My Rock and Roll blind spot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Oct 2, 2018.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

From the time I was born until I was about 12, I only listened to my parents' music. After that, I started listening to contemporary rock; around 1994 or 95'. I think my parents stopped listening to new artists around 1979. They played stuff by Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Phil Collins. I think Tom Petty was the "newest" artist my parents actively listened to. Pretty main stream groups.

I recently got into Big Star and Alex Chilton and it's now leading me to groups like the Replacements, The Posies, The Cult ... all the pre-grunge rock groups of the 80's. I know I must of heard a few of these groups on the radio, I just had no idea who they were. I didn't have an older sibling to turn me on to this music, so I missed out :(

I was wondering if anyone else out there has blind spots like that; stuff that you would have loved in your youth but for some reason or another, it just got past you?

Snfoilhat likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Alt-country/cowpunk.

Shoulda been right up my alley.

Tired of grunge pretty quickly in college but somehow didn't find the alt-country/cowpunk as an alternative.

Thankfully I did find shoegaze.

Cool thread.

McGlamRock and Snfoilhat like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't have a blind spot in terms of genres or eras, but I seem to have a tendency to miss the boat on cool new music until "late"; the band breaks up, or the artist isn't making new music anymore, etc. Naturally it isn't too late to listen to them, you can listen to anything any time.

For instance, The Mars Volta. Even on paper they sound like something I should have checked out and would like. But I didn't "discover" them until they'd broken up.

4. McGlamRock

(googling Mars Volta)
    I remember hearing about them while I was in college in Arizona. Another group I need to check out!

5. McGlamRock

Were there any artists in particular that you really like (presently) from the Alt country/ cowpunk movement?

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

FYI, "Rock and Roll Blind Spot" is now on my list of prospective album titles.

Matt G, 3fngrs, jackinjax and 2 others like this.
  7. MilwMark

Sun Volt
    Old 97s
    Bottle Rockets
    Uncle Tupelo
    Jason and the Scorchers
    Arguably the first Wilco album

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have friends from this part of California and in some cases their musical tastes were frozen in place in 1974.

Give them Carly Simon, James Taylor and Carole King and they're set - I think for the rest of their lives.

+

But in terms of songwriting, I think it is easily possible you can have too diverse listening tastes and effectively dilute yourself to the point your own songs lack breadth and substance. I'm not a competent enough musician/writer to incorporate all this vastly different stuff.

9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Mojo Nixon, the Beat farmers now playing as the farmers, Dash Rip Rock. Dash and Mojo lean more on the cowpunk side than alt country side though.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't given their whole catalogue enough of a listen to speak on every album, but my favorites so far are Frances the Mute, Amputechture and The Bedlam in Goliath. Just be ready for looooooong songs with no real breaks. It's rewarding, but also taxing.

For instance, Frances has something like 14 or 16 tracks. But there are really only five songs (as in, distinct pieces). The album is full-length, time-wise, but there are only 5 songs. The band just randomly chopped up two of the longer ones (just in terms of track #'s and titles) to meet some contractual obligation of X songs per album.

Have fun!

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I definitely didn't miss bands OP is talking about. That was a big chunk of what I listened to growing up, and into the 90s.

What I did miss, largely because of where I grew up, was lots of good, classic country, and 70s outlaw country. My dad liked classic country, but didn't listen to anything, in part because my mom hated it. But they really didn't listen to much popular music at all. What I got as a kid I gleaned from AOR radio and my older sibs' records as a kid in the 70s. That was all rock and pop/rock. When the 80s hit I was a teen, and MTV and "college radio" were prevalent in my neck of the woods. So I had the occasional cowpunk experience (I was a huge X fan as a kid, and still am). But really the only non-punk country I heard was the occasional nashville crud was on the speakers at whatever truck stop I stopped to pee at on. And I hated that crap. Still do.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas in the late 90s that I got exposed to good country. Texas swing, outlaw, alt-country, etc... You name it. Lots of good stuff there. I still can't listen to most nashville pop country. And so far I've been able to avoid playing in any cover band that would force me to learn it. But I have definitely grown more appreciation for the musicians who play it. It certainly ain't easy.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Bands with names like Aztec Camera and Echo and the Bunnymen.
    I doubt that's actually rock n roll, judging by the names, but it's a blind spot for me, I've no idea what they're about

McGlamRock and ndcaster like this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

X
    Old 97s
    Sonvolt/Uncle Tupelo/Wilco
    Social Distortion

Not cowpunk, but alt-country:
    Jason Isbell
    Lucinda Williams
    Tyler Childers

McGlamRock likes this.
  14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You could always listen to them and find 'what they're about'

You probably won't like them, but you'll be better informed. ;)

File under post punk/new wave pop

6stringcowboy and drlucky like this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, based on their bandnames, I've always been too busy to do that.
    I do like a lot of new wave...

I'm generally not so close-minded, but, your band name is your first shot at making an impression, and, that's the best they could do?

To be fair, I just gave a listen to about ten seconds of each song, and yeah, nope

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

“My Rock and Roll blind spot”

Get some multi-colored mirrors on your hobnail boots...you won’t miss a thing

17. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Good list...What’s arguable about the first Wilco album? I think it’s Americana Gold.

18. MilwMark

Agreed. But to me it's moving from pure alt-country to Americana and beyond, with various songs.

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I missed nearly everything from 89-94 or so. And most anything new. New defined as 2000+. I just don't have the time any more.

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think my blind spot is about like yours, but I'm probably about the age of your parents! Never got into the punk thing, or some of the 80's rock stuff. Then in the 90's I got back in more. I didn't know who AC/DC, or Skynrd were until they got revived!

McGlamRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.