My signature on the headstock - how?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Chordophonic, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Ive built a few parts casters and Id like to put a handwritten "signature" on each of them, however I would like them all the same a la Fender Gibson etc, but handwritten rather than a word doc font, any ideas how? Ive used waterside decals for word fonts, but Id rather have something more unique and personal…..no idea how! Share your thoughts…...

Paul

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Scan a copy of your signature, then use a program such as Corel draw (numerous other programmes will do, it's just Corel draw is what I use) to digitally trace your signature, then you have a digital image you can print to decal paper.

Et voila.

(there may well be other, better ways......)

3. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Ive tried waterside on a black headstock and the inkjet ink is translucent and doesn't show on the black, I used clear background decal paper…do you use the white background paper?

Paul

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had the same experience--some brands of inkjets will do decals properly, some won't. I received a laser printer for last Christmas, so am looking forward to trying laser-print decals (hopefully without completely bodging up the fuser and other incredibly expensive parts:eek:!).

There is a TDPRI member, J Bennett, who does a lot of decal work for a number of builders here, and his work looks fabulous, and all the users who have commented on him have nothing but good things to say.
    I don't know if he ships to the UK, but it might be worth an email. He will work with you to develop font styles, colors, and other things you'd like to incorporate into your signature decals.

If you want to stay with DIY, I know some builders here have made small silkscreens, and silk screen their names/logos on their headstocks. RogerC comes to mind, and I'm sure he'd be glad to give you some info on how it's done. I think craft stores sell silkscreen kits with the necessary materials to get you going.

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Ah, I thought you quite literally wanted to have your actual signature on there (like Ron Kirn, for example, does with his guitars)

Have a read of these two threads, if you fancy DIY, otherwise JBennett, as Rick says, is Don Decal round these parts.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/264248-how-make-headstock-decals.html

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/214826-waterslide-decals-question.html

After reading those, I made these (and plenty of others for other builds) for myself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other methods:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/486565-what-you-using-headstock-logos.html

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah, good info, Brainy.

Also, I thought there should be a UK version of JBennett. And with an unmistakeable moniker, too!

EDIT: Say, wait just a minute! That first photo, of the Esquire, looks suspiciously complete. Strung up, string tree, decal. . .hmm, you haven't cheated on us and actually completed a guitar have you, Mr. BB?

7. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I have used white decal paper to produce white font for a black pedal enclosure, and therefore printed the area around the font in black, hoping this would match the black of the enclosure. It did. But I wouldn't fancy my chances of doing something more detailed and finer like a headstock that way. I'd go with printing a black outline of the font on clear decal paper (laser, costs about £1 to get a sheet printed at my local kwik), then hand painting the fill in white (as per my second photo above, the fill was painted in cream; as per the JBennett method in the links I posed)

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Ah, that was a paisley partscaster:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/447899-paisley-esquire-partscaster.html

And it was completed.

Was.

I never really liked it, so I've stripped it back down to parts, just need to get round to selling the AllParts neck (cos, you know, who needs a decent neck when you can quite easily make a dodgy back bowed one yourself.....) and paisley body.

Technically, I have actually completed two scratch builds. But even one of those is back in pieces! It was a jazz bass, but the pine body was too light, so the final coats of nitro are currently curing on a replacement ash body that I started before failing to finish the Challenge....

9. cowboy rob61

cowboy rob61 Tele-Meister

I made a brand of my initials out of a coat-hanger, heated it up, and burned it into the headstock.

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Reverse your image and print it, then trace the middle with a paint pen. The black ink will stay on the bottom, leaving you with a crisp outline. Just be sure to lacquer it before trying to slide the decals off (which you would need to do anyway if you're using an ink jet printer).

The other advantage of doing the decal on the backwards is even if you sand into the film a little bit, the printing is on the other side.

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

12. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

When I'm doing a logo on a dark headstock, I silkscreen it. This logo started out as a scanned signature, then I did a little work on it in Illustrator, (but you could use paint or Corel or whatever). You could also experiment with just signing the transparency with a sharpie and then using that to burn your silkscreen. It's not that complicated. I got a kit from ezscreenprint.com (no affiliation) and it worked well.

Here's a link to the post in my 2013 Challenge build where I used this method: Silkscreen jfellows 2013 Challenge post

13. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

You can outline your own scan of a signature in photoshop or another program like illustrator and then print it and "back-fill" the decal with metallic enamel paint (the stuff you use for a plastic model kit).

It's not hard to do. Email me if you need a hand.
    This is how Rutters did his headstock decal. He sent me the signature and I essentially traced it in illustrator. You could use a vector file like that or you can use photoshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. speedy25

speedy25 TDPRI Member

Have it laser etched. Common service these days. As suggested earlier, make a Corel file of how you want it and almost anyone with a machine can etch it on.

-SP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.