My shed add on.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by rexhunta, Apr 13, 2020.

1. rexhunta

rexhunta Tele-Meister

Hey guys, though i would put a little blog up about building my little room in the shed for any who was thinking if they wanted to do it too.

Anyway, I have a largish shed (12mx10m) which i generally build cars in, but every time i do anything timber/wood related i make a massive mess, and, really, getting dust threw cars ain't it chief.

So after deciding with the minister of war and peace, I have started a room for dedicated guitar building/ wood working. She was all for it as we have a youngen, and would be good if he got into a few little projects too like making possum boxes with me and bird houses.

After deciding where and what size, I have got the room, the ceiling and the wiring all done. The room ended up being 3.6m deep, and 3.2m across. The ceiling height is 2.4m, and i will use the front edge 900 to store some very light stuff ( Jeep flares, and general camping gear. )

[​IMG]

The door opening is 2040x940, but I have offsetted the door so when the drop saw is setup alongside the long wall, i can run timbers through and will be able to cut upto 3.3 into the room itself, I will be able to cut 6m lengths easily this way. I put 100x100 hinges on the door so it swings all the way back and around the external covering. It's a 40mm solid core that I removed from a medical centre, edge stripped as the original frame it was in was horrible !.

I have already pre wired it, will have a quad gpo on the back wall where the original 2 gpo is, and a double 15 amp gpo on the long wall. Lights have their own circuit, planning to have 3-4 double flouros to light it up nice and bright inside when the ceiling is up.

The walls will be insulated all round and above to keep noise down, and will end up with dust extraction etc. I have 2 bags of bats so far which will do the front walls, next Bunnings trip ill grab the rest of the batts.

I also started the top for my router bench. It's 950x890x40mm thick, 2 benchtop sink cutouts that's from a job were working on atm - these get snapped up so quickly by people wanting them for cutting fish etc on. I cut the ends flat on the 2 pieces and then used the bench top hardware to pull them tight, it came up good and nice and flat. I have purchased 6mm thick clear perspex for the router mount, it will be 300x300, but the actual hole for the router will be 200x200. I need to make the bench itself now, which i want to make it so i can extend the top so a larger bench like 1500x1500, I have in my head how do it, just need to get it onto paper and hopefully it will work.

[​IMG]

I have a small 8 1/2 table saw that i want to incorporate a swapable top later on, hopefully it will work.

I will end up putting shelving all the way around the top at about 2m/2.1 high, to store everything I can.

That's it for now.
    Pete.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Deeve, stormsedge, nojazzhere and 6 others like this.
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Nice. Puts my recent bike shed to shame.

But, I don’t think you’re building a room in a shed. I think you’re building a shed in a building :)

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s spent ages today listening to The Angels. The 40 Years of Rock live album.

nojazzhere and rexhunta like this.
  3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

I'm all in on the guitar making shed, but possum boxes..... is that an effects pedal? bass cabinet?

nojazzhere and Sidney Vicious like this.
  4. rexhunta

rexhunta Tele-Meister

Something to keep the little endangered species out of my houses roof !

telestratosonic likes this.
  5. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Funny, we call them shotguns.

6. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know the feeling. I had squirrels in my attic a couple of years ago.

rexhunta likes this.
  7. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Pretty cool and if you decide to have a go at acoustic building you'll be able to control the RH (relative humidity).

rexhunta likes this.
  8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Bill...........Mate, which Range View do you live in there seems to be a few according to the interweb!

I'm in Rum City Bungleberg in Qld!

DC

9. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I'm in the Scenic Rim. 'Range View' is the name of my compound.

n2shxzs.jpg

10. Davecam48

Just a tip for your lighting Bill ...........use 40watt LED fluorescent (white) tubes (double fittings). Their light is more natural than the usual tubes and they consume less juice and last longer.
    I have them throughout the house as well as the Sawdust Factory. Love 'em!

In a small area like that I'd have two taught wires spaced at 1/3 the width of the room each supporting a fitting of double 40's that can be moved the length of the room, then you can have the best lighting where ever you need it!

Just a thought!

DC

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Deeve likes this.
  11. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Cheers, I'm mostly a natural light opportunist. Two sides of the same lighting moment yesterday.

