1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My shoulder diagnosis

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Calcific Tendinitis and Calcific Bursitis. Osteoarthritis. Any others out there with similar issues? How was yours dealt with?

Edit: Just got results of MRI and X-rays done on Sunday, Jan 17th. Still have not heard yet from Orthopedic Doc. My hope is that they can scope and clean out some of the calcification. No damaged tendons....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    rewind, Toto'sDad and stormsedge like this.
  2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear it. Yeah, both my shoulders are messed up from things I did in the military. I don’t think human shoulders were meant to be subjected to things like that.

They hurt like hell some days, but the only measures that I bother taking are ibuprofen and gritting my teeth.

Everybody that I know who has let them start operating on things has ended up worse off than if they’d just left things alone. Unless it becomes unbearable, I’ll just grin and bear it.

Bio-Freeze is comforting and smells nice, but I don’t know if it actually does anything, or if it just makes me feel better psychologically. And the heating pad is your friend.

I hope you figure out some way to get comfortable.

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i have should problems...what did yours feel like

4. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I played baseball all my life, including some adult years. I have had shoulder pain off and on for many years. Usually when I would go to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and do the fast-pitch without warming up. I recently re-activated my golf game. After playing 4 times, my shoulder begin hurting tremendously. My dominant shoulder, right in the socket and right at the very top of the shoulder where it starts going down to the arm. I could actually press on the exact spot that it hurt. I began physical therapy and that made it worse. Over New Year's break I went for 3 days and couldn't move my arm AT ALL. I thought for sure it was a torn muscle or tendon, but the MRI came back negative for any of those causes.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

hitch in your giddyup.... we are SO lucky, we live long enough to hurt like heck! I think they have some non pharma, physical therapy you can do....

or aspirin and bourbon!

Hang in my brother!

Obsessed, Bluesboy3 and stormsedge like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Mine are both gooned up a bit from overdoing some things in the military. I did a cortisone shot or two some number of years ago. Now, I take a daily Celebrex and make sure I keep them moving (carefully). I've lifted weights for over thirty years (but now less weight/more reps), which my docs opine will keep me from needing any operations because my muscles are holding my shoulders tight...if that makes sense. Throwing anything (however) is no longer in my painless skill set (never threw well anyway).

edit: I have done PT several times in the past for mine...it works. it hurts, but it works.

rewind and Steerforth like this.
  7. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

In all honesty, I'm hoping that the doc will consider some type of arthroscopic surgery to clean out the calcification. I can't imagine playing golf again unless I get something done.... I'll let you guys know when the doc chimes in.

stormsedge, Steerforth and getbent like this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I've never used it but I keep hearing good things about Relief Factor on the radio. Can't hurt to try it.

9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I had a bad shoulder from high school sports, then dislocated it badly in 06. MRI showed bone chips floating around, everything...literally everything...was partially torn but nothing completely severed. The surgeon said he could do a complete reconstruction but I wouldn’t play piano or guitar (my entire living at the time) for six months and I wouldn’t pick my kids up for a year (they were little). After all of that he gave it a 50/50 chance of feeling any better. OR I could do PT and build muscle mass to try and hold the thing together. I spent months just working range of motion then years doing strength training in very slow increments. Mostly normal now, but I’m careful doing anything overhead.

stormsedge likes this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Years of jiu jitsu and aikido ... my shoulders have both been dislocated (separated) over a dozen times each. Gotta be careful putting on a jacket. Ouch.

Good luck with your recovery.

stormsedge likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, every guy I know older than me are going through shoulder replacement surgery. I decided to invest in a log splitter this year as a way to put off the inevitable. Most of my rotator cuff issues stem from ultra distance swimming and cross country skiing competitions decades ago, but splitting wood and canoe paddling have become the latest hurdles.:( Most of winter I can hardly raise my arms to get something out of the cupboard to let it heal for another summer of activities. Holding a bass is limited now too.:oops: Warming up is paramount these days. Fortunately I learned those excercises back in my Masters swim training.

Yeah, and Aikido didn't help either.:rolleyes:

stormsedge likes this.
  12. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, exactly. I cannot raise my left arm if I'm reaching for something in the cupoard, let alone if I were trying to lift something into place....

stormsedge likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with your shoulder problem. I hope they can do something noninvasive, but if you have to do something I hope it works perfectly for you.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. Obsessed

I found that it will take a few months of not raising your hand above the shoulder, but it does seem to go away until I do something stupid again. Mine can get painful enough that I have to sleep on my less preferred side too.

electrichead and stormsedge like this.
  15. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Ugh.... again, exactly the issue. You don't even realize that you are doing something wrong and then BAM, there it goes. Even just reaching to scratch your other arm in the middle of the night....

stormsedge and rewind like this.
  16. Obsessed

Don't carry up a ladder and install a 4'x8' piece of drywall by yourself. Trust me on this.:oops:

theprofessor and stormsedge like this.
  17. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I had pretty much the same thing and just had scope surgery in September. The shoulder joint is much better but now I have a tremor in my arm and a constant pain in my scaline muscles. Suspecting that the nerve block they did for the surgery did something to the nerve there. Medical investigation (and bills) continue.

stormsedge likes this.
  18. rewind

rewind Tele-Meister

Had micro-tearing in my shoulders along with arthritis. I went through the physio with extensor bands and movement exercises. Nowadays, I use a shovel handle I can twirl and flip around for exercise. I don't bother with short staff forms anymore. I know it will never go away but at least I still have mobility in the joints.

stormsedge likes this.
  19. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I played little league baseball and when I was 12 my dumbass coach taught me how to incorrectly throw a curveball and basically I threw my arm out by the time I was 15.
    It was pretty cool to be able to do that but its something that I pay for now. Scared the hell out of the other kids
    I really noticed it when my daughter was growing up and when tossing around a baseball or football I realized the kids could throw harder and further than I could..

My pain is more in my elbow but bio-freeze is my friend and it does seem to work. Just have to be real careful..
    Being in the body shop business never really helped either..

20. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Update: doctor wants me to get a cortisone shot. I am so very hopeful that this will allow me to re-restart my golf game!

theprofessor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.