave you alone.”

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
What a great moment.
My oldest had a punk band in his teens but did not play. It took moving to Austin to make him interested and now he plays very well and loves Irish ballads.
My youngest and I built a guitar together but he never took a shine to play.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Makes me happy, too, and I don't even know you. My kids want to know how to play guitar, but are not willing to put forth the effort, so I don't bother to try to teach. I keep telling them I already know how to play, and I can't learn for them. Falls on deaf ears.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I hope he keeps the interest! Youngsters have so many distractions today, much more than I ever had when I was their age, and just seems they go from one thing to another and lose interest. I've tried to teach kids who genuinely had interest, and even approached me to ask me to teach them, but then they don't put in the effort and off to the Playstation they go for the next 4 days etc. I hope your son will take to it!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Cool, as long as your daughter doesn't become a drummer. At that point, I'd start to question your parenting. ;)

I remember going to see Sheila Escovedo when she was about 14 playing drums a LONG time before she became Sheila E.

She was phenomenal and with her dad Pete on percussion they played with guys like Ray Obiedo all over oakland and berkeley... just fantastic. She played with George Duke for a pretty long time then had here solo career and the work she did with Prince... if my daughters wanted to play drums, I'd love it!

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My boy is into this kind of instrumental math rock stuff from a band called Polyphia--man, it's AGGRESSIVELY unhummable--and I heard him plinking away at Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the Ibby mikro that's been lying around since I tried to get our oldest kid to play (she made it as far as D7), so I went and dug out my Pod and showed him how to use it, figuring that the gadget might get him hooked.

I don't think he even lasted the evening...

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
With some input on the design side from me, my son and my dad built a bass in the summer of 1999. (My dad was a multitalented craftsman in wood and metal. My son is a drummer, but wanted a second instrument.) It was probably the last project my dad undertook before he died later that year. I must dig out the build pics and get them digitised, but here's the finished article (based on a Modulus Flea bass in light ash, maple and ebony neck, with Kent Armstrong soapbar pickup) and its proud owner. He's a pretty fair semi-pro drummer now. 20210115_143021.jpg