1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Samick Tele Just got a new blond girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Clipper, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

Merry Christmas to me!
    Merry Christmas to me!

Last week I just finished a reversed 4-way wiring upgrade to my Samick Artist Series 52 Tele. Have some new Wilkerson Vintage pups coming in the mail for it soon.

Look what I found on CL this week! A matching Thinline.

Honey hush! It was love at first sight.

This gal is a little older and def needs some work, but she is a cougar alright.

Here are some pics the happy new couple.

Yippee!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

A couple more shots.

The male of the species has more brightly colored tail feathers to attract the female of the species....

I'm just being silly now, but I've always loved the tightly grained, bookmatched wood figuring on this solid-bodied Samick. The wood-grain on the Thinline is a lot plainer, no attempt at bookmatching was made at all, yet it is solidly constructed.

The neck profile may be slightly thicker on the Thinline as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

How is it routed under the pickguard?

Nice score!

4. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

They look fantastic! Nice score, hope you have a blast playing both of them.

5. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Very cool!

6. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to get to work on the Thinline.

It has a little fret wear but not a lot. I will level and crown the frets to start.

It doesn't look like the nut action has ever been filed properly. And looking at it, the nut looks like the plastic orig so I'll just replace it with Tusq or bone.

I'm impressed with the wiring upgrade on the solid Samick (4-way switch, cts pots, orange drop cap, treble bleed, switchcraft jack) so I'll be doing this one as well. The current jack is shot and the switch is scratchy too. I'll at least 4-way mod it or else look into a 5-way switching situation depending on how I choose to go with the pups.

I haven't had the pickguard off yet so don't know how it's routed. I'll find out soon though, the front pup needs to be raised to balance better with the bridge pup which is way hotter/louder than the neck.

The bridge pup however, has this really annoying ringing overtone (or wolf-tone) that's gotta either be fixed or else the pup's getting replaced. I really would like to see a Gretch Filtertron pup in the bridge spot. I prefer old school tones.

Maybe I should consider Filtertron's in both places but only if I can coil-split / series~parallel them.

I already have handy some new Gibby-style PAF pup's with 4-wires for a Les Paul project I can redirect, but I don't know what a Tele would sound like with PAF's.:?:

So I'm developing my action plan for the Cougar.

Anyone have suggestions on how you may do one like it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oh shes very sexy! Congtars!

8. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

I picked up a nice pair of used Gretch Filtertrons mini-HB's but they have standard two wire leads.

How difficult is it to convert them to four wire leads for coil-splitting?

9. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Nice couple! Congratulations!

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Wow! They should have lovely offspring!

11. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

If you do the Filtertron, how about a 3 saddle sawed off top loader
    bridge? GFS has them.

12. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

Very nice! How old do you think they are? I'm guessing ninteen eighty something on both.

13. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

beautiful grain on those two, if they play as good as they look, i'd say you got one sweet pair o' ladies there

14. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

Honestly I cant find any info out there to find a mfg. date.

Serial numbers on the neck plates run like this if anyone has any info on dating these instruments:

Solid body serial number: 60918XX

Thinline serial number: 00202XX

The Thinline looks like a lower serial number and seems older than the solid I'm almost certain of it by it's "weathered" condition.

The Solid body is in pristine condition. Need to deal with a couple of proud frets but it plays like butter.

If the serial numbers follow other mfg. similar numbering schemes they may have rolled out in 2000 and 2006 but I'm guessing here.

Anyone have better intell...?

15. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

Thanks for the idea John. I hadn't gotten that far yet but the buzzing wolf-tone may well be emanating from the bridge.

I may be replacing it, good suggestion J. Can string contact with saddle springs behind the saddles cause buzzing or intermittent sound issues. Straight from the string holes to the saddles, the bridge on this example, brings the strings in proximity if not in contact with the saddle springs. It does look a little jankety. Prob needs replaced.

I was just on the GFS site and right now I'm thinking one of these pickup's will make it into the bridge position of the Thinline (hoping to find it in a gold cover though):

Memphis Alnico 2 Rickenbacker tone Vintage Jangle Pickup

Anyone here tried one of these Memphis pickups in a tele? Maybe with some slapback and some verberation...?

The Wilkinson vintage pup's showed up for the Solid body tele and I'm now looking forward to some time after the Holiday crunch passes to install them.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

I was thinking 80s because I've seen that Samick logo in old back issues of guitar magazines. The newer Samicks are labled Greg Bennett and have a funky logo. However I have no idea when the Greg Bennett thing started. Pure speculation on my part.

17. Clipper

Clipper TDPRI Member

You could be exactly right Brian. There may be no rhyme or reason behind the numbers and no traceable mfg code.

I know this is the "Artist Series" and it seems identical to the "Valley Arts Custom Series. Not sure the release timing of the two. I am of course curious tho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.