1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Review of the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb 200-watt 2x12" Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dan Spiffy Neuman, Oct 25, 2019.

1. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

Ahh, you are from Fender? If so you know for sure... Is that a yes? Did you go with the Neo speakers to cut down on weight or do you need a flat speaker for modeling?

TJ

2. stilwel

stilwel TDPRI Member

yes, I’m with Fender. They are guitar speakers with Neo magnets. We wanted the tone of a real guitar speaker with lower weight. It uses almost all of the same parts as a Jensen C12Q. They are definitely not flat. Very little was done in DSP regarding the speaker. What you’re hearing is the speaker itself coloring the tone as you would expect with a tube amp.

Anacharsis, guitrr, Blrfl and 3 others like this.
  3. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

Thank you for that information. I may experiment with different speakers and I wasn't sure if was even possible with it being a modeling amp and it not taking speakers the same way as a tube amp. I am digging the amp completely. This should be voted amp of the year.

That Cal Webway and stilwel like this.
  4. donmcnevin

donmcnevin NEW MEMBER!

5. time4change

time4change NEW MEMBER!

Hey folks. New here and don't frequent forums/boards often at all but you all seem to be quite knowledgeable. Please let me know if I'm breaking any rules y'all have. Here goes :
    Been playing a long time but never took the time to really understand the technical side of pairing cabs and the like.
    I just ordered a Tone Master Twin Reverb and my question is :
    Is there any way I can add my 2x12 Egnater Tweaker extension cab to the Twin(even though no ext speaker jack) with my Radial Cab-Link Speaker Cabinet Combiner? and if so, would that bypass the Jenson on the Twin(which I don't want to do)? I was just hoping I could incorporate my Egnater 2x12 for added sound on the other side of the room.
    I apologize if this is a dumb question. I just really don't understand how it all works but I'm very hungry for the tech side knowledge.
    I know I jumped in with the sharks but I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
    Thanks and this is a great forum. So much to learn.
    -deadman-

guitrr likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome. Perhaps Stilwell will chime in with a more informed answer to your question. I have looked at the manual and can only surmise this. I see no extension speaker jack. I read nothing about such a thing. I do read that there this solid state output amp is looking at a 4 ohm load to yield a 200 watt output. Since that is the rated output power, I am going to think that 4 ohms is a minimum load. Solid state power amps have a minimum load requirement. Going to a lower impedance load will put the power amp section in jeopardy...it will not live long. So, it may well be that you are limited in your speaker options here. it could be that IF you had two external speaker cabs each with a load of 8 ohms and with the ability to chain in parallel for a 4 ohm load that you could interrupt the speaker leads from the output amp to the in-cab speakers in order to run those two 8 ohm cabs to achieve what you say you want to do.
    again, I have no experience with this amp...and expect never to have much experience with it. This is only what I have seen, read, and experienced with solid state amps. I would use the amp as designed. Or...return it and buy something that has the ability to offer more options?? Just an observation, but I would wonder why one would buy a ‘weight relief’ amp like this only to want to carry more weight in an extra speaker cab? Also, there is a balanced line out that allows for a connection to the board or one could mic the amp to widen the soundstage?.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  7. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Basically what he said.

Solid state amps dont like to see a load smaller than X. If I REALLY wanted to do this, I'd wire the speakers in each cabinet in series, and then wire the two cabinets in parallel. That will get you an 8 ohm load, which wont be as loud/efficient, but might make you happy.

If you dont understand what I'm suggesting, I wouldnt try it, the Tonemaster is too expensive of an amp to screw up.

8. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Also, you have to make sure all the speakers are in phase or it will sound terrible.

9. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Tried one over the weekend. It's a nice amp. If I was gigging a lot I would be really tempting to get one. That 2X12 sound at 31 pounds is really nice.

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

How about you run the Tonemaster's line out into a small power amp and from there into the 2x12 cabinet? The sound might end up with too much mids since the line out is designed to go into a full-EQ-range PA, not a guitar amp, but I don't know, it might sound just fine depending on what you're looking for, and depending on the EQ settings you can use on the power amp that powers the 2x12. For example, I carry one of these in my gig bag so I have a backup power amp if my tube amp ever blows but the speakers are still working. If you had something like this you could run the Tonemaster balanced line out into it and then into the guitar cab. The 44 Magnum is designed to take an instrument level input, not a line level input (which is louder/higher output), but the ToneMaster Twin does have an output level control on its balanced line out so I think you could just turn it down pretty low and it would be OK. If you modified your Tonemaster Twin slightly so that its speakers plugged into a female phone jack and from there to the actual amp, then in the event your Tonemaster amp died you could do like I do and plug its combo speakers into the 44 Magnum as a backup.

upload_2020-6-23_12-54-38.png

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

+1 for @chris m. suggestion of running the direct out to a small amp to your 2x12 cab. I'm a little curious why you want to use the extra cab, since the TM Twin should kick out plenty of volume for most uses. I have an old SFTR and I've never once felt I needed an extra cab even when playing gigs without a PA. Not questioning you by any means, but genuinely curious about your intended use.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

guitrr likes this.
  12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Just seeing this thread, but GREAT review. Dialing in the amps to sound similar by ear rather than comparing them at similar settings is critical and seeing you do it in real time gave context. As you pointed out, the difference at the same settings can be different examples of the same amp or especially speakers. Nothing new to add, just props :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Anacharsis likes this.
  13. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Thanks!

14. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Grabbed one and did a similar method of dialing it in next to an amp i liked the cleans of and trying to match it. Sounds great. I had a SF twin for a long time and always missed it other than the weight. This is just as good. The surprise is the DI out. The cab sims are the best i have ever heard for an onboard and any of the redbox/palmer etc i have tried. Those who think these are a one trick amp are missing some serious extra tricks of DI and attenuation. I'm a long time tube snob but this TMTR will cover most everything i do very well. Sounds really good with a tubescreamer too, just something about that combo. I don't love TS with many amps but specifically with Fenders with a bright switch on, they are just perfect. I haven't usually used the bright switch on Fenders but i agree with Dan this amp sounds best (by far) with it on. Hope everyone is enjoying theirs.

stilwel and Dan Spiffy Neuman like this.
  15. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

I think that the TMTR is a great amp! I've been using one for about eight months now. As been mentioned earlier, no two twins sound the same. Too many variables. What kind of tubes? How old are they? What kind of speakers and how old and broken in are they? What year is the amp? On and on and on. Set them up side by side and they will almost always sound different. I've plugged into some twins that sounded heavenly and others that sounded like they should be thrown in a dumpster! That being said, the TMTR needs TIME given to it for experimentation. How many twins (and all brands and models of amps for that matter) have people owned and switched out speakers and tubes just for experimentation to see what they sound like? Everyone's ears are different. Some like a twin with JBLs. Some like one with Eminence, etc. Has anyone ever considered trying JBL's (if you like those) for example in a TMTR? Yes, it would add some weight back into the amp, BUT it still wouldn't weigh as much as a tube twin with JBL's in it. Even if it added 20 lbs you're only getting it up to about 53 lbs or so. And remember, you're gonna take SOME weight out of the TMTR when you remove the stock neo-Jensons. I'm guessing those together weigh 8-10 pounds. So now you have a 25-pound amp. Add a couple of 10 lb speakers to the mix and you're up to 40-50 lbs or so. If you're accustomed to carrying around a 70-100 lb twin, this is going to seem like a cakewalk! I've been considering trying a couple of Eminence Cannabis Rex's in mine. I always thought that was a great sounding speaker. It probably wouldn't add 10 lbs to the amp either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.