DSC05261.JPG
    DSC05266.JPG

12. Davecam48

I would not be able to work with such a brightness variation as that, but then your eyes may not have been stuffed by 20 years of working on hearing aid printed circuit boards less than 1/4" square. We used to work with special magnifying optics but they cause a lot of eye strain too!

DC

13. rexhunta

rexhunta Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the mess under the router table.

Finally got around to getting something done. 12mm Chipboard now all around, with r2.1 batts in the walls and ceiling. 3 x double 10A gpos, and a double 15A gpo on it's own circuit, 4 of 2x36w led battens on the ceiling provide the light. Ethernet connection is now in as well, which is the hole under the GPO you can see. The bloke at Bunnings was really quizzable when I asked for 23 sheets of board :lol: I am going to remove one of the double gpos and put a 4 GPO on, so I can mount my 3d printer up there, possibly run another ethernet line in If I have enough spare so I can use it to convert to USB and be able to send programs up from the house.

Today I got around to ripping enough of the left over board to make 300mm wide shelving which will run the whole way around the walls, at bout 2000mm off the floor, giving me enough room to make some boxes to slide in on top and store everything right out of the way.

Hopefully be able to raid some of the old formply from work soon and start covering 1/2 the top and make it a usable mezzanine floor like the other side of my workshop.

I opted to make it from chipboard on the outside as well, so I can mount racks and holders to it. I have a few plans for later on down the track.

Will try and get the table saw out and make some beads for the cornice and sides, and make some architraves for the door frame in the next few weeks If I can get a chance to sneak up there !.

edit:
    And this is my router table finished. The inside square is 450x450, which is enough for my 7 1/4 table saw to fit in, which I am going to make an insert for out of aluminium soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With too many projects to go on, at least my wife knows where I am most days :lol:

Pete

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    jkingma likes this.
  14. Davecam48

Good work on the router table!!! ...............but............if you build a removable frame for the table with a height adjustable router which aligns with the chuck centre of the table router, you will have a pin router that can be used to duplicate in a flash anything you make a template for. I have two pin routers and a shed full of MDF templates for a lot of different guitar shapes as well as heaps of non-guitar related "stuff" and have recently completed a few sets of wooden alphabet letters and several number sets 0 to 9 for my daughters Grade 1 classroom. The kids and all the other teachers love them, but I may have made a rod for my own back I think!

The thing is I have the pin-rout templates stored so they can be used over and over without the bother of setting up a CNC or power saws etc. I also have several guitar templates stored so I can reproduce a solid body blank in about 15 minutes then there are a number of different neck profile templates as well, so making a neck is just as easy as doing a body. I usually build hollow bodies these days and I also devised a jig to produce my own kerfing to any size of acoustic body depth so a very thin veneer for the guitar sides reinforced by the same width kerfing produces a very strong guitar body which is extremely light and rigid.

Anyway have fun in your new workshop!

DC

rexhunta likes this.
  15. Davecam48

upload_2021-8-30_10-33-46.jpeg

rexhunta likes this.
  16. rexhunta

rexhunta Tele-Meister

Would you be able to throw up a pic of your table setup please? Sounds interesting.

17. Davecam48

Hi Rex................I'll try to take a pic of the pin rout table I use most of the time. Was going to do it this afternoon but we had visitors and now the light is not suitable for photos just at present. Believe me using the pin router to make guitar bodies and necks is a breeze once your templates are established and they are very easy to do as well! My problem is trying to remember where a particular template has been stored and then trying to find the damn thing.

Anyway I'll have another go tomorrow!

DC

18. Davecam48

Hi Rex!

Mate sorry I haven't been able to get back to you yet , have had some serious health problems including removal of my prostrate and diagnosing and mapping the residual cancer as a result. I start daily radio therapy next week which may or may not cause other mobility problems. My surgery has thrown a spanner in the memory circuits and though it seems to be getting better a bit, it still remains difficult to retain "stuff" in my brain!

I have posted on this forum before that the gentlemen here should make it a point to have their prostrate checked for cancer.

It really sneaked up on me without any real symptoms, so please guys go and have a test, it may save you months of misery and thousands of dollars!

DC

rexhunta likes this.
  19. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

'Hope you manage the treatment and recovery well, DC. Good advise, too.

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I love it when I learn new terms! I'm using this one :twisted::D:cool: Diggin' your new add-on man! Nice!

rexhunta likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.